Dropping Internet connection, -source of problem, BSNL, servers, Modem, or Inverter?

Re: Dropping Internet connection, -source of problem, BSNL, servers, Modem, or Inver

try to Increase Your Internet Speed By Other Tricks

1: go to ur desktop
2: right click on "My computer"
3: den select "properties"
4: den click on "HARDWARE" tab
5: den click "Device manager"
6: now u see a new window(Device manager window)
7: look down now u can see "Ports(COM & LPT)" ...click on it
8:den double click on "Communication Ports"
9: after open u can see a "Communication Port properties"..
10: now go the "Port Setting"
11: and now change ur "Bits per second" to "128000".
12: and "Flow control" change 2 "Hardware".

apply and see the result.........!

now you can check your internet speed using speed testers like Scanmyspeed.com

Re: Dropping Internet connection, -source of problem, BSNL, servers, Modem, or Inver

Anyone found any solution?

Kindly help !

----------------------------------------------------------------

My case:
Have a DLINK 2640T Wifi Router cum ADSL Modem for my broadband (BSNL)

This which works fine with normal electricity (ADSL remains static; Even with normal voltage fluctuations)
BUT when power goes off (thank to OUR Power cuts & Power THIEVES), the ADSL signal drops periodically in say some 1-2 minute intervals, making it almost useless to use internet (i.e due to constant disconnection and reconnection )

DLINK 2640T comes with an AC 220V to AC 12V 1.2Amp Simple transformer adapter. (This comes from a firm named AMIGO ITE Ltd. and costs friggin 450 bucks. These get burnt if there is a good voltage spike)
My UPS is of PowerCom, single battery OFFLINE type (the normal common ones) which is 10 times better than other cheap and crap of microtek (bought and sold to "kabadhi-wala" i.e. scrap dealer), Frontech , Umax etc. (By comparing the build quality and setup inside shows the same). (I hope people replying know whats d difference between offline and online)

After lot of testing, i have come to conclusion that its the INVERTER issue. Even though the inverter i got is a SUKAM, Good quality SINE WAVE one (microcontroller based), i feel the voltage still fluctuates more than normal for modem to keep the adsl signal static)

My Options:
I read all over internet regarding other people having such issues: and there were few reasons and solutions provided
Few thread were:
http://www.techenclave.com/broadband-forum/adsl-modems-wifi-router-modem-123281/
http://www.thinkdigit.com/forum/har...ct-my-modem-power-supply-molex-connector.html

Options were
1) USE SMPS based 12v Yellow output and put that DC input into Modem. Given the fact that it has a rectifier built in, DC will pass as such and only requirement amount i.,e 1.2Amp would be withdrawn.
Also as i had GOOD quality (Costly Cooler master SMPS), the quality of supply would be good (interference; noise etc would be less)
BUT When i did that, the ADSL drops regularly in both normal electricity & inverter feed

I tried measuring voltage levels in both Normal Electricity & Inverter Feed in both 12v DC Output SMPS Molex & 12V AC Output DLink Adapter for finding a reason.
Normal Electricity INVERTER
SMPS 12.3 12.2
DLINk Adapter 13.8 11.9-12.0

- There is indeed higher range in Adapter case & pretty constant in SMPS case (As expected)
- Further voltage is higher than 13V in DLink adapter normal electricity case, i.e the only time when the ADSL doesn't drop. Does that mean Static ADSL needs 13V to work. Inverter Voltage never came close to 13v
Is voltage the reason here? Guys having good electrical knowledge kindly help?
Further is there any way, i can increase the voltage at molex end from 12.2 to 13.2V or something like that...using some resisters, etc ..just to check (Sorry i have forgotten quite a physics now)

2) USE SMPS based wall adapter which is not linear like default dlink adapter and switched mode will correct the issue.
http://www.thinkdigit.com/forum/qna-read-only/86194-dlink-glb-502t-problems.html
here a guy used some oswal adapter and i was never able to find any for 9v even,,,forget the 12v.

Anyway, as people have told that as long as amperage is not less than the required (can be higher) and voltage is same, i can use any adapter.
So to check whether these smps based will work, i plugged in my TATASKY (DTH brand) 70-240V AC to 12V DC 2.5Amp SWITCHED mode adapter.
In this case, ADSL dropped even with normal electricity feed.

