How much profit does a Full-time trader deserves in a Month?

How much return (% wise) is good for a Full-time trader.

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

sibu3168

Hi ganeshams,

Here is my advise.

First - Since you are working in a MNC, so you may be drawing some good salary (I assume). Now you want to take Trading as your profession, so initially you may not get good profit and it may take minimum 6 month to One year considering only the positive aspect only. So the first assumption is definitely favouring your current scenario.

Second - One of the reason to leave your job is work pressure. Please tell me a business / job where you do not find any work pressure. In fact in every field, work pressure is high and it rises with the the hike in salary/income.

Third - You said you have strong fascination towards market. But when you join the IT field, I think it was not your compulsion but your fascination towards IT field. Generally, in our middle class society, apart from Govt. jobs, We are more inclined towards IT job as it gives high salary, more prestige, chance to travel more countries and of course more social contacts. So the fascination automatically develops towards this field. But in case of trading, it is completely a lonely job. Gradually you will cut off from the society so you have to do some extra effort to maintain these relationship.

Fourth - Trading is the most hardest profession I have seen in my career. In fact I think, there is one winner in 1,00,000 trader. Even if you make consistent profit for two years, there is no guarantee that you will make profit in the third year.

Fifth - In trading, each and every new position is a potentially mine field. So every position has the capability to potentially wipe out all your trading capital unless you take some rigid money management position. Again there is a saying in the market i.e. " Don't be emotional". But in fact, it is more subjective than objective. Since we are all human being that itself implies that we are emotional. How much caution you take, you are bound to make some emotional blunder at some point of time. But the trick is how quickly you rectify that blunder is entirely depend on you.

Sixth - Since you are talking about some part time job for some additional income (I don't know how much). It is ok but when you incur any loss in trading then it will start affecting your part time job also.

Seven - Once you start trading as a full time job, then definitely it will be very very difficult for you to switch from trading to your profession. In early part of the trading,in case of any adverse situation,you may switch immediately but as day passes it will be much harder.

Eight - My advise is continue with your current job and go for investment in equity market. Always wait for a blood bath to happen in the market. Then enter in the market in two consecutive days one in the blood bath day and another one is the next day. Each day your commitment should be 50% of a position and all are delivery based and in CNX 100 scrips including Nifty Fifty. Such type of situation generally occur in every 2-3 year gap. Within 12-15 year time frame you will earn so much profit even you can not think in your wildest dream. At the time of entry, your scrip should belong to (CNX100 + CNX Nifty) and it must come down by 85% to 90% from its 52 week high. Your time frame should be from six month to one and half year.

Nine - Still if you can not resist your temptation towards trading, then experiment it for six to nine month time frame with complete dedication as you have already had some past experience in trading. Do not compromise on equipment side like laptop, two broadband connection, one extra monitor and good data vendor (updation should be fast and data should be reliable). Don't take money from others and it should be your money. In case of any failure, keep six months monthly expenditure as back up money. If succeed (monthly profit should be at par with your current salary) consistently then you may think about continuing, otherwise immediately switch over to your parent profession. In case of loss and other expenditure, don't even think about to recoup your loss. Simply forget it as a bad phase.

Ten - Whatever I am telling here is based on a assumption that you are a casual trader with a full time job in another different field. Since you have made some profit in the market, that generates more interest towards market.

Wish you a best of luck.

Hello Sibu3168,
Undergone lot of excitement after reading your final journey post. It is great on the part that, everytime you fell, raising again like phoenex. Made money and lost money. Accumulating capital( both cash and confidence) and losing again. It is really big wonder for me, why you did not give up trading, because lot many times you tried and lost. Could have realised that , trading is not for me. Of course there is no wrong in accepting in our limitation. Dont take in wrong context. I am not letting you down. I greatly appreciate your fighting instinct. Under all situations shown stuborn rebellion. Traded with own money and others money and lost. Some people are good at managing others money than their own , just because of some reasons. But you are not good in neither. One more , it is not correct to say , in trading one winnwer for 1lakh traders. The statistics say, in F&O traders nearly 85% losers , in equity positional traders this failure rate is 50 to 60% only.
Note : I am great fan of Sachin Tendulkar but i wish him not to play any cricket . He should retire. It does not mean that iam down playing Sachin.
Same with you, you are great fighter. Big big salutes sir.

stock72

Your below 10 Commandments is great to learn and remember than your original story. Guess some links are missing in your original story and it is not fair to expect from everyone to narrate exactly what happened so that every other will understand, as we are not professional writers.

Especially your 8 th one is most efficient and simple to follow yet hard for everyone to use it and get benefitted.

