Votes: 41 44.1%
  • I regret quitting my job

Votes: 21 22.6%
  • I balance trading with job perfectly

Votes: 31 33.3%

• Total voters

Trader987

The Disciplined Trader
If you are really going to quite your job and work as a full time trader then before quitting the job, first you should set some passive income sources for you in case of losses in trading to full fill your basic demands. :thumb:

I am a software professional and interested in trading since 1 year.
During that time, I have developed backtesting system with EoD data and developed a trading strategy which looks promising.
However, I have started actively trading since only 2 months and the real trading results are at par with the strategy.

Should I quit my soul sucking job for full time trading?
Does anyone who has done the same have any advise?
Full time traders, please suggest....
Dear DPA,

I just happened to read your thread, and wanted to comment on it.
I did exactly the same 3 years back. Quit my job from TCS and started trading full time based on the past 3 months paper trading in FnO.

I had sleepless nights as my cash-level was draining with losses.
My paper trades were right but unfortunately they were done in trending market. When I quit my job the market was range-bound and I suffered only losses.
Some one rightly said in the thread that - you have to experience it at least for 1 year to decide to do it full time. But looking at the current Indian market scenario I will say try it for 2 years. We have Modi govt, foreigners are pumping in money which can take the markets up and up for another year - But remember this won't happen every year.
I will say if you suceed in range-bound markets, volatile markets - then you can say that you are ready for trading full time.

Luckily I am back into IT, and doing side by side positional short-term equity trading only.

Good luck to you!

Ashwini

DPA

Dear DPA,

I did exactly the same 3 years back. Quit my job from TCS and started trading full time based on the past 3 months paper trading in FnO.

My paper trades were right but unfortunately they were done in trending market. When I quit my job the market was range-bound and I suffered only losses.
Some one rightly said in the thread that - you have to experience it at least for 1 year to decide to do it full time. But looking at the current Indian market scenario I will say try it for 2 years. We have Modi govt, foreigners are pumping in money which can take the markets up and up for another year - But remember this won't happen every year.
I will say if you suceed in range-bound markets, volatile markets - then you can say that you are ready for trading full time.

Luckily I am back into IT, and doing side by side positional short-term equity trading only.

Good luck to you!

Ashwini
Thanks for the thoughts.

On a side note, can I ask for how long were you trading full time?
As I understand, it is quite difficult to get into industry after a sabbatical.
Difficulty in getting back into a job if things don't work out is one of my concerns as well.

Thanks for the thoughts.

On a side note, can I ask for how long were you trading full time?
As I understand, it is quite difficult to get into industry after a sabbatical.
Difficulty in getting back into a job if things don't work out is one of my concerns as well.
I was trading full time for about 3-4 months.
Yes it is always a little difficult to get back, thats is why I didn't wait for a bigger gap. I quickly decided to jump back to IT.
You have to keep trying for new job.. settle for a little less than market rate CTC, etc.... but that is the risk you have to take.

DPA

I was trading full time for about 3-4 months.
Yes it is always a little difficult to get back, thats is why I didn't wait for a bigger gap. I quickly decided to jump back to IT.
You have to keep trying for new job.. settle for a little less than market rate CTC, etc.... but that is the risk you have to take.
Thanks. And good luck....

cloudTrader

Dear DPA,

Good luck to you!

Ashwini
To add to this good post [in quotes above] , 70% of the time Markets will be in sideways mode ... to win in sideways markets one really needs lot of deep understanding which requires almost 10,000 hours of dedicated learning ..

using head and shoulder they make the market ..
Traps are for both bulls and bear.
in the end if u able to maintain position for like 1 to 2 yrs Bull always win atleast in nifty :xD

So have a job / fixed other income so u will get food no matter whatever u do loss or profit.
In stock market no one dies virgin. it rapes them all lool.

have u met a trader who has never made loss in there career i haven;t lol