I searched online but never found any 220V Ac to 12v AC or DC 1.2Amp SMPS adapter.
I found a 220V Ac to 12v DC 1.5Amp SMPS adapter but i am not sure whether that will work (Seller also not sure) . I may be just spending on useless adapters.

3) Use a stabilizer.
Well only one person online said so, i tried, using a AUTOMATIC 0.5 KVA Stabilizer, the same we use with our refrigerators.
ADSL constantly dropped on INVERTER feed as before.

WHAT NOW?
Few things to be noted here:
- Firstly, given the fact that there is no issue at all with my adsl signal when there is normal electricity completely rules out any issue with my adsl line or SNR ratio and other stuff.
- Some people also talked about other things providing interference to modem line. I tried removing landline wire & modem to an isolated place and then checking things. Same adsl drops on inverter.
- Secondly, of course i don't plan to change my INVERTER, just for the sake of testing my adsl ****. So not an option. Going to other people's places to find out is fine but very few have adsl broadband
- Thirdly, i am really at wits end to halt my online activity due to constant power cuts and load shedding . One can plan power cuts and work accordingly but this load shedding shits a load on everything else (of course ADSL drops here)
- Also does this has anything to do with INVERTER's earthing?
- Interesting thing i found out is, during the early 5-10 minutes of power cut, the ADSL doesn't drop. After that time, it starts dropping regularly as explained at top. Is that pointing to the fact that early on inverter is fully charged or something and provides better voltage? Any other equipment used at home with inverter works fine all the time.
- Also pertinent to mention here that ADSL signal is fine with UPS supply when normal Electricity feed & Inverter is turned off. That gives me an idea that ONLINE UPS (no relay based stuff) will prolly solve the issue. I need to cross check though as a good brand ONLINE UPS like of APC would cost me >600 USD (30000INR)
- Kindly share your thoughts or experiences . also help me find the solution. I am really feeling desperate due to this.

I am new to post here and but i promise i will reply INSTANTLY.
I am trying to ask this on various forums too.

lvgandhi

dear dlinkman
Though it has not solved my problem, it has reduced by changing 220vAC/12VAC adapter. Further I also checked voltage after my online UPS(800VA), it was practically constant. Hence I changed adapter. Still only on sometimes the connection drop occurs. I feel this may be due to
BSNL side.
To avoid problems now I use airtel mobile internet which gives 300MB for 102rs for a month as alternative in case of frequent disruptions.

dear dlinkman
Though it has not solved my problem, it has reduced by changing 220vAC/12VAC adapter. Further I also checked voltage after my online UPS(800VA), it was practically constant. Hence I changed adapter. Still only on sometimes the connection drop occurs. I feel this may be due to
BSNL side.
To avoid problems now I use airtel mobile internet which gives 300MB for 102rs for a month as alternative in case of frequent disruptions.
Which online UPS you got? bcoz ONLINe ups should solve the issue (if you are supplying power from it to your modem) as far as i have been able to search on the subject.

The culprit is the INVERTER supply and that remains so when we use a normal offline UPS (the usual 1500-3000 Rs variety). Good online UPs with an half hour backup for a moderator jig(PC) would not cost less than 25-28000 Rs (i confirmed this for Well known APC brand models)

Also can you tell me which adapter you got currently?
220 to 12VC ac what amperage?
I got a DLINk 2640T and it needs 1.2Amps

I also have a backup plan of mobile internet of AIRCEL (3GB for 99Rs or 250MBfor Rs46; Both 2G) but they are no way reliable or speedy like broadband! 3G plans are of course still priced like diamonds! (Thanks to our POLITICIAN THIEVES)

Further when we have irregular and big power cuts (Thanks to our Power department GHOOS-KHORS & the COMMON-MAN THIEVES(who trick energy meters and use illegal connections))....
it is not easy to keep connecting backup connections and reconnecting back to broadband.
It still is the same mess!

Your problem is most likely with the power to the modem, that is the modem adapter, is not supplying enough voltage during mains failure (from your UPS/Inverter).

