I will give you a surprise

Which one of this statements refers the most to my self ?

• Little, I am in a stage of learning and searching as I have not much knowledge about indicators.

Votes: 24 17.9%
  • Little, as I just started doing live trades with what I think will work.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • Have learned a lot in the past, but are still not sure if it is enough to do live trades.

Votes: 17 12.7%
  • Made a few trades, not really successful and I think, have to search for new ideas and indicators.

Votes: 26 19.4%
  • Make live and paper trades regularly, but not really happy with it.

Votes: 16 11.9%
  • Do live trades every day and use different styles, include S and R lines.

Votes: 27 20.1%
  • I am a 100% pro, very non dependent on any special system. I know, my way of trading works.

Votes: 21 15.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

DanPickUp

Hi

This post is a copy past post. As I recommended summa in the past, to know what kind of orders can be used for a certain trading style, this is a list some of you may are interested. It gives an idea when to use the different kind of orders. By the way, it is a list from Jim Wyckoff. The list is very useful, but I am not sure if your brokers in India offer all that possibilities. You may check it with your broker.

1. Market Order

The market order is the most frequently used futures trading order. It usually assures you of getting a position (a fill). The market order is executed at the best possible price obtainable at the time the order reaches the futures trading pit.

2. Limit Order

The limit order is an order to buy or sell at a designated price. Limit orders to buy are placed below the market; limit orders to sell are placed above the market. Since the market may never get high enough or low enough to trigger a limit order, a trader may miss getting filled if he or she uses a limit order. Even though you may see the market touch your limit price several times, this does not guarantee a fill at that price.

3. "Or Better" Orders

"Or better" is a commonly misunderstood order type. You should only use "or better" if the market is "or better" at the time of entry to distinguish the order from a stop. "Or better" on an order does not make the pit broker work harder to get a better fill. It is always the broker's job to provide you with the best possible fill. If an order is truly "or better," then this designation assures the broker that you have not left "stop" off the order. In many instances, unmarked "or better" orders are returned for clarification, potentially costing the trader valuable time and possibly a fill. Orders that are not "or better" when entered only serve to better use the pit broker's time upon receipt as he checks to see whether or not the order deserves a fill. Sometimes, using the "or better" designation before the opening is helpful in assuring the broker that your order is meant to be filled.

4. Market if Touched (MIT) Orders

MIT's are the opposite of stop orders. Buy MIT's are placed below the market and Sell MITs are placed above the market. An MIT order is usually used to enter the market or initiate a trade. An MIT order is similar to a limit order in that a specific price is placed on the order. However, an MIT order becomes a market order once the limit price is touched. A fill may be at, above, or below the originally specified MIT price. An MIT order will not be executed if the market fails to touch the MIT specified price.

5. Stop Orders

Stop orders can be used for three purposes: One, to minimize a loss on a long or short position. Two, to protect a profit on an existing long or short position. Three, to initiate a new long or short position. A buy stop order is placed above the market and a sell stop order is placed below the market. Once the stop price is touched, the order is treated like a market order and will be filled at the best possible price.

Importantly, while stops and MIT's are usually elected only when the specific price is touched, they can be elected when the opening of a market is such that the price is through the stop or MIT limit. In this case, you can routinely expect the fill to be much worse than the original stop or better on the MIT. This applies to stop orders and MIT orders placed before the opening of pit trading.

6. Stop-Limit Orders

A stop-limit order lists two prices and is an attempt to gain more control over the price at which your stop is filled. The first part of the order is written like the stop order. The second part of the order specifies a limit price. This indicates that once your stop is triggered, you do not wish to be filled beyond the limit price. Care should be taken when considering stop-limit orders--especially when trying to exit a position, because of the possibility of not being filled even though the stop portion of the order is elected. There is no stop-limit order without a second price. If your order cannot be filled by the floor broker immediately at the stop price, it becomes a straight limit order at the stop price.

7. Stop-Close Only Orders

The stop price on a stop-close only will only be triggered if the market touches or exceeds the stop during the period of time the exchange has designated as the close of trading (usually the last few seconds or minutes).

8. Market on Opening Order

This is an order that you wish to be executed during the opening range of trading at the best possible price obtainable within the opening range. Not all exchanges recognize this type of order. One exchange that does is the Chicago Board of Trade.

