Infrastructure Equity Funds

Re: ICICI Pru Infrastructure & Tata Infrastructure

You appear to be focusing too much on Infra funds, which carries high risk. Why not split up your investments into Large Cap / Mid Cap / Multi Cap funds apart from sector funds.

SIP is the best option they say, since it evens out some of the market fluctuations. So why not go with it...

Yes, In fact my focus is on infra Funds at this moment..I dont mind this risk too much for the next 2 to 3 Years as I am Pretty Young and I Guess I'll bear with it.
But thanks for the Suggestion regarding the Sip..As I said, I've already done 2 of my investments in the form of SIP..I should check out this option for these funds also.
You suggested to split my investments b/n large, small and Multi caps, Right?
Could you please list some of those in each category so that I'll have a look at them?

Sundaram BNP Paribas Select Thematic Funds Energy Opportunities ( Growth Option )

Hi All,

Iam planning to invest some amt in Mutual Fund name - Sundaram BNP Paribas Select Thematic Funds Energy Opportunities ( Growth Option ).Pls suggest me whether it is a good fund....

Re: Your opinion on Infrastructure Mutual Funds.

Here is and article from money control that may answer your question.

Prima facie theme-based funds are a great way to make big money. Actually, it is all human psychology – what we commonly term as ‘herd mentality’ or as some sophisticated people would say ‘momentum’.

But the problem is you don’t know when the fancy starts or when it ends. It could be months or it could be years. So you could either exit too early and miss the best part of the rally or exit too late when all the cream is gone.

Time and again, something or the other will catch the fancy of the market. And then everyone will rush headlong into it. Once upon a time it was Technology, Pharma or Auto. Today no one even talks about them. Now it’s infrastructure and real estate. Tomorrow, they too would be forgotten.

Moreover, theme-based funds defeat the three very basic ideas of investing in MFs – diversification, professional expertise and regular monitoring.

Firstly, we are concentrating our portfolio and thereby increasing the risk. MF was supposed to be a route to diversify our investment, not concentrate it.

Secondly, we are taking a call on the market as to which sectors will do well. We have entrusted our money to a professional fund manager. Don’t you think we should invest in a diversified fund vis--vis a sector fund and leave it to his expertise and experience to decide on the potential sectors (in fact, that’s precisely his job)? Are we smarter than the fund manager?

Thirdly, since we don’t know when the tide will turn, we need to constantly monitor a theme-based portfolio. Again, we had opted for MF, as we didn’t have much time to regularly monitor our investments.

Given all this, theme-based funds carry a higher risk than diversified funds.

However, if we can’t control our ‘gambling’ impulses, it would be prudent to invest only a small % of our corpus in such sector/theme-based funds.

So, be smart! Don’t be taken in by the media hype. Think twice – no, thrice – before your commit your money to theme-based NFOs
(complete link) http://www.moneycontrol.com/india/n...roublenfos-that-too-theme-based-/19/15/316257

Hi !

I have listed some of the funds that have good track record as I know -

Large Cap - HDFC Top 200 / Kotak 30 / Reliance Vision / Franklin India Blue Chip / Sundaram BNP Select Focus

Small & Mid Cap - Birla Mid Cap / Reliance Growth / Sundaram BNP Select Mid Cap

Multi Cap - DSP ML Equity / HDFC Growth / Kotak Opportunities / Franklin India Prima Plus

Happy investing..!

Re: Sundaram BNP Paribas Select Thematic Funds Energy Opportunities ( Growth Option )

Hi !

Almost every MF guru I came across suggested to avoid NFOs and stick to funds with good track record.

If you are particular about investing in an NFO, you can't do worse than this.... since going by the track record, Sundaram AMC has several funds that are doing well.... Capex Opportunities, Select Focus, Select Midcap etc.,.

Best of luck..

Re: Sundaram BNP Paribas Select Thematic Funds Energy Opportunities ( Growth Option )

I think next oppertunity is in energy sector..iam also looking for long term investment......

thanks...

Hi !

Why go for an NFO, that too when you have several established funds with the same mode of investing... Check out DSP ML Top 100 / HDFC Top 200.

Track record of LIC MF is also not so impressive. Have not come across any top rated equity funds from this AMC...