Dropping Internet connection, -source of problem, BSNL, servers, Modem, or Inverter?

Re: Dropping Internet connection, -source of problem, BSNL, servers, Modem, or Inver

Hi all

I want to purchase a WiFi modem for trading purpose..

i have select a model ...want ur opinion about that.
is it a good choice or I should consider another option ?

model name is DSL-2750u Wireless N ADSL2+ 4-Port WI-Fi Router

one another query .

If I want to run this Modem on UPS during power cut for 6 hrs maximum (9.30 am to 3.30 worst case scenario ) then is 700VA UPS is enough or I should try more powerful one .

[I have Net book which gives me 6 hrs . back up so UPS is only for my WiFi Modem ]

Thank u all:)

Re: Dropping Internet connection, -source of problem, BSNL, servers, Modem, or Inver

Hey thanks for all that writing and time of course.
With a higher input voltage to the modem (13V AC instead of 12V AC, or more when the input is on mains), there will be additional dissipiation on the power supply inside the modem, when the powersupply inside the modem is of linear type. SMPS works differently and is ok with that.
Do you mean there is a SMPS inside modem too? :confused:
I got no idea at all about that !

I suppose you live in India.
Indeed.
And in my part of India, i am blessed with such problem bcoz of "You-are-special" Power-cuts >4 hrs a day and cut-offs of 5-10ms for >10 times more
... even though half of my state is un-metered and feeder for my place is fully metered. Icing on the Cake! :mad:
Thats why all this hassle of ADSL drops!

I think if i get a APC online UPS (the decision postponed by me few weeks back), all this issue will be solved as there are no relays or switching inside ONLINE UPS & modem's default adapter will get normal electricity like wave even on Inverter supplying the ONline UPS.

If I could get a confirmation from D-Link, a standard 15V AC with 1.5A or more transformer can be used, which would be readily available and solve problems easily.
I may be sounding like "u owe me man"...but can you just confirm this thing from DLINK. Here is the Toll Free 1800228998 (Model is 2640-T - ADSL2+ & Wifi g)
Else
I think whatever i have understood till now, i need to buy or get one made.... a 13.5 to 14.5V AC adapter of 1.2Amp or 1.5Amp rating for ADSL to not drop during Inverter supply.

P.S> I just came to know that my SUKAM modem (model CHIC) is a Modified Sine Wave. The other forum guy is pretty suspicious of the fact that it may be the cause for ADSL drop.
If indeed it is.. will the solution above be helpful on that front? Probably not
I think in that case an ONLINE UPS or Pure sine wave Inverter Replacement would be the solutions..right?

Thanks once again TheTrader :)

Hey thanks for all that writing and time of course.
With a higher input voltage to the modem (13V AC instead of 12V AC, or more when the input is on mains), there will be additional dissipiation on the power supply inside the modem, when the powersupply inside the modem is of linear type. SMPS works differently and is ok with that.
Do you mean there is a SMPS inside modem too? :confused:
I got no idea at all about that !

I suppose you live in India.
Indeed.
And in my part of India, i am blessed with such problem bcoz of "You-are-special" Power-cuts >4 hrs a day and cut-offs of 5-10ms for >10 times more
... even though half of my state is un-metered and feeder for my place is fully metered. Icing on the Cake! :mad:
Thats why all this hassle of ADSL drops!

I think if i get a APC online UPS (the decision postponed by me few weeks back), all this issue will be solved as there are no relays or switching inside ONLINE UPS & modem's default adapter will get normal electricity like wave even on Inverter supplying the ONline UPS.

If I could get a confirmation from D-Link, a standard 15V AC with 1.5A or more transformer can be used, which would be readily available and solve problems easily.
I may be sounding like "u owe me man"...but can you just confirm this thing from DLINK. Here is the TollFree 1800228998 (Model is 2640-T - ADSL2+ & Wifi g)
Else
I think whatever i have understood till now, i need to buy or get one made.... a 13.5 to 14.5V AC adapter of 1.2Amp or 1.5Amp rating for ADSL to not drop during Inverter supply.

P.S> I just came to know that my SUKAM Inverter (model CHIC) is a Modified Sine Wave. The other forum guy is pretty suspicious of the fact that it may be the cause for ADSL drop.
If indeed it is.. will the solution above be helpful on that front? Probably not
I think in that case an ONLINE UPS or Pure sine wave Inverter Replacement would be the solutions..right?

