Status
Not open for further replies.

anayash

Re: new cheapest broker is here. Zerodha

Hi Zerodha,

How much money needs to be in my account if I want to short(write) one lot of a Nifty Option for intraday?

Taurus1

We have been on it for the last 15 days on setting up rules on our risk management which will identify these kind of positions... The problem is not entering the trade, it will let a client enter...It is a little technical..
The problem happens while exiting... if 6000 calls and puts are written and 6200 calls and 6200 puts are bought say at 150 150 and 70 70.. The max risk on this strategy is say max 100 points.. The problem happens, when he exits his one short option position... Suddenly he will be holding a short option position just with 7 k in his account, whereas he would need 30000..
The workaround is to not permit the closing of the long position until the shorts are closed first :D, just like a client is not permitted to buy shares in excess of his cash balance.

Last edited:

anayash

One more query,(purely for intraday)

Suppose I have 14000 in my account & I have shorted 100 shares of TATAMOTORS(Cash) at say Rs.1320.

Suppose i don't square off the position till 3.10 pm, would your automated system buy back the entire 100 shares at that time?

I am asking this because you are not allowed to carry forward short positions in cash market. Otherwise it goes into auction.

Whereas as against the above, if I was long TATAMOTORS at say the same price & i don't square off, your automated system would sell 90 shares at 3.10pm & the remaining 10 would go into delivery.( considering i have 14k in my a/c).

Please clarify whether what I posted above is correct.

comm4300

Hey Zerodha,

One suggestion about your referral plan:

when email ids are copied and the message is sent, could you please make it bcc? coz i learnt it the hard way that ALL the contacts are in the "to" field and vulnerable to spammers.

I've had to send across at-least 5 apology emails so far....

Thanks!

Zerodha

Well, I am a very beginner in trading and would like try out hands in trading stocks and etf.

Kindly help me understanding
1) Is 20/transaction is the only fee i need to pay apart from 600 Rs annual fee for stocks.
2) For ETF, as per my understanding i need to pay 20/transaction + fee of the forex (some 0.55% + Taxes)
3) How much i can trade for if I submit an intial amount of 50K in my trading account.

Pardon me for my noobish question, kindly enlighten.

Cheers
Annual maintenance for demat is not 600, it is Rs 400

Yes 20/transaction is all you pay.

Yes you are right about ETF's

With 50k in your account you can take 10 times exposure for intraday equity and trade futures with 50% of span margin. For delivery and overnight positions, you need to bring in exchange stipulated margins.. Cheers..

Zerodha

One more query,(purely for intraday)

Suppose I have 14000 in my account & I have shorted 100 shares of TATAMOTORS(Cash) at say Rs.1320.

Suppose i don't square off the position till 3.10 pm, would your automated system buy back the entire 100 shares at that time?

I am asking this because you are not allowed to carry forward short positions in cash market. Otherwise it goes into auction.

Whereas as against the above, if I was long TATAMOTORS at say the same price & i don't square off, your automated system would sell 90 shares at 3.10pm & the remaining 10 would go into delivery.( considering i have 14k in my a/c).

Please clarify whether what I posted above is correct.
If you are trading stocks on NOW platform, while trading there are 2 options..
When you are placing an order, you have an option to place order either
a. CNC, when CNC is chosen, there will be no margin available, this product is for delivery based trading.
b. MIS, when MIS is chosen, this is an intraday product. You get upto 10 times leverage for this product. Any open position which is in MIS, would get squared off completely between 3.10 to 3.25.

For FNO , there is only one product, NRML..
Intraday FNO positions would be squared off upto the position that your margin can hold between 3.10 to 3.25. so for eg, if with 50k you have bought 4 lots of intraday nifty future, if the client doesn't square off, between 3.10 to 3.25, we will square of 3 lots and let you hold 1 lot as the margin required for 1 lot overnight position is 30k.

Hope this clarifies..

Zerodha

Hey Zerodha,

One suggestion about your referral plan:

when email ids are copied and the message is sent, could you please make it bcc? coz i learnt it the hard way that ALL the contacts are in the "to" field and vulnerable to spammers.

I've had to send across at-least 5 apology emails so far....

Thanks!
Point noted, will get it fixed... Thanks...

anayash

If you are trading stocks on NOW platform, while trading there are 2 options..
When you are placing an order, you have an option to place order either
a. CNC, when CNC is chosen, there will be no margin available, this product is for delivery based trading.
b. MIS, when MIS is chosen, this is an intraday product. You get upto 10 times leverage for this product. Any open position which is in MIS, would get squared off completely between 3.10 to 3.25.
Understood.

but doesn't an MIS order type get automatically converted into a CNC type if I have required amount of money in my account?(if someone wants to carry forward intraday long positions)

So here is how it is, the margin required to short options keeps reducing as and when the strike keeps going out of money.. So for eg today, if you had to short 5900 call and hold overnight, margin required is 31000, 6000 call is 29000 and so on and 6500 call is 18000 Rs... Same way the 5500 put the margin required for overnight position is 18000Rs.
Together it is 36000 Rs that is required, which is very close to what is required to short 1 in the money option(32000)... So, yes there is a margin benefit, but not as much...
What we are trying to work with the NOW team is to set in rules where, assuming you are short 5500 put and 6500 calls, but you are also long 5300 put and 6600 calls.. basically a position where the maximum risk is 100 points on nifty( Rs 5000).... We are trying to set rules where you can get this benefit.. with 5000 you should be able to setup the entire strategy... Cheers...
Hi. By when can we expect this to happen. Reply on funding of overnight posn is still awaited. Pl reply.

Status
Not open for further replies.