Can learning technical analysis help you earn money?

Jai Mata Di

The key is to build yourself as a complete trader progressively.

Learning technical analysis can't solely help anyone earn money consistently.
The key is to build ourself as a complete trader progressively.

But this is most common mistake that most people do is that they expect to earn money consistently with learning technical/fundamental only. Then, they have no clue why they are failing..

Just take a real life example, just learning to know how to play chess game can't make anyone a grand master. Efficiency & psychological power to face adverse condition,dealing pressure, only comes with experience & continuous progress.
In trading there is no level playing field, all player play together in same game(same market) and there is either a winner or a looser. That's why 9 out of 10 people are loosing here.

Learning technical/fundamental analysis, research, having a back tested system with positive expectancy etc etc in only about maximum 20-30% part for successful trading. This is only first step (this usually take about 2-3 years with all in depth knowledge).

Unfortunately the rest 70-80% quality comes only from real life trading experience for at least 3-5 years after learning 1st part.

Out of which 30-40% is about money management(average losses must be smaller than average profits) and 40-50% about trading psychology which teaches us emotionless trading, unbiased thinking, will power to face uncertainty & adversity in market,cutting loosing position early & patience to ride on a trend.

Traders can read books on money management & trading psychology. But no book can teach it ultimately as every person have different risk taking ability, power of emotional control. Every trader have to discover himself through experience, it is like continuous personal development.

Any profession takes time. Here it takes at least 5-7 years overall to be a successful trader with continuous progress. But the end of that journey a lot of independence come to our life in terms of money and time.

Hope this helps.

Best Wishes & Happy Trading.

H.C.

Last edited:

sspms2002

I am also Novice like you and i was intrigued by technical analysis when i started 6 months back...I though i was smart and i can use the indicators to make money...

At day end when you see the indicators like MACD , Stochastics , RSI etc it seems so simple to make money...we could have just bought when there was any crossovers..or Stochastics were oversold or vice versa...it looks so simple..

But then in live trading..it is very difficult to judge that cross over of MACD..as it might or might not...and you are in doldrums at that points..

Similarly for stochastic can be in oversold and we could have bought...but you never know if that Stochastic will rise from there or will it still remain oversold for more time and in that process you may accrue losses..

I feel that there is 50 - 50 chance of making money just using Indicators...
as some work in trending markets and some work in choppy markets...

You may need to have something else to decide the momentum/direction of market..

Having said that..when you find a stock where this indicators works..you would be able to pull out good money too....but over a period of time it balances out...

Now one more imp questions to seniors who are using Indicators to make money , plz also tell what other factors you are considering apart form them..

Also technical analysis is not only this technical studies , it also involves Price action..

viz...A hammer (candle stick pattern)..at a support level....where Stochastic is also oversold...will have very high win %...

Seniors..plz don't provide half knowledge..as its very dangerous for new bees...

prst

If you learn technical analysis in stock market, can that help you earn money?
I know there is nothing sure shot in stock market but what can one do to increase chances of earning well in stock market?
good question.
but we are all still looking answer for this question :)

jahan

good question.
but we are all still looking answer for this question :)
Technical Analysis is only one part of puzzle, off-course its way better than fundamental Analysis,The major part of puzzle is Psychology and ur beliefs about markets,we not trade markets, we trade our beliefs about markets.

Regards,

Technical analysis is benefit for your trading, but it's not enough to earn money. Trading skill, good brokers, and concern about important news, such as US Non-farm Payrolls etc.

Well if you want to become a technical trader then understanding technical analysis is going to help you build your trading plan accordingly, and if the analysis is suitable, your results might be improved, although analysis is not everything in forex, there are many other factors that contribute to a trader's success.

jagankris

Technical Analysis is only one part of puzzle, off-course its way better than fundamental Analysis,The major part of puzzle is Psychology and ur beliefs about markets,we not trade markets, we trade our beliefs about markets.

Regards,
We do not trade markets but trade our beliefs about the markets.
Can you please explain this more ?

We trade our TA/Price action beliefs about the markets.
So TA is the fundamental basis to have the beliefs.
Can it be otherwise ?

jahan

We do not trade markets but trade our beliefs about the markets.
Can you please explain this more ?

We trade our TA/Price action beliefs about the markets.
So TA is the fundamental basis to have the beliefs.
Can it be otherwise ?
Hello,

Yes ur right......the belief could be anything...like u said TA/Price Action..../FA/News/TV Analyst..etc.
we trade only what our beliefs are...

Regards,

Technical analysis is just one of necessary factors to earn money in forex trading, others such as forex knowledge, market sensibility, and good mind etc. Good trader should improve from all factors.