What are broken wing strategies and how to trade them

SaravananKS

I think you got confused by my statement...what I mean in simple terms is that currently market is going up...book your profit when you see some resistance and go for put spread instead of waiting for the profit position to turn to losses. One can have a view until expiry but allowing a profit position to turn to losses is not a good idea instead he can keep SL's and switch to another spread. Hope that clarifies.
OK,

Again when you have Good profit I would Prefer a Credit Spread for profit Locking

Suppose Nifty Moves 100 Pts Up (Favour Direction ) I would Sell 6300 Ce and Buy 6400 CE

then it becomes zero cost Butterfly which has maximum 100 Points Profit probabilities ( for two lots 10000/- for Zero Risk)

:thumb:

@ all, thank you all for your contributions to my trade. I took this trade since this is the first time that I have traded a strategy i.e. a call debit spread. Till now I had only purchased either a put or a call option and hence it was not any strategy. And that too with 2-3 days view in mind. This is the first time that I have traded a "strategy" with expiry in mind. I was earlier wondering that if have to only gamble around 2500 rupees without any strategy then with the same bullish view I should buy 1 lot of Call 6250 Nifty at 41 rupees. In that case also my maximum loss would be 2050 rupees only (41 x 50). But then I thought that this isn't any strategy of only buying Call option and holding till expiry.
Though I have not any plans for adjusting this trade, if before one week before expiry if the nifty is around 6000 or less and my then revised view would be that nifty will now not cross 6200 then I can cover up my long Call 6200 Nifty option for small amount to earn back a little from my already lost amount 2245 rupees and continue to hold the other leg of short Call 6300 Nifty option till expiry on 31 Oct. So my net loss will be less than orginal of 2245. But in the process of the entire activity I will have learnt to implement and manage a strategy. I am still a novice in this field so am not sure if the strike price or the spreads chosen are right or wrong. But for me it is a start I have made to be in the market with a view.

Reki

DanPickUp

@Reki

I will not comment on your trade, as others like Mmca2006, Ananths or SaravananKS already do it in a wise way. So you are in good hands with those people. I also highly recommend you to concentrate on the threads of those people, as the trades they do are far more realistic to your given situation from your exchange in India compare to what I sometimes implement.

The post you refer to and came up with your questions was an answer to a question from Comm4300. He knows me since a longer time and he knows in certain ways what I do and where I trade. I am not sure if you have all that information. Some more about me you also can find in the thread: Option trading with DanPickUp. So be very clear about that and do not overestimate yourself about what you know until now about options and specific about option trading in live markets with real money. Doing paper trades is fine and surely helps. Success in paper trading shows you the skills you do not have in real trading, as it is only a could be success and not a real success. Just keep that in mind. :)

Coming to your questions, which are clever and which shows your interest in the subject, as following:

1. If you could kindly clarify that you put 3 or 4 strategies all together in the market or you implement 1 strategy and then make adjustments. If you do 3/4strategies at same time then are they for different time frames or for different underlying.

Yes, I do. Yes sometimes I implement three or four different option strategies more or less in a few days on different time frames on different underlying. I also sometimes start with a naked option leg and then convert that in to different strategies during the live time of the trade. Those converting can include up to four different strategy changes until the final picture is given.

Each of those strategies are needed to know in its last detail and have to be trade before and written down in a trading plan. As it is a repeating in the follow up steps, it is not as difficult as it sounds. But to stay on the top of it, the trading plan must exist in advance, as otherwise under stress I am not able to find the right legs I have to reduce or to add. I would say: Preparation is the word. It is the same like doing in any other job: You prepare yourself for the coming working day, don’t you? At least when running your own company and trading is like running a business.

I do advise you not to take unnecessary risk in your ongoing option trading and I do advise you not to trade like I explained above, as under stress conditions this could hurt your trading account hardly. You should know that I have various futures I can trade which offer various options on various time frames. (CME) You on the other hand are not in that comfortable situation and specially: You do not use any option matrix in your option trading. Even If you would use one, you would have to know the tricks when and how to convert with witch add or removing of specific legs. So do not try to copy that style of mine as I not can teach that stuff in every detail here in an open forum. But never mind.

