Nse halt for around 15 minutues (5th sept 2013)... Heavy loss

Reggie

Manoj,

Looking post facto, you think that you panicked and squared off early. This line of reasoning is because the market recovered. What if the market had moved lower than your exits.?

The fact to keep in mind while trading is that we have to take a decision at a time in moment, and the future trend is uncertain.

I think if it hurts, or when one is not sure, it better to book available profit or take losses and quit. The market will always give you another opportunity to enter.

I made a loss of 10000 today as I was long and nf fell and in panic I squared off my position.
This happened to me 2nd time, first was son 20th April when nf made a low of 5000 and that day too I was long and squared off my position in a hurry.

So lesson learned now is not to panic and it is better to have a physical stop loss than mental stop to avoid huge losses.

One more thing when nf made a low of 5000 on 20th april after that market started drifting down and made a low of 4767
So just hoping that history repeats itself and market drifts lower and my loss is recovered, my expected target is now 5600

Manoj,

Looking post facto, you think that you panicked and squared off early. This line of reasoning is because the market recovered. What if the market had moved lower than your exits.?

The fact to keep in mind while trading is that we have to take a decision at a time in moment, and the future trend is uncertain.

I think if it hurts, or when one is not sure, it better to book available profit or take losses and quit. The market will always give you another opportunity to enter.
Perfectly agree with you. I would like to add -
There was a trade in which the stoploss order was not entered, and after hitting the intended stoploss it went higher resulting in good profits.
This one trade was enough to kill all the discipline of the trader and create total disrespect for the stoploss!

suri112000

Perfectly agree with you. I would like to add -
There was a trade in which the stoploss order was not entered, and after hitting the intended stoploss it went higher resulting in good profits.
This one trade was enough to kill all the discipline of the trader and create total disrespect for the stoploss!
Superb.:clap:

Anillal

Hi,

today nse CASH market halt for 15 minutes... My stoploss hit badly for many scrips (stoploss price not worked)... Heavy loss.. Why happened this...

There is no safety for stock market....

Pls tell

thanks
Please note. In the final analysis you would find that there is no safety in life either. But you do not stop living, do you? :)

I made a loss of 10000 today as I was long and nf fell and in panic I squared off my position.
This happened to me 2nd time, first was son 20th April when nf made a low of 5000 and that day too I was long and squared off my position in a hurry.

So lesson learned now is not to panic and it is better to have a physical stop loss than mental stop to avoid huge losses.

One more thing when nf made a low of 5000 on 20th april after that market started drifting down and made a low of 4767
So just hoping that history repeats itself and market drifts lower and my loss is recovered, my expected target is now 5600
Don't kick yourself sir. Squaring off in panic is a normal human act which seems like a big mistake afterwards. As they say sh*t happens. Physical stops generally get bypassed in flash crash or rally so there is no point in giving undue importance to physical stop which is available to the biggies anyway. It would be like playing poker with your cards open. Thing is such events are like sudden earthquakes which always do some damage no matter how prepared you are. Best way to remain prepared for such events is to make a habit of being less greedy. Don't push your profit for another few ticks rather take when it is available easily or get out of trade if it is wasting time. One may get an ego boost now and then by squeezing the market for few last points but believe me when market's turn comes its squeeze leaves one almost lifeless. Above all always keep your positions very very light. If one's account can afford to enter a trade with 3 SBIN lots comfortably in one go then enter with maximum 60 SBI shares instead. You can always add later. And if possible keep away from the lure of option buying. More accounts have gone bust because of options buying than any other reason. At least that is what I believe.

SEBI not able to control such frauds,Such incidents Discourage Retail Investors. Sorry state of market in india...

give penalty to sebi and nse. Else all investors will loose their faith

trade4putuval

I think we need to check your timings of your trade! Who knows you might be having a hand in all the freaky trades so far unknowingly or astrologically or .... ;). Just joking!

Pray you will get a chance to retrieve the money lost yesterday by next week!!! :thumb:

trade4putuval

Above all always keep your positions very very light. If one's account can afford to enter a trade with 3 SBIN lots comfortably in one go then enter with maximum 60 SBI shares instead. You can always add later. And if possible keep away from the lure of option buying. More accounts have gone bust because of options buying than any other reason. At least that is what I believe.
I do not agree with this point. How do you know that a freaky trade is going to happen?

If the person has been able to make profit or loss on all days with 3 SBIN lots, how can he decide whether he should go with 60 SBI shares, and that too fearing that any day a freaky trade is bound to happen!!! Kindly enlighten!