Dropping Internet connection, -source of problem, BSNL, servers, Modem, or Inverter?

Re: Dropping Internet connection, -source of problem, BSNL, servers, Modem, or Inver

13.5V AC wont damage your modem. They dont make it so critical, atleast not yet.
But your current has to be 1.2A and above. Does not matter if it is 1.5A or 2A, except that the cost will be higher. The actual current will be what the modem draws, and the rating here specifies how much current you can draw from the transformer.

Re: Dropping Internet connection, -source of problem, BSNL, servers, Modem, or Inver

13.5V AC wont damage your modem. They dont make it so critical, atleast not yet.
But your current has to be 1.2A and above. Does not matter if it is 1.5A or 2A, except that the cost will be higher. The actual current will be what the modem draws, and the rating here specifies how much current you can draw from the transformer.
I think you missed my point in last post.
See getting a >13 or <14V AC secondary adapter (to be safe) is difficult . Further the difficulty is most of them are 1 amp ones.. i even did a extensive search.(Cant find more amps in < 15V)
Yes, i understood the point till now about the amperage thing. Bigger Amperage is costly, spends more energy(Wattage) but handles more products or products withdrawing more current. And low amperage product will also work.

NOW regarding my last post, the issue i am talking about is...
isn't the secondary voltage dependent upon the primary voltage fed into adapter?
IF my Inverter is supplying inadequate voltage (which is what we are discussing solutions about till now), and i somehow get a ready made 14V adapter with >=1.2Amp rating, my modem iwll work properly, duriring power cuts.
But what will happen when mains power will come back?
Won't the primary in that case would be more than inverter supplied primary voltage? If yes, that means secondary voltage would exceed 14V with that same adapter and may burn the modem?

Are u getting my point? or am i applying some kid-electronic fundas.. :D

&
This is when i take it that voltage indeed is the only issue (which i am less sure about; I think Modified Sine wave of my Inverter is the MAIN issue. I searched lately about it and found many people having problem with other equipment too, with such inverters which dont have pure sine wave)

Another IMPORTANT development or FACT which has come up (as i said i have been discussing the same issue at another forum) is...

As i was asked to, i tried powering up the modem only from the inverter (with all loads of inverter taken off)
Wallah... the ADSL doesn't drop. :O
I measured voltage across that inverter socket too with a cheap digital meter n here r results ( I checked for 5 min each )

Only modem load --- ADSL static, 247-248V (245-252V)
Switched on UPS on same socket (using extension)- ADSL drops as before ,259-260V (258-264V)

The voltage range is brackets what I got on digital.meter when I switched red and black wires of multimeter between power socket's 2 holes i.e. phase n neutral. That has larger range as you can see. Not sure what that means

Though i am awaiting confirmation..that probably means Voltage is the actual issue and indeed the modem is not getting the required voltage from inverter ???
BUT
WAIT...WAIT
Why the hell i am getting larger voltages when adsl is dropping? Is adsl drop due to higher voltages?

GTji

I use APC UPS specifically only for my modems and my wifi routers, that hopefully should help stabilize any kind of voltage problems I guess.

@THETRADER
so whats the final call/verdict of the cause and exact solution?
(Tried PM'ing but probably you have disabled PM's)

@THETRADER
so whats the final call/verdict of the cause and exact solution?
(Tried PM'ing but probably you have disabled PM's)
Hi, Sorry, I thought you were going in for a online pure sinewave inverter, and was not following this thread anymore. I have not disabled (PM) anything, just checked again and could not locate where such disable /enable is present.

Anyway, coming back, I have considered 'Mains coming back, higher voltage, etc.,' and then only suggested 13.5V AC custom made. 15V AC transformers are available right off the shelf, and that is the reason I was hesitant to suggest that.

About lower current rating of the transformer, if your device (modem) needs more current than the rating, the voltage drop would be higher upto a certain point, and constant overloading will make your transformer give up the ghost! Never use a transformer of current rating lower than what is required.

These Multimeters are calibrated to show the voltage correctly within the specifications (of the multimeter) if the input voltage waveform is sinusoidal. For the DC supply for the modem, it is the peak values that matter. The quasi sine ones normally on no load (your modem is 'no load at all') have higher peaks which would satisfy the DC requirement. At higher loads the middle peaks flatten out and the pulse widths get wider........ This will go on like this. However, all the factors you have given still fit into the logic including higher voltage(!) not working, etc., as this gets explained in waveforms.

BTW, take those stuff in the net pages with a pinch of salt, unless it is from a tech co. The reason I am saying is that one of your references, was talking about reducing current from an SMPS 12V output to the modem with a resistor of 5 to 10 Ohms!

Get a transformer of atleast 1.2A or higher rating, custom made. You could give your old adapter and ask for a secondary voltage of 1V higher in the new transformer.

Follow the general rules - Keep your signal cables away from power cables, keep the inverter, UPS away from the modem. Keep all connections firm - the RJ45 and RJ11 especially. Replace those cables if you find the gold plating on the connector terminal is not shiny.

Wish you all the best!

Hi.. try changing your modem. I was suffering from intermitent connection drop issue for 6 months and even BSNL ppl were clueless. Replace with a good branded Modem and the drop connection problem will be dropped