2. And also when you say your second criteria is Volatility in the market (high or low) - you are talking about the volatility (HV) of the underlying or the Implied vola (IV) of respective options.

Depends on what I want to do. If I want to trade on the HV of the underlying with a simple strategy like short or long straddle, I will first check the HV on the underlying, as the long or short straddle is done atm. If I go for a more complex strategy, then I surely check both of those Volas. I will check the HV to decide if short or long and then I will check the IV of the options to check what spread I may use for an Iron Condor.

I am clear that there are many questions come up when starting to trade with options. So kindly go through my thread and kindly keep it simple in your situation.

Take care / DanPickUp

Hi Dan, thank you very much for your answers, it helped a lot to clear my understanding. For last one month I was reading your forum you mentioned in your post and AW10 forum too. My understanding on option has deepend and thank you for sharing. As you cautioned me, I will definitely not overestimate myself by undertaking real money trades till I get fuller and practical understanding of making adjustments in the trade. So since I do not have enough knowledge of adjustments I will close my trade on Monday morning itself.

Reki

@ Dan, when I took the debit trade yesterday, I had one month view in mind and I entered a debit spread with both the legs in together. With this one question came to my mind, that when you enter market with options strategy, say like iron condor which has four legs and your view is one month, expert traders like you will leg in one by one. That is fine. But till what time you will take to enter fully i.e. you are in with all legs. Would it be within one week, two weeks or what time? Also specifically if the view is one month, would you be checking your positions daily or on weekly basis. I am very curious to learn this aspect in options trading

Reki

DanPickUp

@ Dan, when I took the debit trade yesterday, I had one month view in mind and I entered a debit spread with both the legs in together. With this one question came to my mind, that when you enter market with options strategy, say like iron condor which has four legs and your view is one month, expert traders like you will leg in one by one. That is fine. But till what time you will take to enter fully i.e. you are in with all legs. Would it be within one week, two weeks or what time? Also specifically if the view is one month, would you be checking your positions daily or on weekly basis. I am very curious to learn this aspect in options trading

Reki
@Reki

Will see what I will do with your question, as most here know that I am not a spoon feeder. Had to learn a lot by my self, so not really interested to give away that just for free and you not even have to risk your own money. Not really interested to do so or would you be interested to do so? I do not mind to help, but you will have to accept that there is a limit.

DanPickUp

Hi Dan, I felt that here we can exchange ideas what each other knows. It would have been great if you could have shared your knowledge.

Reki

@ Comm4300, GMT900, mmca2006, sharvanks, ananths, people who are trading options strategies with one month view can take the question and give feedback as how you have been managing entry i.e. legging in and at what interval you monitor, daily or weekly

Reki

@ Dan, one more idea has come to my mind relating to the call debit spread I have taken yesterday. Instead of fully closing this trade on monday, I now plan to make adjustments in this trades and here is my plan. Kindly guide me where I can be wrong with my plan.

My current position :
Long Call 6200 Nifty Option
Short Call 6300 Nifty Option

Since my net debit is 22.45 rupees per unit, I will try to recover my debit amount first. For this purpose I will only play with Short Call 6300 Nifty Option. This is because this is a short position which can have unlimited losses. The long postion (Call 6200 Nifty option) has limited risk equal to the premium already paid.

What I plan to do is that when my view is very bullish for 1 or 2 days, I will cover my short Call 6300 Nifty option first. So I will only have long Call 6200 Nifty option position. Once my view is over I will short Call 6300 Nifty option at much higher price and have Call debit spread position. So if my view is correct this way I will try to recover 22.45 rupees and make it in positive till middle of this month ie. in two weeks time.

If my view is wrong then I will have to lose entire premium paid on Long Call 6200 option. Since this amount will be big for me as I have got two lots position I will close one lot spread position on Monday and do the above juggling with one lot spread position.

Reki

Last edited:

DanPickUp

Hi Dan, I felt that here we can exchange ideas what each other knows. It would have been great if you could have shared your knowledge.

Reki
Well, as you not know much about what I do, so there is not much to share with you. Nothing personal. I have shared to a certain limit, like Saint and ST and many others did, and that's it. Capizze?

DanPickUp