Do not connect an SMPS output to the AC input of an appliance. The AC input voltage of 12V is actually having a peak of about 17V, when the AC voltage is measured to be 12V. SMPS 12V DC output can never give that voltage, and would have shutdown well before reaching that kind of high voltage by the Overvoltage circuitry.
More importantly, the current goes goes thro' different paths (diodes) during positive and negative cycles of AC. With a DC input, the current is always thro' one path, which means double the current flows thro' one path and nothing in the other path. In these days of cut throat competition, the diodes are definitely not rated for double the current and will blow after a prolonged useage (if you are lucky).
SMPS 12V output is spec'd at +/-10% as against +5V which is +/-5%. +5V is normally primary rail which is regulated, and, +12V gets regulated indirectly with a wider margin.
Might sound too technical, but I suppose since you mentioned old physics somewhere, you get the idea.

Solution is to get a transformer with a higher secondary voltage rating, say 13V AC. Secondary Current rating should be higher than the 1.2A, maybe 1.5A. No harm will happen with higher current rating, just that you have to pay MORE! 15V AC is standard, and, can be used if the PS inside the modem is SMPS, but you need to confirm this with probably D-Link Support.
You could also get a custom transformer made with multiple tappings at 13, 14 and 15.

Do not connect an SMPS output to the AC input of an appliance. The AC input voltage of 12V is actually having a peak of about 17V, when the AC voltage is measured to be 12V. SMPS 12V DC output can never give that voltage, and would have shutdown well before reaching that kind of high voltage by the Overvoltage circuitry.
More importantly, the current goes goes thro' different paths (diodes) during positive and negative cycles of AC. With a DC input, the current is always thro' one path, which means double the current flows thro' one path and nothing in the other path. In these days of cut throat competition, the diodes are definitely not rated for double the current and will blow after a prolonged useage (if you are lucky).
SMPS 12V output is spec'd at +/-10% as against +5V which is +/-5%. +5V is normally primary rail which is regulated, and, +12V gets regulated indirectly with a wider margin.
Might sound too technical, but I suppose since you mentioned old physics somewhere, you get the idea.

Solution is to get a transformer with a higher secondary voltage rating, say 13V AC. Secondary Current rating should be higher than the 1.2A, maybe 1.5A. No harm will happen with higher current rating, just that you have to pay MORE! 15V AC is standard, and, can be used if the PS inside the modem is SMPS, but you need to confirm this with probably D-Link Support.
You could also get a custom transformer made with multiple tappings at 13, 14 and 15.

Thanks for quick and detailed reply. Yea i understood a bit.
So what you mean is SMPS Adapter with secondary of 12v DC 1.2 or 1.5 or even 2Amps would not help (i was planning to waste money on that, to check) &
i would need a linear Adapter (Simple Transformer) with 13V AC Secondary ? Right

15V AC is standard, and, can be used if the PS inside the modem is SMPS, but you need to confirm this with probably D-Link Support.
&
Adapter with 13V AC Secondary is also fine as long as modem has inbuilt SMPS. UI am not sure what that means!
But i am fed up with DLINK support. These morons have removed the only support center in my state (whole state). I came to know about this yesterday...planning to buy another default 12v AC 1.2amp adapter (which went dead when i was trying it with a automated stabilizer)
So firstly they won;t know it and i can't believe them either!

Your problem is most likely with the power to the modem, that is the modem adapter, is not supplying enough voltage during mains failure (from your UPS/Inverter).
Well PC and modem load goes into an offline UPS (the common one) and not an online one(Cost is almost 10 times), AFAIK former have a relay based network i.e current flows directly to load when UPS is powered by any electricity (mains or inverter) else it switches to UPS battery circuit. So i don;t think there would be any difference if i use the load directly to inverter point (which further might be harmful as inverters are not for stuff like computers, which may shutdown when mains comes & goes, due to fluctuations)

I have had a similar answer provided by a guy on another forum
Kindly read
w w w. doityourself.com/forum/computers-peripherals/473973-modem-adsl-link-issues-need-solution-ac-dc-guidance.html
w w w. doityourself.com/forum/computers-peripherals/473975-can-i-use-12v-ac-1amp-adapter-modem-requiring-12v-1-2amp.html

So in end, any idea where i can buy 13V or 13.5 V Max(? or 14v will do also?) adapter with ratings of 1.5Amp or more (As you said it should be >1.2 Amp; What should be the max amperage? Can it be any? more means costly?) ?

