3 "Death Trap" mistaks traders make(Part 2)

2. Counter Trend Trading and Bottom fishing

Human Emotions, what a continual marvel!
All of us want everything for free or at least at the cheapest possible price.

One mistake that the novice traders make, out of emotions, is to make trade in the opposite direction of the trend. They buy a stock when the price is making lower-high and lower-lows (definition of DOWN trend) in an attempt to try and catch the bottom. They want to enter the stock at the lowest possible price and ride the rise of success. This attempt of counter trend trading and chase of price in search of the bottom is referred to as bottom fishing.

Yes, they will be able to catch the exact bottom once or twice in their trading careers but most of the times they will not. And when the novice trader fails to catch the bottom, he falls prey to the first mistake that we discussed; he converts from a trader to an investor and holds the loss making position.
Mistake! Mistake!! Mistake!!!

There is a simple yet effective solution to avoid such situations, when the stock is in a DOWN trend (making lower-high & lower-low) we must not take a long position. We must only take a long position when the stock starts making higher-high and higher-low (Definition of UP trend). There is NO established study that tells us that it is NECESSARY for us to try and catch the bottom at all! Just give this emotion a pass. Simply DONT bother about buying at the bottom.
It CAN NOT be done!

Its better to enter a trade late and move out of it quickly instead of moving in early and holding the position for a longer period of time with the ever so prevailing RISK of losing money to the down trend!

sudoku1

Its better to enter a trade late and move out of it quickly instead of moving in early and holding the position for a longer period of time with the ever so prevailing RISK of losing money to the down trend!

it would b prudent 2 let ur profits run with trailing stops & catch the whole picture rather than missing the smart rally aftr all that wait & frust !:)

2. Counter Trend Trading and Bottom fishing

Human Emotions, what a continual marvel!
All of us want everything for free or at least at the cheapest possible price.

One mistake that the novice traders make, out of emotions, is to make trade in the opposite direction of the trend. They buy a stock when the price is making lower-high and lower-lows (definition of DOWN trend) in an attempt to try and catch the bottom. They want to enter the stock at the lowest possible price and ride the rise of success. This attempt of counter trend trading and chase of price in search of the bottom is referred to as bottom fishing.

Dear Manoj,

Very Well said ... I am a live example of your explanation above. I did the same mistake try to do bottom fishing and got stuck. Holding a stock for 4 months hoping that it will rise one day ! :p

Now, can you guide me how to get out of this situation ? I have some thoughts in my mind but just want to know if you have any other good idea which can minimise my loss.

I know i might have to book loss :( this might be my 2nd loss in last 50 trades !

netman

ASH, without knowing the stock name, i don't think experts would be able to see the charts and advise you, please post the script name in which you have this position.

ASH, without knowing the stock name, i don't think experts would be able to see the charts and advise you, please post the script name in which you have this position.

Thanx net man for your gesture !

Well I am stuck with GMR Infra and Reliance comm. !
I brought GMR 200 @ 72 and
reliance comm 200 @ 248, :(
now stuck with them i can't see any uptrend till budget !