9. Market on Close (MOC) Order

This is an order that will be filled during the period designated by the exchange as the close at whatever price is available. A floor broker may reserve the right to refuse an MOC order up to 15 minutes before the close, depending upon market conditions.

10. Fill or Kill Order

The fill or kill order is used by customers wishing an immediate fill, but at a specified price. The floor broker will bid or offer the order three times and return to you with either a fill or an unable, but it will not continue to work throughout the trading session.

11. One Cancels the Other (OCO) Order

This is a combination of two orders written on one order ticket. This instructs the floor brokers that once one side of the order is filled, the remaining side of the order should be cancelled. By placing both instructions on one order, rather than two separate tickets, you eliminate the possibility of a double fill. This order is not acceptable on all exchanges.

12. Spread Orders

The customer wishes to take a simultaneous long and short position in an attempt to profit via the price differential or "spread" between two prices. A spread can be established between different months of the same commodity, between related commodities, or between the same or related commodities traded on two different exchanges. A spread order can be entered at the market or you can designate that you wish to be filled when the price difference between the commodities reaches a certain point (or premium).

13. Good Till Cancelled Orders

These orders are also known as open orders and will remain valid until cancelled.

Tc care and .......:lol:as Raghavac has recogniced.

DanPickUp

DanPickUp

Hi

Analyzing option volatility can be a very useful tool. Here an other chart, always from gold, which gives a vague idea about S&R on on a daily time frame in the option volatility. Vague, as in my opinion always different time frames have to be analyzed. But that is each ones choice.

Did any one from you check such stuff on nifty ? If so, please post some useful comments here what you have seen.

As you see on this example, some times market goes down with the same tool and some times market goes up with it. But this I posted already in the past in this thread and this time it went up as we clearly can see.

The question now would be : What other tools can we include to fine tune it and have a better idea, in which direction market will jump?

Tc

DanPickUp

DanPickUp

Hi

There are different ways to fine tune what we know now and what we have at the moment. We can do it with the tools we already use ( Chart and Volatility of options ) or we add some thing which is simple and has nothing to do with what we already use.

Many newbies and some times even more experienced traders make the mistake to use indicators or what ever which indicate the same thing and only are called differently. I can give more ideas, but you have to know one thing and it was posted already in this thread:

YOU HAVE TO BELIEVE IN YOUR TOOLS AND YOU HAVE TO SEE THE VALUE OF YOUR TOOLS. IT IS YOU, WHICH MAKES THEM WORKING WITH ALL YOUR EFFORTS AND WILLINGNESS. I CALL INDICATORS " CRUTCHES " AND I USE THEM TOO. WHY ? THEY ARE HERE TO USE.

Use indicators cleverly and combine them in any way you can, just be sure, that they do not indicate the same stuff. And stop running to each thread which promises maybe new stuff. Concentrated on what you know and start to use it.

Now lets move on to the next tool we can add to what we have now and which is very non independent from what we already use. It is also a tool, we can afford, as it is mostly found in any software or plat form for free. Now I make copy past from the firetip platform:

One of the most popular volume indicators is the Accumulation line. The premise behind the Accumulation line is that volume precedes price. Volume reflects the amount of contracts that are traded in a particular market and therefore is a direct reflection of the money flowing into and out of the security.

Volume or money flow indicators are designed to identify early increases in positive or negative volume flow to gain an edge before the price moves. By using the Accumulation line as a volume indicator, this will help to determine if the volume in a security is increasing on the advances or declines. Also, the Accumulation line can be used to gauge the general flow of money.

An uptrend indicates that buying pressure is prevailing, and a downtrend would therefore indicate that selling pressure is prevailing.

The accumulation indicator is best used on a longer term time frame (minimum 30 minute chart). This is because we have little desire to change our opinion of the market due to short-term accumulations or distributions in the market. If we know that a large institutional customer has purchased a substantial number of contracts over a five or ten minute time frame, we have no idea if there are more purchases looming or if those contracts will hit the market (sells) in the next hour or day. For this reason, this indicator has little to no value for me on a short-term (3-15 minute) chart.

This is an effective tool to watch on a 30 or 60 minute chart or longer time frames

Take care for today

DanPickUp

DanPickUp

Hi

What happens if the written option ends in the ITM, does it attract additional charges like the buy options.

Thanks
Hi WK

Thanks for your question.

