Can I make a living out of Trading only?

Is it possible to earn a living out of trading only?

• Yes,its possible and I am full time trader with no other sources of income.

Votes: 95 69.9%
  • No, its not possible, at best trading can be done as a part time job only.

Votes: 41 30.1%

• Total voters
thank u all for the valueable suggestion and help,i have recently opted for VRS after 25yrs stable job and now trying to trading only it is not easy but it help u to keep yourself busy in day time sometime u make money sometime not my suggestion that solely depend on trading is not good after all there are other activities in life to be completd
i thanks everyone for valuable suggestion and guidence
amrit

trump

Always remember that the failure rate is 95%
in case you are ypung 18 - 22/25 you can give it a shot but give other options open...
no one vil marry a trader unless he is super successful
in case u are midlife married vid kids and parents to take care...dont even think of leaving t job until and unless u make a decent income for 3 years in a row at least
i am sufffering this mid life crisis myself and its difficult .. my qualification is high that forced me to waste my golden years in some university to get a stable high paying job..
Although I managed a job but lost my soul.......job sucks big time but it pays the billl......
Wish one day i wud also resign from my job and do vat i love to do trading.... wish i cud be a 20 something again :(
there are other professions where the success rate is also very low , like the CAT exam, UPSC civil services, CFA etc.but then to be successful in trading one needs to have an edge, else its waste, be it full time or part time.There are people who from their youth have been trading with no other sources of income, but they are very few in numbers, I find most so called traders to be business men or salaried individuals ( I am talking about retail traders only ) who form the major bulk of trading.IMO young age is only advantageous from the view that it gives you ample screen time and higher risk profile, but one can shorten the learning curve with more effort, and yes marriage of a trader (self employed ) may be difficult, but then if one can show the bank statement then IMO it should give the software guys a run for their money.:D

trump

All traders, whether self-taught or not, must at some point ask themselves this question: "Am I improving?" Answering this question honestly will save you a mountain of heartache down the road. since it is of no use to waste valuable lime and money doing something that does not fit your skill set. If you feel that you are improving (measured by your P/L), then stick with it. If after several years you do not see any improvement in your trading, then you must have the courage to call it quits. Some people make good architects, some make good traders: it is as simple as that.

there are other professions where the success rate is also very low , like the CAT exam, UPSC civil services, CFA etc.but then to be successful in trading one needs to have an edge, else its waste, be it full time or part time.There are people who from their youth have been trading with no other sources of income, but they are very few in numbers, I find most so called traders to be business men or salaried individuals ( I am talking about retail traders only ) who form the major bulk of trading.IMO young age is only advantageous from the view that it gives you ample screen time and higher risk profile, but one can shorten the learning curve with more effort, and yes marriage of a trader (self employed ) may be difficult, but then if one can show the bank statement then IMO it should give the software guys a run for their money.:D
Agree with you that success rate in trading is very low.......

But one need not have to show the bank statement to get married....whether someone is doing well in his profession or not is very easy to find out....from the confidence in which he carries himself,the apartment /locality he lives in,from the car and the driver,the friends circle he has,the social network he has, word of mouth.....etc

When a person leaves a say Rs 60,000 pm job and starts trading he has no training in the new profession that is trading, plus he starts with 50,000 or 1 lakh trading capital and will try to make Rs 60 K or more per month , he thinks no learning is necessary, all you have to do is buy or sell....and they miserably fail....if a person drawing 60 K starts with a good capital of say 5 -7 Lacs....and proper self learning /training then it is not difficult to match the earning expectations.

I have known some traders so successful that they give run for money not only to software professionals but also corporate senior executives and established doctors.

