Internet connection/options

DSM

I have been using Tata Broadband for net connection for the last few years. Except for a few and small hiccups, there has been no issues and overall the service has been good - EXCEPT till a few days past. Two days ago, I had internet outage for 8 hours. Calling up the technical guys, I was informed that this is a 'server issue', which is being fixed. Now since yesterday, my net is down for over 24 hours. The Technical guys have promised to 'check and look into the matter' However nothing has happened till now.

Meanwhile, I am accessing the net via a dongle now. Considering this issue, appreciate feedback from traders which can be of benefit to all. The question is :

A. Which city you are based in? (Optional question)

1. Which is the best internet service provider in your view.?
2. What is the plan? Cost per month?
3. What alternative backup do you have in case of failure?
4. Any other important point/feedback you have in mind?

Thanks...

ah.. everyone seems to be having ISP issues. My ISP (been using the same since 13 years nearly) has been having problems since last 3 days "Only in your area" !!

City : Surat
ISP : Youtele
Connection type : Broadband (modem based), 1 MBPS unlimited + static IP
Cost : About Rs. 1000 pm

DSM

Thanks TP for your feeback. Am updating questionnaire to rate the service based on reliability/speed/cost/tech. support(Incase of breakdown) Rate @ max 5star/per aspect.

Reliability 3/5
Speed 3/5
Cost 3/5
Tech Support. 3/5
Overall Satisfaction 12/20 =60%

manishchan

Am updating questionnaire to rate the service based on reliability/speed/cost/tech. support(Incase of breakdown) Rate @ max 5star/per aspect.

Hyderabad

Beam Telecom Broadband. I have also used Tata Photon+ in past and it's decent enough

15 Mbps speed. 60 GB Download limit. Rs 999/- per month.

Airtel 3G

As a trader, one must have broadband whichever is reliable in your area+ a dongle in case of emergency

Reliability 4/5
Speed 5/5
Cost 5/5
Tech Support. 4/5
Overall Satisfaction 16/20 =80%
response in blue :)

Last edited:

DSM

Thanks Manish, Surely your response is informative, and will help many other traders especially in from your city to make an informed decision and to consider if they need to change their plan. :clap::clap::clap:

Hyderabad

Beam Telecom Broadband. I have also used Tata Photon+ in past and it's decent enough

15 Mbps speed. 60 GB Download limit. Rs 999/- per month.

Airtel 3G

As a trader, one must have broadband whichever is reliable in your area+ a dongle in case of emergency

Reliability 4/5
Speed 5/5
Cost 5/5
Tech Support. 4/5
Overall Satisfaction 16/20 =80%

pakatil

Thanks TP for your feeback. Am updating questionnaire to rate the service based on reliability/speed/cost/tech. support(Incase of breakdown) Rate @ max 5star/per aspect.

Reliability 3/5
Speed 3/5
Cost 3/5
Tech Support. 3/5
Overall Satisfaction 12/20 =60%
hi DSM,

A. Bangalore
1. Using BSNL Broadband since 2006
2. 900 UL Getting 2 mbps. till 15 GB then 256 kbps.
3. Reliance Net Connect
4. I am quite happy with BSNL. Hiccups are bound to be there with all ISPs. Surely within manageable limits.

ACT Broad band likely to come to my area. Might move over to that. 20 mbps F2H service.

Cheers

kiran_thiru

I have been using Tata Broadband for net connection for the last few years. Except for a few and small hiccups, there has been no issues and overall the service has been good - EXCEPT till a few days past. Two days ago, I had internet outage for 8 hours. Calling up the technical guys, I was informed that this is a 'server issue', which is being fixed. Now since yesterday, my net is down for over 24 hours. The Technical guys have promised to 'check and look into the matter' However nothing has happened till now.

Meanwhile, I am accessing the net via a dongle now. Considering this issue, appreciate feedback from traders which can be of benefit to all. The question is :

Thanks...
from MANGALAGIRI(AP).

1. using local brodband (WIRETEL) from past 6 years.
2. 1mbps. limit 20gb per month. cost Rs.500/-.
3. i have my mobile 2G. (nearly 100/- per moth). it's enough to our RT charting & terminal i think.
4. we must have alternative in case any failure of broadband.

my broadband rarely (once in 3 months) got problem. if it happen, i used my mobile 2G till it solved.

Raghuveer

Net connection availability/performance is location specific. You might get better results if you specify which city you are interested in.

Anyway some links you might be interested in.

http://www.broadbandforum.co.in/

http://broadbandforum.co/

http://www.indiabroadband.net/

Thanks...

DSM

Way to speed up net connection - Edited excerpt :

http://www.auslogics.com/en/articles/speed-up-internet/

Tweak your router

If you are using a router, you can probably speed up Internet by adjusting the router settings. There are too many routers to give specific advice, but most routers can be tweaked to open up ports and boost your Internet speed. Just check the manual for things that can be done to improve performance or use Google to find answers for your particular router.
Before you do any tweaking, check whether you are close enough to the router when you use the Internet. Being too far away from it can make the connection really slow and unstable. Another thing you should try before changing any settings is to restart your router. Sometimes this simple action can dramatically speed up your Internet connection.

(Anybody tweaked their router and can share their experience?)

Control your bandwidth usage

There are many applications that will use your bandwidth in the background, like Windows Update, Windows Live Messenger, Skype, Real player, Adobe Reader updates, and other similar software. Most of them usually start automatically when you log on to Windows and connect to the Internet as soon as there is a connection. This means that these programs use your bandwidth when you are not actually using them.

Most of these applications can be configured not to start on Windows log-on or to at least ask permission to connect to the Internet. If you are not sure which programs are secretly using your bandwidth, you can use a free tool such as Auslogics Task Manager or CCleaner. With the help of this program you can track which applications and processes are consuming your network traffic. If your Internet connection speed dropped all of a sudden for no apparent reason, check your computer for malware and spyware. Malicious software often uses your Internet connection to send information to its developers.

TracerBullet

Way to speed up net connection - Edited excerpt :

http://www.auslogics.com/en/articles/speed-up-internet/

Tweak your router

If you are using a router, you can probably speed up Internet by adjusting the router settings. There are too many routers to give specific advice, but most routers can be tweaked to open up ports and boost your Internet speed. Just check the manual for things that can be done to improve performance or use Google to find answers for your particular router.
Before you do any tweaking, check whether you are close enough to the router when you use the Internet. Being too far away from it can make the connection really slow and unstable. Another thing you should try before changing any settings is to restart your router. Sometimes this simple action can dramatically speed up your Internet connection.

(Anybody tweaked their router and can share their experience?)
I doubt that opening ports will speed up your internet. It will only work if an application needs it. Example will be for torrents to allow seeding.

In general there is very little reason to open incoming ports. You will be more insecure if there is any application listening on it.

Control your bandwidth usage

There are many applications that will use your bandwidth in the background, like Windows Update, Windows Live Messenger, Skype, Real player, Adobe Reader updates, and other similar software. Most of them usually start automatically when you log on to Windows and connect to the Internet as soon as there is a connection. This means that these programs use your bandwidth when you are not actually using them.

Most of these applications can be configured not to start on Windows log-on or to at least ask permission to connect to the Internet. If you are not sure which programs are secretly using your bandwidth, you can use a free tool such as Auslogics Task Manager or CCleaner. With the help of this program you can track which applications and processes are consuming your network traffic. If your Internet connection speed dropped all of a sudden for no apparent reason, check your computer for malware and spyware. Malicious software often uses your Internet connection to send information to its developers.
You can monitor internet connection on taskbar through NetSpeedMonitor. Nice free tool.