Is Shorting Ethical ?

"shorting is disallowed in USA except on 'upticks" that statement even though right does not have the gravity as it is posted.

Usually stock wont fall just one way so it easy to shortsell the stock . I was trading in US Stocks for last 2 years and was regularlly short selling stock , unless in enexceptional cases i have never found hard to fill my order

But the rule surley has its advantage, it will avoid disasters in stock market

shorting is disallowed in USA except on 'upticks" that statement even though right does not have the gravity as it is posted.

Usually stock wont fall just one way so it easy to shortsell the stock . I was trading in US Stocks for last 2 years and was regularlly short selling stock , unless in enexceptional cases i have never found hard to fill my order

But the rule surley has its advantage, it will avoid disasters in stock market

I make this post because I see many boarders showing a sympathetic attitude to a falling market and making a villain out of a correction or even a short term bear trend whereas the fact is that it is the markets way of flushing out the excesses of the previous move. No market can remain in a bull or bear trend forever.

Is shorting stocks ethical?

Some people claim that shorting stocks is un-ethical because they are contributing to the stock price going down. This is nonsense, and equally illogical is the fact that shorting is not allowed in our markets except intraday and fno. Remember that after you short a stock, you then have to buy it back! This creates buying pressure on the stock.

Short sellers slow the rapid decline of a stock by buying to cover on the way down. If the short sellers were not involved in the stock, it could plummet into a very rapid decline; ( Imagine only sellers and no buyers? Also, short sellers can be caught in a "short squeeze".

There is nothing wrong with shorting. It's just part of the mechanics of the stock market.

I think it is essential that a trader learn to short stocks. Buying stocks is only half of the equation! If the market in general is in a downtrend, you are not going to want to be buying stocks and attempt Hara Kiri. So in order to make any money you need to learn the art of shorting.
Sometimes you can make money faster by shorting than by buying. Why? Because stocks typically go down at a faster rate, then when they go up! Fear appears to be much more powerful emotion than greed.

The general public thinks that if a stock goes up, then this is "good". If a stock goes down, then this is "bad".

Wrong! It depends on which side of the market you are on.

I think Dalal Street really doesn't want the public to know about shorting stocks. In a bear market, market professionals on TV talk about how "horrible" the market is to encourage investors to sell.

They are shorting stocks and profiting all the way down...

By the Way I trade only one direction that is shorting

bunny

Going short makes money faster than going long. Price falls faster than it rises because no body wants to catch a falling knife :D.

There is nothing unethical about shorting....we are traders and for traders there are only good trades and bad trades...we dont cause the market to fall or rise....the fundamentals and the money supply are responsible for causing trends in the market...we just trade those trends by going short or long....and shorting is no sure way of making money...being in the trend with a correct stoploss is a proper way to trade.

Market operates on Greed and Fear.....and psychologically Fear is a very strong stimulus than Greed hence they say that " Bull climbs by the staircase...bear jumps out of the window"...market rise is slow and gradual but fall is always violent and cracking....that is the way markets operate....

Best wishes to all...Bulls and Bears both....

Smart_trade

bunny

There is nothing unethical about shorting....we are traders and for traders there are only good trades and bad trades...we dont cause the market to fall or rise....the fundamentals and the money supply are responsible for causing trends in the market...we just trade those trends by going short or long....and shorting is no sure way of making money...being in the trend with a correct stoploss is a proper way to trade.

Market operates on Greed and Fear.....and psychologically Fear is a very strong stimulus than Greed hence they say that " Bull climbs by the staircase...bear jumps out of the window"...market rise is slow and gradual but fall is always violent and cracking....that is the way markets operate....

Best wishes to all...Bulls and Bears both....

Smart_trade
What about pigs?

Bulls make money
Bears make money
Pigs get slaughtered

read somewhere :D

It is tough to talk about ethics in stock market. As far as shorting is concerned it is a double edged knife. I have seen many many of the retailers shorted from 4700 all the way to 5100 and got badly injured. Better to exploit the short positons to buy and long positions to sell.