Dropping Internet connection, -source of problem, BSNL, servers, Modem, or Inverter?

lvgandhi

I am facing frequent drop of internet connections on thursday and friday during power cut timing.
I have 850VA UPS with 150 battery.
My fan light pc is working fine.
But internet connection was getting dropped frequently during operation of inverter.
I though of three possible sources of problem.
One is BSNL servers are operated either by UPS or generator whivh is not working continuously
Second, my modem is huawei MT841 bought in 2006. Whether it is unable to operate properly with ups.
Third inverter voltage fluctuations leading to improper operation of modem.

Any one can throw some light?
What are possible alternatives for this ADSL modem cum router?

sumosanammain

Re: Dropping Internet connection, -source of problem, BSNL, servers, Modem, or Inver

I am facing frequent drop of internet connections on thursday and friday during power cut timing.
But internet connection was getting dropped frequently during operation of inverter.
One is BSNL servers are operated either by UPS or generator whivh is not working continuously
Second, my modem is huawei MT841 bought in 2006. Whether it is unable to operate properly with ups.

Is your inverter having a low changeover time? Do you use a UPS?
I am facing the same problem, and think that maybe the problem is with the power adaptor of the MT 841. Planning to change it whenever I visit the electronics market, as its not available in the nearby stores. Maybe thats the problem with your connection too.

yusi

Re: Dropping Internet connection, -source of problem, BSNL, servers, Modem, or Inver

My MT841 is not connected with a UPS, live in a different part of the country, etc., I am unqualified to answer. In any case, the best is to measure. During normal hours, log in to the modem and note the signal strength, noise ratio -- MT841 overloads you with measures. Check the same during UPS operations. You should have some idea as to the cause. One is assuming that you are sure that the problem is at the ADSL end and not the LAN/Wireless end.

The other modem/router I use with BSNL is Linksys WAG120N. Cost about 2800. Very happy with it, not the least being the size compared to the MT841.

lvgandhi

Is your inverter having a low changeover time? Do you use a UPS?
I am facing the same problem, and think that maybe the problem is with the power adaptor of the MT 841. Planning to change it whenever I visit the electronics market, as its not available in the nearby stores. Maybe thats the problem with your connection too.
Thanks for response.
Actually I am using 850VA pure sinewave UPS from Premier company. I am not sure whether problem is with power adapter or modem or from BSNL end itself.
BSNL customer service technical person also telling that because of power adapter, voltage fluctuations of inverter is passed on to modem whose electronics is unable to with stand that DC voltage fluctuations. But every thing was fine until Wednesday. Let me also search for adapter.

lvgandhi

My MT841 is not connected with a UPS, live in a different part of the country, etc., I am unqualified to answer. In any case, the best is to measure. During normal hours, log in to the modem and note the signal strength, noise ratio -- MT841 overloads you with measures. Check the same during UPS operations. You should have some idea as to the cause. One is assuming that you are sure that the problem is at the ADSL end and not the LAN/Wireless end.

The other modem/router I use with BSNL is Linksys WAG120N. Cost about 2800. Very happy with it, not the least being the size compared to the MT841.
Thanks for the response.
How to measure the signal strength, noise ratio ?
Will adapter be the cause?

columbus

Thanks for the response.
Sometimes Adapter causes problem.It costs hardly 200 Rs.
Internet disruption is too frequent , give a try.

Last edited:

yusi

Thanks for the response.
If you log in to MT841 (use http://192.168.1.1 in your browser typically), give username/password (default is admin/admin if you have not changed it), one of the pages gives the signal, attenuation, SNR, etc. values. The Signal-to-noise ratio is typically better than -20 dbm (more negative) if I remember right. Can give exact page/values I see tomorrow if you cannot get there.

Based on your description, the disconnection occurs during the power-cut not when it happens. So the switchover may not be the issue. Most modern adaptors can accommodate 120 to 250V; but they are a frequent source of problem. At the least, clean the contact at both ends of the adaptor and check if it getting too hot.

BSNL using faulty power equipment is very unlikely.

sumosanammain

My Motorola Surfboard modem responds to 192.168.100.1
Its not a modem configuration. Its what IP you lan card has been given at the time of installation. Single machine setups ususally have 192.168.1.1

You could name it anything, like 192.168.300.56. Modem has nothing to do with the address :) It just needs to be pointed to it.

Sumo, his MODEM is MT841 (he said it in the first post). Yusi advised him to log in to the MODEM using this IP.

Boss, he normally won't need to log in to his local IP (the one defined on his Lan Card) once the settings are done. Those are the software based addresses, unless his ISP uses the hardwired Mac address binding.

A lot of tertiary LAN IPs begin with 198.168.xxx.xxx, but some are reserved; the same with 172.xxx.xxx.xxx based tertiary LAN IPs.

Lvgandhi, I think that you should bribe some engineer to figure it out. At your end, you can record the ping readings over a period of hours.

Suppose the IP of your Modem is 192.168.100.1, then run this command :

ping 192.168.100.1 -t > abc.txt

You will get an output like the one shown in the picture below and it will be stored in a file called abc.txt. This will tell you whether the communication is continuously ok between your computer and the modem. As Columbus said above, it could be a simple adapter problem (rare though).

Next, you have to isolate the point where the traffic is slowing (during the slowdown periods). Is the speed ok between your end and your ISP ?? Is the choke up after your ISP stage ?? You can see this by running tracert during normal and slowdown times and comparing them.

PS : My setup is Motorola Modem + Linksys router (don't remember the exact models). The modem setup has been the same since 2002 (same ISP) and earlier I was using a software proxy. In 2006 I switched over to the router (hardware proxy). Haven't faced any problems due to these equipments so far. The slowdown problems are because of problems at later ends and usually it is my ISP who solves them without any changes in my setup. During the slowdowns, the first thing I check is "ping" to the modem to find out whether my LAN is ok; the second thing is to check whether my ISP's home page opens alright or not.

Finally, the modem doesn't consume much electricity, so please plug it in the UPS because of the spikes and surges that inverter is likely to produce.

If you log in to MT841 (use http://192.168.1.1 in your browser typically), give username/password (default is admin/admin if you have not changed it), one of the pages gives the signal, attenuation, SNR, etc. values. The Signal-to-noise ratio is typically better than -20 dbm (more negative) if I remember right. Can give exact page/values I see tomorrow if you cannot get there.

Based on your description, the disconnection occurs during the power-cut not when it happens. So the switchover may not be the issue. Most modern adaptors can accommodate 120 to 250V; but they are a frequent source of problem. At the least, clean the contact at both ends of the adaptor and check if it getting too hot.

BSNL using faulty power equipment is very unlikely.
My Motorola Surfboard modem responds to 192.168.100.1
Its not a modem configuration. Its what IP you lan card has been given at the time of installation. Single machine setups ususally have 192.168.1.1

You could name it anything, like 192.168.300.56. Modem has nothing to do with the address :) It just needs to be pointed to it.