Should I do a course in Microsoft Excel?

ashu1234

And let me lead you to the following link
http://pages.stern.nyu.edu/~adamodar/
This guy Aswath Damodaran, is the big daddy of modelling, very intelligent guy, has published many papers and most b school students follow this guy to learn modelling specially from the Indian context. Google him and see his work, coz fundamental analysis in todays scenario can't be don't on paper there are sophisticated modelling tools which are must.
All the best.

Giraffe

BTW, jokes apart, Sirf plain Excel se trading ka kaam nahin chalega.
You will need some proficiency in Excel VBA programming also.
That's the difficult part, Excel alone you can learn easily in 30 days.
But that won't suffice for intra-day trading. Excel VBA is must to "spread the wings" in Excel.....:thumb::thumb:

ashu1234

BTW, jokes apart, Sirf plain Excel se trading ka kaam nahin chalega.
You will need some proficiency in Excel VBA programming also.
That's the difficult part, Excel alone you can learn easily in 30 days.
But that won't suffice for intra-day trading. Excel VBA is must to "spread the wings" in Excel.....:thumb::thumb:
Excel is not exactly trading tool, but yes some people still use it to calculate basic things which can be easily done in freely available softwares. I have seen excel sheet where people draw charts, prepare customized formulas but for intraday trading I won't recommend using excel, no need of reinventing the wheel, all of my above posts were from the fundamental perspective only.

Mr.G

Can't believe you said you don't trust excel.
Have you done any financial modelling yourself, because I have, and most of the modelling nowadays is done only in excel. Take any recent book of financial modelling and it will lead you to templates which are built in excel.
Dear friend I've gone through a lot of modelling in the beginning of my career and i have to take 5-10 years of data starting from sales to dividend which can't be done on papers, can't get how are you doing fundamental analysis on papers. And I'm talking about things which were done just 5 years back. So please update yourself.
It takes hours upon hours! Mujhe excel chalana nahi aata. :? Calculator lekar bethe rehta honn. :p

maneverfix

It takes hours upon hours! Mujhe excel chalana nahi aata. :? Calculator lekar bethe rehta honn. :p
Boss you are master in creating confusions, sometimes you jumpstart as master of some subject, some times you behave as a newbee, but any way like to read your posts.

rkkarnani

As FA is your strength, I would suggest that drop the idea to look at "Patterns" and TA for the time being. Learn Excel and you are going to excel in your FA !
Its almost unbelieveable that an youngster and a FA like you do not know how to use Excel. Drop all else and start learning Spreadsheets NOW !!! :mad:

Mr.G

As FA is your strength, I would suggest that drop the idea to look at "Patterns" and TA for the time being. Learn Excel and you are going to excel in your FA !
Its almost unbelieveable that an youngster and a FA like you do not know how to use Excel. Drop all else and start learning Spreadsheets NOW !!! :mad:
I am young sir. I have alot of time on my hands and no responsibility. I want to make full use of my time, while im young to become one successful when I grow up. Not normal rich type person, I want to be in forbes. Even right now I used my pocket money to start microfinance business and now use those profits to invest in other business like motor parts. I dont work myself, but i analysis and then invest in these micro-businesses. FA has helped me alot in all this. Warren buffet owns MNCs I own micro-Cs. :D :thumb:

Boss you are master in creating confusions, sometimes you jumpstart as master of some subject, some times you behave as a newbee, but any way like to read your posts.
I focused most of my time on a particular topic. And became adept at it. I didnt focus on other things and didnt learn them very well as I didn't need them because I used formulas given in books n not excel sheets.

If you have read my thread and my relies to others you might have seen I have focused on learning FA. I blocked everything out.

Now that I have learned basic FA and focusing on my niche of dividend-growth, I have more time on my hands. I want to fill all my faults with that time and become a complete professional analyst. And after a few years I will seek clients out of my immediate circle.