What is your Operating System?

What is your Operating sydtem?

• Total voters

murthymsr

Dear all,

Before designing any software, the developer will have to decide on the supported OS's and other installed software. he may be able to choose the software design so that all or as many operating systems as possible are supported. while the later operating systems/software provide more features, the earlier versions may still have to be supported in view of the suffiecient no of systems in use. in order to have a good trade-off, knowledge of the user's operating system will be helpful.

to get the reasonably fair idea of the population of OS's among the members, this poll is created. all may participate with relevant information.

you may expect to have a few more polls on other system information very soon.

if you have more than one system with different OS's, the more frequently used one or the older version of OS may be selected.

you may also make a post with information which you may feel relevant.

all the best.
MurthyMSR

Last edited:

pkjha30

Hi Murthy Garu

I have XP, 98(off site) and RHL-FC4(dual Booting)

My Preferred OS - XP.

Software should be able to support XP, 98 .

I have VB6 and VB.net(sharp develop) might get Visual Studio 2005
If linux is to be supported then C++ may be the choice.Visual C++ may not be suitable but Borland C++ is also fine. Purely linux , then some other visual IDEs are available free of cost suitable either for KDE or Gnome.

Pankaj

murthymsr

pkjha30 said:
Hi Murthy Garu

I have XP, 98(off site) and RHL-FC4(dual Booting)

My Preferred OS - XP.

Software should be able to support XP, 98 .

I have VB6 and VB.net(sharp develop) might get Visual Studio 2005
If linux is to be supported then C++ may be the choice.Visual C++ may not be suitable but Borland C++ is also fine. Purely linux , then some other visual IDEs are available free of cost suitable either for KDE or Gnome.

Pankaj
dear pankaj,

thanks for the detailed info.

unfortunately we may not be able to choose the language, it's the expertise of the coder and his competence level which may decide the issue, even more than it's suitability.

but this poll may give some statistical information about the OS's, so that at design stage, we may be able to say that these OS's 'may' be supported. a few older OS's, if sufficient representation is not there, may not be supported. any support to an older OS may result in deprival of some advanced features. it may be painful, but, we may have to accept it.

looks like you are a linux lover. :) . if you come across any window's compilations of trading sw from the linux forums, you may provide the links for ready use by members.

however, if we have coders in 'C' family, we can make platform independent softwares.

all the best.
murthymsr

murthymsr said:
Dear all,

Before designing any software, the developer will have to decide on the supported OS's and other installed software. he may be able to choose the software design so that all or as many operating systems as possible are supported. while the later operating systems/software provide more features, the earlier versions may still have to be supported in view of the suffiecient no of systems in use. in order to have a good trade-off, knowledge of the user's operating system will be helpful.

to get the reasonably fair idea of the population of OS's among the members, this poll is created. all may participate with relevant information.

you may expect to have a few more polls on other system information very soon.

if you have more than one system with different OS's, the more frequently used one or the older version of OS may be selected.

you may also make a post with information which you may feel relevant.

all the best.
MurthyMSR
Murthy,
As far as Windows goes, a lot of people still have Win98SE running on their machines, so it would be the OS for the application to run on. I have no knowledge of other OS'.
Regards
Kuldeep

murthymsr

kuldeep49 said:
Murthy,
As far as Windows goes, a lot of people still have Win98SE running on their machines, so it would be the OS for the application to run on. I have no knowledge of other OS'.
Regards
Kuldeep
dear kuldeep,

i too love win98 and have been using this OS since 98 and offce 97 since around the same year! of late i have been feeling that many recently developed software made available in the internet do not support win98. the reason is that if some advanced features are to be built into the software, the older OS & office versions are not having those features.

now the question is a judicious trade off between the additional features that can be provided and support to older OS. you may try the two programs made available by COOL_TETRA. the first one by name GAPANA works on win98 & all later OS's. but when we started adding additional features, and made COOLINTRA, it was not functioning on WIN98/office 97. we made extensive modifications to check if support can be provided to the older versions, but without success.

you may refer the two program, link of which is given below.

http://www.traderji.com/software/6866-coolworks-7.html

hope you understand and appreciate the efforts by the motivated and selfless software developers who are sparing a lot of their time for making the software and delivering to members of this forum.

if any developed software does not support an older version of SW, it is because those earlier versions do not have the capability to provide the features called for by the developed program.

after nearly 7 years of usage of WIN98 and Office97 on my pld PC, TODAY, i have aquired a new PC with wIN XP professional and Office XP, insite of great love for WIN98 and OFFICE97.

all the best.
MurthymSR

Hello all,

As per my observation XP and 98 are the most used ones, but XP is used extensively and is better in total experiance than most of the others apart from some specific uses. Hope i make some sense.

Cheers
G-unit

pkjha30

murthymsr said:
....after nearly 7 years of usage of WIN98 and Office97 on my pld PC, TODAY, i have aquired a new PC with wIN XP professional and Office XP, insite of great love for WIN98 and OFFICE97.

all the best.
MurthymSR
Hi MurthyGaru

That's great news. :) But you can always dualboot or triple boot (that is what I do to use 64 bit WindowXP , 32 bit normal window xp and RHL-FC4) without problem and also use 98 when you want to run older programmes
Pankaj

murthymsr

pkjha30 said:
Hi MurthyGaru

That's great news. :) But you can always dualboot or triple boot (that is what I do to use 64 bit WindowXP , 32 bit normal window xp and RHL-FC4) without problem and also use 98 when you want to run older programmes
Pankaj
yes pankaj, you are right. but i missed this point yesterday, when the OS was loaded. i may do so whenever i had to reload the OS at a later date.

thanks for pointing out.
MurthyMSR