Thanks once again TheTrader :)

I do not know whether this has been posted earlier; but the stability of your DSL connection is determined by the SNR margins and the attenuation values. The thread starter should verify whether they are within the admissible limits.

I do not know whether this has been posted earlier; but the stability of your DSL connection is determined by the SNR margins and the attenuation values. The thread starter should verify whether they are within the admissible limits.
Sure, You're right about the stability. But here, it works fine on mains power and the problems are only when on UPS. Modem power input is 12V when on UPS and 13V when on Mains. I suppose the op would have kept the modem away from the inverter / UPS etc., to avoid EMI issues.

The modems, primarily the ones manufactured in China and given away by the ISPs operating within India are very sensitive to voltage fluctuations. Perhaps this is why the issue arises only when the device is taking power from the inverter.

lvgandhi

Reply in between lines
Which online UPS you got? bcoz ONLINe ups should solve the issue (if you are supplying power from it to your modem) as far as i have been able to search on the subject.

The culprit is the INVERTER supply and that remains so when we use a normal offline UPS (the usual 1500-3000 Rs variety). Good online UPs with an half hour backup for a moderator jig(PC) would not cost less than 25-28000 Rs (i confirmed this for Well known APC brand models)

Mine is local brand Premier. Costs around Rs.4000 only for UPS.
Also can you tell me which adapter you got currently?
220 to 12VC ac what amperage?
I got a DLINk 2640T and it needs 1.2Amps
Some chinese one at 1.2 Amps

I also have a backup plan of mobile internet of AIRCEL (3GB for 99Rs or 250MBfor Rs46; Both 2G) but they are no way reliable or speedy like broadband! 3G plans are of course still priced like diamonds! (Thanks to our POLITICIAN THIEVES)

Airtel 3G in my locality gives 2 mbps for wifi and 4 mbps for usb tethering
Further when we have irregular and big power cuts (Thanks to our Power department GHOOS-KHORS & the COMMON-MAN THIEVES(who trick energy meters and use illegal connections))....
it is not easy to keep connecting backup connections and reconnecting back to broadband.
It still is the same mess!

D-Link says only what is supplied should be used.

Of course, Nothing like an Online Sinewave UPS, which provides uninterrupted power without the relays. UPS from cos like, APC, Emerson, GE etc., have good crest factors, and the ratings are as mentioned.

I was trying to save some expense for the OP, as the problem here is insufficient input voltage for the modem. The quasi sinewaves are flattened, and reach the voltages with lower peaks than a sinewave.

The modems, primarily the ones manufactured in China and given away by the ISPs operating within India are very sensitive to voltage fluctuations. Perhaps this is why the issue arises only when the device is taking power from the inverter.
Not sure where DLink modems are made but surely there are of good or above average quality (relative to major brands)

D-Link says only what is supplied should be used.
Of course, Nothing like an Online Sinewave UPS, which provides uninterrupted power without the relays. UPS from cos like, APC, Emerson, GE etc., have good crest factors, and the ratings are as mentioned.
As expected ..the "DLINK Crap support" similar to most of the brands in india.

BTW i went to market and tried finding .. very difficult to find even 220 to 12C Ac of exact 1.2Amps (as required by modem by default)
They had 15bv and 18 V and likewise. I got13.5 V at one place but it was of 1amp only :(

Anyway, till know i have been able to reach/filter the issue to INVERTER's type of AC (MSW) in this case (IMO)
Voltage can also be a issue BUT as you said, if i fetch an AC to 13.5 AC 1.2Amp+ Adapter (which is not easy to find except getting a custom-made;) The problem would be ,,,how would my Modem handle the extra volts when normal mains supply comes back? Wont high voltage fry it?

I mean when inverter's Voltage is converted to less than 12V by default adapter, the modem doesn't work properly. Inverter must be supplying less than 220V to Adapters primary circuit..thats why secondary of 12V is falling below 12 V right?
So accordingly when mains will throw few more than 220V, the secondary on adapter would prolly send > 14V ..causing issues right?

So in that case using a 13.5V Adapter (which itself is a chase to get one) is not logical or a solution..right?

and probably the issue will be sorted if i change over to Pure sine wave inverter or
YES...an Online UPS itself (the latter solution will be costly but perhaps end all the issues (including good backup)

Thanks THETRADER for your time (many few people take this much time to help others. I have personally done that... but i know there are very few.)
Regards

lvgandhi

One more thing you should try is blow of dust inside modem by any air blower. I have done to my modem. its performance has improved.