Smart_trade

trump

here is a nice post by Creditviolet

38 steps to becoming a trader

They are as follows:

1. We accumulate information - buying books, going to seminars and
researching.
2. We begin to trade with our 'new' knowledge.
3. We consistently 'donate' and then realise we may need more
knowledge or information.
4. We accumulate more information.
5. We switch the commodities we are currently following.
6. We go back into the market and trade with our 'updated' knowledge.
7. We get 'beat up' again and begin to lose some of our confidence.
Fear starts setting in.
8. We start to listen to 'outside news' and to other traders.
9. We go back into the market and continue to 'donate'.
10. We switch commodities again.
11. We search for more information.
12. We go back into the market and start to see a little progress.
13. We get 'over-confident' and the market humbles us.
14. We start to understand that trading successfully is going to
take more time and more knowledge than we anticipated.

MOST PEOPLE WILL GIVE UP AT THIS POINT,
AS THEY REALISE WORK IS INVOLVED.

15. We get serious and start concentrating on learning a 'real'
methodology.
16. We trade our methodology with some success, but realise that
something is missing.
17. We begin to understand the need for having rules to apply our
methodology.
18. We take a sabbatical from trading to develop and research our
trading rules.
19. We start trading again, this time with rules and find some
success, but over all we still hesitate when it comes time to
execute.
20. We add, subtract and modify rules as we see a need to be more
proficient with our rules.
21. We feel we are very close to crossing that threshold of
successful trading.
22. We start to take responsibility for our trading results as we
understand that our success is in us, not the methodology.
23. We continue to trade and become more proficient with our
methodology and our rules.
24. As we trade we still have a tendency to violate our rules and our
results are still erratic.
25. We know we are close.
26. We go back and research our rules.
27. We build the confidence in our rules and go back into the market
and trade.
28. Our trading results are getting better, but we are still
hesitating in executing our rules.
29. We now see the importance of following our rules as we see the
results of our trades when we don't follow the rules.
30. We begin to see that our lack of success is within us (a lack of
discipline in following the rules because of some kind of fear)
and we begin to work on knowing ourselves better.
31. We continue to trade and the market teaches us more and more
about ourselves.
32. We master our methodology and our trading rules.
33. We begin to consistently make money.
34. We get a little over-confident and the market humbles us.
35. We continue to learn our lessons.
36. We stop thinking and allow our rules to trade for us (trading
becomes boring, but successful) and our trading account
continues to grow as we increase our contract size.
37. We are making more money than we ever dreamed possible.
38. We go on with our lives and accomplish many of the goals we had
always dreamed of.

Most traders will identify with this list and should be able to place
themselves within these steps. Keep in mind that very few people
progress through these steps in an orderly fashion. Developing your
trading skills is an iterative process. For example, you may reach
Step 13., find that although you were making money, your basic
premise for trading was flawed (you might have been benefiting from
the bull market, rather than your own trading prowess and then have
been rudely awakened when the market entered a bear phase) and you
may drop back to Step 4. and start 'climbing' the steps again.
Having the proper mindset, attitude and psychological makeup becomes
increasingly important as you progress through the steps. The focus
of the earlier steps is on external issues, i.e. developing
proficiency in the mechanics of trading while the focus of the
latter steps (particularly from Step 30, on) is on internal issues,
i.e. improving ourselves mentally and psychologically, maturing as
trader

trump

No Guarantees in Trading

In the movie, A league of their own, Tom Hanks proclaims that: “there is no crying in baseball”; similarly I will proclaim to new traders that: “there are no guarantees when it comes to trading!” In my years of experience as an educator, I have found that it is actually much better to understate expectations to students rather than to inflate them. When students realize that it is an uphill battle, they are better prepared for the challenges of trading and the psychological rigors involved. When they understand that trading success is neither easy nor quick, they are more likely to be patient and persistent. Having realistic expectations about their trading journey allows them to plan better, to persist and persevere on the path to success. As a matter of fact the vast majority of traders that usually fails or gets discouraged do so as a result of their false expectations of ease and immediate success.

