TT - Tech Talk (Computers, Laptops, Tablets, Mobiles, Devices, Systems & Software)

lvgandhi

Re: TT - Tech Talk (Computers, Laptops, Tablets, Mobiles, Devices, Systems & Software

I have a Win - 7 o/s and now Microsoft is pestering me to upgrade to Win-10 free of charge ( free till 29/7/16).

Has anybody used win-10? Should I accept the offer and upgrade? How is the performance of win-10? Any other care that I should take?

Pl. help!
I am also using win 10 from Jul 2015. Good.

vijkris

Learner and Follower

vijkris

Learner and Follower
Re: TT - Tech Talk (Computers, Laptops, Tablets, Mobiles, Devices, Systems & Software

hi dsm ji,
thanks to this post of yours, I understood that cable broadbands is faster than wireless ones.
finally ditched reliance netconnect+ as it was not getting upgraded to 4g.

got YOU BB , 100Mbps ,400gb data for 3months, total charges 2033 .
this is the speed test results.
i just remembered dsm ji's email to tata fellows in which it was discovered that speed depends on the cables. i opted for 100mbps but was getting upto 70 mbps. then realised that it must have been the limitation of router. so did an experiment and connected the wire directly to lan port of desktop. this is the result:

:rofl:

DSM

VijKris,

Great hack :thumb::thumb::thumb:

One question though - If you connect the wire to your desktop, you will not get wifi and be restricted to one device right? Or you have another hack to overcome this limitation? :lol::lol::lol:

i just remembered dsm ji's email to tata fellows in which it was discovered that speed depends on the cables. i opted for 100mbps but was getting upto 70 mbps. then realised that it must have been the limitation of router. so did an experiment and connected the wire directly to lan port of desktop. this is the result:

:rofl:

vijkris

Learner and Follower

VijKris,

Great hack :thumb::thumb::thumb:

One question though - If you connect the wire to your desktop, you will not get wifi and be restricted to one device right? Or you have another hack to overcome this limitation? :lol::lol::lol:
ya u r right. net ll be restricted to one device.
we can create soft wifi hotspot in win 7 using connectify software. still i m not interested. for that hack :D
70 mbps is more than enough for me. just wanted to check whether i m getting the promised speed or not. :D

its a dream come true to have such high speeds in india. frankly speaking 10/20 mbps is more than enough for me.

ya u r right. net ll be restricted to one device.
we can create soft wifi hotspot in win 7 using connectify software. still i m not interested. for that hack :D
70 mbps is more than enough for me. just wanted to check whether i m getting the promised speed or not. :D

its a dream come true to have such high speeds in india. frankly speaking 10/20 mbps is more than enough for me.
Why can't one input the connection to a router ?

This will allow WiFi and cable connectivity to multiple devices simultaneously from one internet connection.

DSM

Quite an underutilized feature of Google - Image Search :

Alternatively, if you have an image saved on your desktop, the same can also be 'image searched'

1. Go to Google

2. Type 'Image Search'

3. You will get this web address : https://images.google.com/ - Click on Camera

4. Now two different options will be made available as below :

Enjoy search - :):):)

DSM

It's not paranoia: Hackers can use your webcam to spy on you - BY Tim Johnson (Edited excerpt)

http://www.mcclatchydc.com/news/nation-world/national/article86633737.html#storylink=cpy

Mark Zuckerberg of Facebook does it. So does FBI Director James Comey. Should you? What they do is cover up their laptop webcams – sometimes with just a piece of opaque tape – blocking scuzzball computer hackers from activating the built-in cameras and spying on them. Perhaps in their bedrooms. The hackers do it using a type of malware, or malicious software, that lets them remotely hijack computers. In hacker lingo, they take control and “enslave” computers. Motives of the hackers vary. Some are Peeping Toms. Others are extortionists. Still others lurk to obtain any kind of personal information or image to sell on the underground global market.