If I sell an option, the first and only thing I want is that the option lose money. I am in no way interested that the option ever goes itm, expect I am hedged and I have not to care about it. If the sold naked otm or atm option goes in the money, then the market has moved against my position and I am wrong with my trade.

Simple spoken: If you sold an option otm or atm and the option finally goes itm, you usually make a loss, and this loss you have to finance as you are obliged to buy back this sold option.

The question now would be : Who is going to charge you additional cost's on your lost money?

I may have miss understood your question and then you may would be so kind to explain with exact numbers what you want to ask.

Tc

DanPickUp

summasumma

Hi Dan,

I recently came to know about 'weekly expiring options' in nasdaq.

Can you throw some pointers on how can we take advantage of options expiring every week(just monday to friday)? Firstofall, is there any advantage atall for weekly options? :)
if so, some strategy suggestions will be helpful.

Meanwhile, i am trying the creditspreads and so far so good in demo trade till yesterday when the UL came to strikeprice of my credit position. It costs me more to rollout of that position. Volatility is high, so i dont think selling iron condor and trying to get credit is good idea as im getting hit both sides sometimes.

Take care...
Waiting for suggestions for weekly expiring options.

Thanks,
summasumma

DanPickUp

Hi Summa

Thanks for your question about: "Weekly expiring options".

First of all: Until now I did not use them, what not means, that they not can be very powerful in our trading. Let us first share some general information about what are "Weekly expiring options" and then I will talk about what I think or what is my experience on short time option trading in my markets.

Weekly expiring options:

- It is an approved pilot program. Each exchange in the States can list weekly option series on a limited number of classes during the pilot program. If you are deeply interested in it and you have a broker in the states, you visit the exchange website where that contrat trades you are interested in.

- Weekly Option Series will be listed each Thursday or Friday (depending on the listing exchange's rules) and expire the following Friday except for those instances when the following Friday is a standard Expiration Friday (the 3rd Friday of the month). If the following Friday is an OCC holiday, the weekly option series will expire on the Thursday preceding the holiday. No new Weeklys are listed that would expire during the expiration week for standard options (the third Friday of each month). In other words, the exchanges do not list new Weeklys on the 2nd Thursday of a month and do not trade Weeklys during the following, standard expiration week until new series are listed on Thursday of that week.

- Distinguish the Weekly from the Standard options?

You can find this information, which is specific to each index Weekly product, by going to the web site of the exchange that trades that product and viewing the Contract Specifications. They are cash settled, but their contract specifications vary and you will want to make sure you are fully familiar with their terms. Some may have a last trading day of Thursday and be a.m. settled, others may have a last trading day of Friday and settle p.m. Exercise styles may also vary.

Here a link about the option expiration dates in the states. Knowing that dates will give you a better knowledge to understand what is written in the above lines: http://www.marketwatch.com/optionscenter/calendar

Here a link from one exchange which shows the list from the underling's they provide with "Weekly expiring options":http://www.cboe.com/micro/weeklys/availableweeklys.aspx

Now, what is my opinion and expirience on that subject?

Trading very short time option strategies can be extremely lucrative. There are many different ways to trade such strategies. One of the best ways to include options with a short live time are synthetic strategies.

Be thoughtful about what I say now, as you have to know exactly what to do under what market circumstances. Volatility is one of the main subjects to understand, when you trade any short time strategies and if not understood, highly dangerous.

An other main subject to know is when to play any leg, as synthetic strategies always include more than one leg. If not understood it is again highly dangerous to try to trade such strategies.

You also can play such short time strategies only with pure options. Here again: Be sure about vola and be sure, when you want to take profit and if you trade more complicated option strategies, be sure when to leg in and out.

If you now feel and intellectually are sure that your knowledge is on that level posted above, then my answer to your question would be : Yes, use and trade with such options, even I trade short time strategies still the old way.

If you are not aware and comfortable about what is posted above, avoid such options and stay with what you use and ask what ever you need to improve your trading you do now.

Tc

DanPickUp

EagleOne

Hi Danny boy
It is good to see that you are coming out with very informative posts on Options. I hope our Indian markets will soon have fully-developed options' setup the way other countries have, but still they are OK to trade.

Keep coming up with the good stuff, buddy. Take care.

trade4joisar

Status
Not open for further replies.