Jio subscriptions - could be very significant already!

protrade

In recent interviews, Mukesh Ambani has gone on the record saying that Reliance Jio customer interest has exceeded his expectations by a factor of 100.

Mukesh Ambani clearly doesn't think small - and even if he was being hyperbolic in saying 100 times more than expected, it still could be a stunning response.

Many places reported lines for Jio Sim cards. And with Jio being free till the end of the year, the sooner you get the SIM, the more you benefit. So it is quite natural to see a heavy rush for the SIM cards.

How heavy is the question. In a country like India, could Mukesh Ambani have pulled off 5 million subscribers in 4 days? Or is that way too much? Or could he have pulled off significantly more than 5 million? What's the number that would stun markets, and what's the number that we would take for granted?

Jio is dealing with massive Interconnect issues with other operators - but because the service is free till year end, customers cant really complain. They will be happy to use the service just for the free data. And if they garner something like 25 million subscribers by year end, that would make them a big force to reckon with. Who knows, they could even manage to create their very own network effect inside that 25 million subscriber base!

Indian telecoms have become a very interesting Game Theory exercise! How will subscribers react? How will other operators react? How will the regulator react? How will be bids in the upcoming spectrum auction go? Will Jio drop prices further post the free period - clearly, its current plans aren't really a major threat to operators - but what if this just their opening gambit?

Hi

Mukesh had Promised walk in with a Aadhar card and get activation done in 15 Minutes :D

There are people all over net/blogs/twitter/consumer complaint sites complaining about

No sims available
Supposedly Free Sims being black marketed (for Rs 300-500)
No activation even after 15 days
No response to complaints emails
No response from CC numbers
Now we know, this is exactly kind of customer experience every one expects from Reliance family :thumb:

Anyway fans will remain fans no matter what :)

Happy :)

deba72

Even if things stabilize a bit after the initial glitches, I don't expect anything great on the customer services front in the long run...

BTW I am looking to a buy a JioFi this weekend ...anyone has any feedback about the device to share ?

DSM

Not surprised.... At home, we all are looking to subscribe to Jio more for wifi and data, but only once things settle down... And yes, heard from someone who went for the SIM, there were lots of people, SIM were not available, and some people were selling in black... One major issue for Jio seems to be about inter-connectivity with other operators, but I am planning to retain my previous numbers as well. With the Indian consumer being price sensitive, as well as looking for cheap data and value for money, will not be surprised that by within a year Jio will become a top 3 telecom company in terms of customers as well as revenue and will beat the ARPU's of all other telcos as well.

In recent interviews, Mukesh Ambani has gone on the record saying that Reliance Jio customer interest has exceeded his expectations by a factor of 100.

Mukesh Ambani clearly doesn't think small - and even if he was being hyperbolic in saying 100 times more than expected, it still could be a stunning response.

Many places reported lines for Jio Sim cards. And with Jio being free till the end of the year, the sooner you get the SIM, the more you benefit. So it is quite natural to see a heavy rush for the SIM cards.

How heavy is the question. In a country like India, could Mukesh Ambani have pulled off 5 million subscribers in 4 days? Or is that way too much? Or could he have pulled off significantly more than 5 million? What's the number that would stun markets, and what's the number that we would take for granted?

Jio is dealing with massive Interconnect issues with other operators - but because the service is free till year end, customers cant really complain. They will be happy to use the service just for the free data. And if they garner something like 25 million subscribers by year end, that would make them a big force to reckon with. Who knows, they could even manage to create their very own network effect inside that 25 million subscriber base!

Indian telecoms have become a very interesting Game Theory exercise! How will subscribers react? How will other operators react? How will the regulator react? How will be bids in the upcoming spectrum auction go? Will Jio drop prices further post the free period - clearly, its current plans aren't really a major threat to operators - but what if this just their opening gambit?

protrade

Hi

Mukesh had Promised walk in with a Aadhar card and get activation done in 15 Minutes :D

There are people all over net/blogs/twitter/consumer complaint sites complaining about

No sims available
Supposedly Free Sims being black marketed (for Rs 300-500)
No activation even after 15 days
No response to complaints emails
No response from CC numbers
Now we know, this is exactly kind of customer experience every one expects from Reliance family :thumb:

Anyway fans will remain fans no matter what :)

DoT only cleared Aadhaar based KYC on the 17th of August - about 20 days back. So if Reliance Jio hasn't fully streamlined its Aadhaar based KYC, it's understandable. As for activation, the official launch was only on 5th September - and its not even 4 days since that. With the crazy volumes they are dealing with, maybe they deserve a bit of slack!

Things should settle down soon. This is not a T20 - this is a perpetual Test!

saakk

Even if things stabilize a bit after the initial glitches, I don't expect anything great on the customer services front in the long run...

BTW I am looking to a buy a JioFi this weekend ...anyone has any feedback about the device to share ?
4 Gb FUP has kicked in since its official launch, After it 128kbs speed for reaming day..

4 Gb FUP has kicked in since its official launch, After it 128kbs speed for reaming day..
4 GB per day that too free, give me any time :)

its no question that whole of India will line up to take up that offer . . .

cutting some slack ok
btw the 15 minute promise was made wrt starting from 5th of Sept only

In the same breath he says we have been preparing for it since 5 years,
have set up a target of 100 mil customers by end of year and then saying
we not prepared for the mad rush . . . :confused:

anyway the game theory needs one more question

What % of the free customers will translate in to paying customers

BTW, as users we all should be v happy with Jio's entry into this space, it shakes up the existing cartel

Most of us would be paying in the band of 2 - 5 K per family for net/telephone

So for the same price we get much better speeds and bandwidth/higher FUP limits :thumb:

Today BSNL has started a new offer 249 per month for fixed line broadband unlimited (1 Mbps post FUP)

Definitely Acche Din

TracerBullet

All of this hype yet still cant compete with mtnl ADSL ( landline ) in terms of data usage.

I guess revolution is only in context of mobile, which i dont use. For me 2g/3g/4g/blablabla is all irrelevant and mtnl is still king. 4gb/10 gb se mahina kaise nikale ga ? what will i do with extra speed if it gets spent quickly. Once over, dialup ke din yaad dila dega

I hope their 'apps' ( movie, TV etc ) dont count towards data usage. *1 game is 30-50 gb these days*

All of this hype yet still cant compete with mtnl ADSL ( landline ) in terms of data usage.

I guess revolution is only in context of mobile, which i dont use. For me 2g/3g/4g/blablabla is all irrelevant and mtnl is still king. 4gb/10 gb se mahina kaise nikale ga ? what will i do with extra speed if it gets spent quickly. Once over, dialup ke din yaad dila dega

I hope their 'apps' ( movie, TV etc ) dont count towards data usage. *1 game is 30-50 gb these days*
Hello TB

One can shift their current BSNL/MTNL plan to the new 499 plan . . . its 1Mbps after FUP limit

Book new connection in another family member's name and get same plan for 249 for first 6 months . . .

So now you have 2 pipes of 1 Mbps each . . . at 748 and after 6 months 998

But I guess in 6 months time all this will change :)