Individuals cannot trade in forex market: RBI

Hi Ankit, thanks for that but the following statement worries me in that rbi link:

The Reserve Bank has also clarified that the existing regulations under FEMA, 1999 do not permit residents to trade in foreign exchange in domestic / overseas markets.

I understand that RBI does not want money to flow out of the country but I interpret that statement as Indian residents are not allowed to trade forex irrespective of whether money is flowing out of India or not. Is that correct understanding?
NO.As Non resident Indians are allowed to participate in forex market,it should be understood that it is not about Indian citizens trading.It is all about erosion of INR to offshore(you sell an INR and buy $ for the purpose of speculative trading.)
Secondly,forex is a highly leveraged over-the-counter product with some brokers offering leverage upto 1:1000 ie you are controlling a position of 1000000 $ using your capital of just 1000$(unlike domestic stocks/forex futures where the maximum leverage is 1:5)So a small movement in price will result in huge losses/profits to the individual.Most of the time it is resulting in losses ,as a resident Indian has limited exposure to forex trading and forex is largely an unregulated online market having no physical premises nor nodal agencies to regulate unscruplous brokers,unlike stock market.
Had people been able to profit in forex,and brought in truck loads of cash ,the whole scenario would have been different.
As an NRI is a person,who brings inward foreign exchange from the country he has migrated for the purpose of work or business, RBI doesn't have an issues with him even if he routes a portion of it towards forex trade,coz he has already contributed to the 10 billion annual domestic foreign exchange pool through NRI remittances and other projects....

Yup..that will work...There will be no remittance involved from India..thus no conversion of INR to USD/EUR and thus no violation of FEMA/FERRA laws.

RBI in effect does not want you to convert your INR to trade Forex overseas.
I was wondering about the legality/semi-legality of the so called Indian forex companies like fxcentral and others where direct remittance is not involved.The trader is funding his a/c with INR through NEFT transaction or cash deposit at bank,and the broker is converting it to dollar/euro.Doesn't that fall under ECB(external commercial borrowing) which again is something the RBI frowns upon?

NO.As Non resident Indians are allowed to participate in forex market,it should be understood that it is not about Indian citizens trading.It is all about erosion of INR to offshore(you sell an INR and buy $ for the purpose of speculative trading.)
Secondly,forex is a highly leveraged over-the-counter product with some brokers offering leverage upto 1:1000 ie you are controlling a position of 1000000 $ using your capital of just 1000$(unlike domestic stocks/forex futures where the maximum leverage is 1:5)So a small movement in price will result in huge losses/profits to the individual.Most of the time it is resulting in losses ,as a resident Indian has limited exposure to forex trading and forex is largely an unregulated online market having no physical premises nor nodal agencies to regulate unscruplous brokers,unlike stock market.
Had people been able to profit in forex,and brought in truck loads of cash ,the whole scenario would have been different.
As an NRI is a person,who brings inward foreign exchange from the country he has migrated for the purpose of work or business, RBI doesn't have an issues with him even if he routes a portion of it towards forex trade,coz he has already contributed to the 10 billion annual domestic foreign exchange pool through NRI remittances and other projects....
Makes sense but seems to be too easy. I dont see why one cant just remit the money to an offshore account of a friend or relative with a valid purpose (like family maintenance, medical or whatever) then use the money for forex trading.

Makes sense but seems to be too easy. I dont see why one cant just remit the money to an offshore account of a friend or relative with a valid purpose (like family maintenance, medical or whatever) then use the money for forex trading.
Forex deposit/withdrawls to/from trading account,i believe , is direct from the trader -broker and viceversa.No third party transfer is allowed..
But do you think that people has stopped trading in the light of RBI ruling.Credit card/paypal funding option was there and is still there...

After having read the RBI notification three times so that I do not miss out any point.

I've to say my trades that I've done between 21st feb to 28th feb are illegal.
But my trades from March 1st onwards are legal, provided I spend less than 181 days in India between 1st March 2011 to 30th April 2012.

After having read the RBI notification three times so that I do not miss out any point.

I've to say my trades that I've done between 21st feb to 28th feb are illegal.
But my trades from March 1st onwards are legal, provided I spend less than 181 days in India between 1st March 2011 to 30th April 2012.

And by the way 181 start from 1st April to 31st March.So change your schedule accordign to that.;)

Forex deposit/withdrawls to/from trading account,i believe , is direct from the trader -broker and viceversa.No third party transfer is allowed..
But do you think that people has stopped trading in the light of RBI ruling.Credit card/paypal funding option was there and is still there...
you are right, they generally dont allow transfer from accounts not in the name of forex account holder. Anyway, lets see how it goes.

Dear all,
I have fixed an appointment with an Officer of technical department for Forex Market at RB, Mumbai regarding the latest RBI press note. He will clarify all our ambiguity, confusion and all that.
Please do mail me all that I need to clarify with him so that all of us get benefit out of my meeting. Please mail me on [email protected].
Dear moderators, as I'm giving my e mail id only to help all my co Fx traders, please do not consider this post as a breach of Forum rules.

Thanks & Regards,

Dear all,
I have fixed an appointment with an Officer of technical department for Forex Market at RB, Mumbai regarding the latest RBI press note. He will clarify all our ambiguity, confusion and all that.
Please do mail me all that I need to clarify with him so that all of us get benefit out of my meeting. Please mail me on [email protected].
Dear moderators, as I'm giving my e mail id only to help all my co Fx traders, please do not consider this post as a breach of Forum rules.

Thanks & Regards,

Hi Maidas

Did you get any info out of meeting with the RB officer
pls update