At a forum on cybersecurity this week in Washington, Assistant Attorney General John P. Carlin, who heads the national security division, said he was all for taping over webcams, given the prevalence of computer hacking. “It does seem like a good idea,” Carlin said. Zuckerberg, the Facebook chief executive, posted a routine-looking photo last week to his own Facebook account – 70.2 million followers – that touted Instagram, the Facebook-owned mobile photo-sharing app. Sharp-eyed viewers noticed that a laptop computer behind him had silver tape over the webcam and the microphone jack.

FBI Director Comey admitted in a question-and-answer session April 6 at Kenyon College in Ohio that he saw a colleague with tape over his webcam and decided to follow suit. “I have, obviously, a laptop, personal laptop. I put a piece of tape over the camera. Because I saw somebody smarter than I am had a piece of tape over their camera,” Comey told students. Data security experts say the threat is real, prevalent and worth precautionary action.

“It’s not bad advice, per se. The effort it takes is very minimal,” said Satnam Narang, senior security response manager at Norton by Symantec, the California-based global data security firm. The culprits commonly use RAT malware – which stands for remote access Trojan – and the hackers are sometimes called ratters. They attach the malware to photos, music files, documents or video and lure the user to click.

If you think you’d notice a little light coming on, indicating the webcam is in use, you could be wrong, experts said. “It’s been shown that there is software that is able to disable the little light and still activate the webcam,” said Balint Seeber, the director of vulnerability research at Bastille, a cybersecurity firm with offices in Silicon Valley and Atlanta.

Webcams in offices or manufacturing plants can get views of whiteboards or capture trade secrets, she added, and microphones can be hacked as well, to allow eavesdropping. The RAT malware is easily obtainable and out-of-the-box easy, said Adam Benson, deputy executive director of the Digital Citizens Alliance, a nonprofit organziation focused on internet safety. “What’s scariest about it is not who’s doing it but how easy it is to do,” Benson said.

Malware with names like Sub7, Cerberus, njRAT, DarkComet and Sakula can let hackers root around a computer’s hard drive, performing all tasks – without consent. “They can see into people’s lives, which is pretty eerie. There are some sick people out there,” said Dan Ford, forensic analyst and tactical security engineer at Rook Security, a global IT security firm based in Indianapolis. “We call it creepware,” said Narang, of Norton by Symantec. “The end goal is to steal information. You can sell that information en masse. . . . The extortion part and the Peeping Tom part is a small subset.”

Seeber, the vulnerability expert, said those applying tape to their webcams shouldn’t rest easy. If they use wireless devices like a mouse, the radio frequency between the device and the dongle plugged into the computer make it vulnerable, too. “You can actually hack into someone’s computer through that wireless dongle,” he said.

DSM

Reliance Lyf price drop: Get free 4G data for 3 months with Rs 2,999 phone

http://indianexpress.com/article/te...months-unlimited-4g-with-lyf-mobiles-2897678/

While the full-scale launch of Reliance Jio’s 4G service is still awaited, Reliance Lyf phones have seen a price-cut. The price-cut is listed on the company’s website and Reliance Jio confirmed with IndianExpress dot com, that the same will also be applicable in Reliance stores. The interesting bit with the price-cut is that users can buy a Lyf phone for as low as Rs 2,999 and will get a Jio SIM free with 3 months of unlimited 4G data.

Lyf Flame 1 will now cost you Rs 4,999 (a discount of Rs 1,000); Lyf Water 5 is now priced at Rs 7,599 (original price Rs 11,699); Lyf Earth 1 is available for Rs 19,499 (price at launch Rs 23,990); Lyf Flame 3 and Flame 4 have both got a Rs 1,000 cut in price and are now available for Rs 2,999 each. Reliance says more discounts could be available on some of its phones soon, and we could expect more details tomorrow. Currently users can only buy a Reliance Jio 4G SIM if they have a Lyf phone or buy a new phone. Users can also register on the Reliance Jio website in case they are interested in getting the 4G connection.

Reliance Jio 4G was launched last year, with only employees getting access to it on a trial basis to test the network’s capabilities. With the introduction of Reliance 4G, other telecom giants like Airtel and Vodafone are racing to upgrade their networks to 4G in order to stay competitive. It should be noted that Reliance Jio will only offer 4G connectivity across India and has rights to the largest pan-India spectrum for the high-speed networks.