Trading is an extremely challenging endeavor; it requires an extraordinary level of discipline and psychological emotional control. Learning to read and understand the market is a piece of cake compared to the psychological challenges involved. The psychological obstacles are especially difficult to overcome if you are trading with money you cannot afford to lose or trading to generate money to meet your living expenses.

Trading With Your Own Money

I will share with you the experience of three bright colleagues who worked as professional traders for a major insurance fund. All three were extremely successful trading at their company. They had a stellar trading record for over ten years; they were in fact the company’s top three traders. Tired of office politics and the company’s meager salaries compared to the profits that they were generating for the company, they got together and decided to leave the company and to trade for themselves.

They pooled their own personal capital funds, rented and furnished a beautiful new office and started their own private trading fund. Confident and proud they began their venture with great hopes and even greater expectations. After all, unlike the amateurs out there, they actually had a proven track record of success.

Unfortunately, one year later, their venture had lost over one half of their capital and they were at each other’s throats. Each blaming the others for the losses. Their venture failed and each of them is now working for a different company.
It’s one thing to trade with someone else’s money and it is another to trade with your own. No one should ever trade with money they cannot afford to lose or trade because they need money to meet current expenses.

Naturally, no one trades to lose money but if you are trading for income and you start to lose your own hard earned capital, your fear and emotions will dramatically influence your trading decisions. We are all humans, as human beings, whether we like it or not we have emotions. More often than not, our emotions control us in a powerful way. This is why in recent years more and more professional trading activity is being turned over to machines. Computer algorithms now control the decision making process to completely eliminate any human emotions from the process. The most profitable traders in the market today are high frequency traders. These high frequency traders simply rely on algorithms that read order flow and react at lightning speed. Some of these high frequency trading firms make tens of millions of dollars in the market each day. They rarely have a losing week or month.

However, these types of profits are not available to the small individual trader. New traders and beginners need to have realistic expectations about the market. First of all they need to realize that learning to trade through a trial and error is the most expensive way to learn to trade and usually the fastest way to losing your precious capital.

Don’t Ever Get Overconfident

While a good education certainly helps to put traders on the path to success, traders need to understand that even with the best of education and coaching it takes time and practice to become consistently profitable. Naturally, the time it takes to become successful as a trader will vary from one individual to the next. However, as a new trader if you are profitable after your first year of trading count yourself among the lucky few. You need to realize that you are probably doing better than 98% of all other traders that started at about the same time.

The more realistic you are about your trading goals and expectations the more likely you are to succeed. In my approach to trading education I use a goal post approach or milestones for the learning process. Students must first learn basic trading concepts, once mastered they begin to practice using paper trading, once consistent profitability is established with the paper trading drills they are ready to begin trading live with very small positions. Once they are consistently profitable with small positions, students start to gradually increase their position size. Students are taught to continually document, evaluate their performance and work to refine and improve their results. One of the biggest challenges I continually face with new students is that once they are armed with new knowledge they are overly eager to rush and implement it in the live market.

Knowledge without discipline and skill is extremely dangerous in the market. Confidence is a great virtue but overconfidence can be devastating when it comes to trading. Overconfidence leads to carelessness, poor risk management and sloppy execution. Successful traders are always humble and continually aware of the markets risks and dangers. I always instruct my students to focus on learning properly first before they begin to ask questions about how much money they will make in the market. Once you begin to learn and practice you will be able to determine for yourself how much money you can reasonably expect to make in the market. Allow yourself the time to learn, to practice and to develop your skills as a trader before you count your profits. Manage your expectations according to your own performance and pace. Preservation of capital, Patience, Practice, Persistence and a Positive mental attitude are the five “Pees” or key pillars of success.

------
source
http://www.strategictrading.net/keppler_trading_article5.html

Answer to ur question is certainty yes

Before quitting ur job - Do u you have a strategy that can make money consistently and did u verified it real-time over a reasonable period of time. If your have not got one then start ur learning journey, it takes many years and effort.