Any branded equipment you know of uses such adapter, so that i can buy that branded adapter itself as it would be of a high quality (quality control) than the normal low quality ones floating around

P.S.
1)Also why i thought of using SMPS based DC Adapter Or 12v from SMPS molex 12v Supply itself is as it has been discussed before here
http://www.thinkdigit.com/forum/har...ct-my-modem-power-supply-molex-connector.html
Also somewhere else i read that modems have rectifier built in (As they use DC only in circuits(?)) so DC input privided to it will pass the rectifier as such as modem will withdraw 1.2amps or as required without any issue (I.e AC input is not mandatory)
But After reading your and that other threads posts, prolly that won;t work

2) Another question: Are there any 13 or 14V SMode adapters available? and will they work?
&
if they would work... can i increase my Computer's SMPS 12v supply to 13or 14V from a specific molex connector to use it in modem?

Last edited:

rangarajan

Try this site for computer related solution,both Hard & Soft.
I find it good.

virtualdr.com

nebujvs

Anyone please suggest , how to earth the telephone wire?

My modem not connected when the UPS on and main connection unplugged ,when it just plugged(no main supply) it start to work, but my PC work smoothly , both time.

Thanks for quick and detailed reply. Yea i understood a bit.
So what you mean is SMPS Adapter with secondary of 12v DC 1.2 or 1.5 or even 2Amps would not help (i was planning to waste money on that, to check) &
i would need a linear Adapter (Simple Transformer) with 13V AC Secondary ? Right
Yes. Cannot use DC 12V in lieu of AC 12V input. SMPS gives 12V DC out, and, the modem expects 12V AC. Current will be drawn as required by the modem. Since you have an adapter rated for 1.2A that should be the max drawn by the modem. Nothing wrong with a higher rated (current) adapter. FIY, the 12V AC is converted to DC voltages inside the modem.

Adapter with 13V AC Secondary is also fine as long as modem has inbuilt SMPS. UI am not sure what that means!
With a higher input voltage to the modem (13V AC instead of 12V AC, or more when the input is on mains), there will be additional dissipiation on the power supply inside the modem, when the powersupply inside the modem is of linear type. SMPS works differently and is ok with that.

planning to buy another default 12v AC 1.2amp adapter (which went dead when i was trying it with a automated stabilizer)
So firstly they won;t know it and i can't believe them either!
Again, avoid using a normal voltage stabilizer as when they correct, a relay contact changes tappings of a transformer, and your equipment is starved of power for that few milliseconds, which if it exceeds what can be tolerated by your equipment's (PC or modem) power supply capacitor, then the controller inside the equipment can hang or reset (not to your choice, though!). Offline UPS for PCs are designed to switch faster to take care of this. Yes, online UPS are expensive.

1)Also why i thought of using SMPS based DC Adapter Or 12v from SMPS molex 12v Supply itself is as it has been discussed before here
Also somewhere else i read that modems have rectifier built in (As they use DC only in circuits(?)) so DC input privided to it will pass the rectifier as such as modem will withdraw 1.2amps or as required without any issue (I.e AC input is not mandatory)
But After reading your and that other threads posts, prolly that won;t work

2) Another question: Are there any 13 or 14V SMode adapters available? and will they work?
From your response earlier, the modem works reliably only with 13V AC input. That would mean giving about 18V DC from SMPS adapter. Again, you run the risk of sending the whole current thro only one path instead of the 2 paths, for half the time each, when using AC. That is, when you give AC input, 2 rectifiers will be used for half the time in each cycle, and if you give DC input, 1 rectifier will be used all the time, and the other rectifier will not be used at all. This would normally work, but cant say about the reliability.

if they would work... can i increase my Computer's SMPS 12v supply to 13or 14V from a specific molex connector to use it in modem?
[/QUOTE]
Unfortunately, NO.

I suppose you live in India. You could check out with your local electronics market. You could certainly get a tranformer made to order. More current is more money, directly proportional. Tappings at 13, 14 & 15V means, that you will have four wires available, with one wire at say 0, and the other wire can be one of the three to give 13, 14 or 15V which would help you later. This transformer made normally would be more rugged as they normally use more turns.
If I could get a confirmation from D-Link, a standard 15V AC with 1.5A or more transformer can be used, which would be readily available and solve problems easily.

Anyone please suggest , how to earth the telephone wire?

My modem not connected when the UPS on and main connection unplugged ,when it just plugged(no main supply) it start to work, but my PC work smoothly , both time.
You dont earth the telephone wires. Earthing is done at the exchange.
Your mains connection to the UPS should remain plugged as this is the one giving earth to the PC.