Thx for sharing your experience.Praying God for quick recovery of your father.

Hi ganeshams,

Here is my advise.

First - Since you are working in a MNC, so you may be drawing some good salary (I assume). Now you want to take Trading as your profession, so initially you may not get good profit and it may take minimum 6 month to One year considering only the positive aspect only. So the first assumption is definitely favouring your current scenario.

Second - One of the reason to leave your job is work pressure. Please tell me a business / job where you do not find any work pressure. In fact in every field, work pressure is high and it rises with the the hike in salary/income.

Third - You said you have strong fascination towards market. But when you join the IT field, I think it was not your compulsion but your fascination towards IT field. Generally, in our middle class society, apart from Govt. jobs, We are more inclined towards IT job as it gives high salary, more prestige, chance to travel more countries and of course more social contacts. So the fascination automatically develops towards this field. But in case of trading, it is completely a lonely job. Gradually you will cut off from the society so you have to do some extra effort to maintain these relationship.

Fourth - Trading is the most hardest profession I have seen in my career. In fact I think, there is one winner in 1,00,000 trader. Even if you make consistent profit for two years, there is no guarantee that you will make profit in the third year.

Fifth - In trading, each and every new position is a potentially mine field. So every position has the capability to potentially wipe out all your trading capital unless you take some rigid money management position. Again there is a saying in the market i.e. " Don't be emotional". But in fact, it is more subjective than objective. Since we are all human being that itself implies that we are emotional. How much caution you take, you are bound to make some emotional blunder at some point of time. But the trick is how quickly you rectify that blunder is entirely depend on you.

Sixth - Since you are talking about some part time job for some additional income (I don't know how much). It is ok but when you incur any loss in trading then it will start affecting your part time job also.

Seven - Once you start trading as a full time job, then definitely it will be very very difficult for you to switch from trading to your profession. In early part of the trading,in case of any adverse situation,you may switch immediately but as day passes it will be much harder.

Eight - My advise is continue with your current job and go for investment in equity market. Always wait for a blood bath to happen in the market. Then enter in the market in two consecutive days one in the blood bath day and another one is the next day. Each day your commitment should be 50% of a position and all are delivery based and in CNX 100 scrips including Nifty Fifty. Such type of situation generally occur in every 2-3 year gap. Within 12-15 year time frame you will earn so much profit even you can not think in your wildest dream. At the time of entry, your scrip should belong to (CNX100 + CNX Nifty) and it must come down by 85% to 90% from its 52 week high. Your time frame should be from six month to one and half year.

Nine - Still if you can not resist your temptation towards trading, then experiment it for six to nine month time frame with complete dedication as you have already had some past experience in trading. Do not compromise on equipment side like laptop, two broadband connection, one extra monitor and good data vendor (updation should be fast and data should be reliable). Don't take money from others and it should be your money. In case of any failure, keep six months monthly expenditure as back up money. If succeed (monthly profit should be at par with your current salary) consistently then you may think about continuing, otherwise immediately switch over to your parent profession. In case of loss and other expenditure, don't even think about to recoup your loss. Simply forget it as a bad phase.

Ten - Whatever I am telling here is based on a assumption that you are a casual trader with a full time job in another different field. Since you have made some profit in the market, that generates more interest towards market.

Wish you a best of luck.

Last edited:
Hi Sibu.
Thank you very much for sharing ur experience in stock market. U father will recover completely very soon and hope will live a long life.
U have been in this industry from long time. So plz could u answer to some of my q.
1) Is there any course available which can help a person to become analyst in trading firm?
2) Or any other way so that i could enter in the stock market industry?

I am a Developer in a IT firm with exp of 2.8 yrs. But want to pursue my career in Stock market. Its not about fascination for market but interest for it. i started doing trading in dec 2010 and have made profit nd loss. due to some reason i have to join the present IT job after completing BE. But now i want to change my field as i finish my bond of 2 yrs in April. but m not getting how to enter in this field. The only safe option i see is MBA in finance. Could you plz suggest which will land me in desired field in 2013?

Hi Everybody,

Can anybody tell me how to start a new thread? In fact I do not know much about it.

Thanks
From the main page of TJ, go to the section in which you want this thread to be opened. There on leftside you will see "New thread". Click on that....and give thread heading etc.....and the thread is up and running.

Looking forward to your thread.

Smart_trade

XUV-500

Hi Everybody,

Can anybody tell me how to start a new thread? In fact I do not know much about it.

Thanks
please mention here link for your new thread so that it should not went un-noticed.I had bookmarked this thread and used to eagerly check for new posts elaborating your journey.

Wish speedy recovery for your father.
All the best....