Zerodha for dummies

praveen98

Hi TimePass bro,

Thank you for this thread. Few basic things that I want to ask here are

1. During Log in, there are few checkbox, like Quick Login, Download scrip, Clear & Download all scrip, Launch Plus. What are the uses of these checkbox, and when they are used.

2. In the buy/sell order window what is the difference in LIMIT/MARKET/SL order type. And does it ask for transaction password every time we buy/sell/modify/cancel an order?

3. After the order is traded, where can I see my positions in real time, and net profit/loss as the price moves ?

4. The last and most disappointing thing is the chart.

- The OHLC chart is appearing too small due to large y-axis value. Cant we change this ? I mean chart is appearing in a small section, if it can use the entire space, then chart will be clear and bigger.

- The candles are not at visible clearly, and it is really hard to distinguish between a green and red candle. And where is the option for switching time frame. lets say 2/5/30/1hr time frame ?

- NOW is getting unresponsive everytime I am trying to open the intraday chart.

- Is there any option of downloading/exporting the chart data to excel.

Are you all used to this type of charting experience ??? :confused::confused:
Or am I missing something ??
HI Taiki,
Here are the answers to your questions to the best of my knowledge....
1. The check boxes can be ticked and unticked depending upon your requirement, if you need a quick login we can untick all other boxes and tick only quick login, if you need to download scrips afresh say after expiry of a Derivatives contract month we can tick scrip down load afresh, if you want nest plus you can tick plus launcher...
2. It asks for transaction password for the first order of the day or after relogin in a day if you place antoher order after relogin . Limit order is an order type to enter or exit a position at a particular price point, Market order executes order immediately at the best available bid or ask price....some times placing a market order is risky, SL order is a protective order to an existing position but with all these orders we can enter or exit a position.....
3. You can see realtime position and gain or loss in Masters -> Admin positions day wise and netwise also...after market hours sometimes it shows erratic results but during market hours it is good...
4. Yes charting is not that great in NOW ...but you can download the data to excel Market -> Hourly statistics -> you can select NFO for derivatives and contract required and 1min 5min 15min 30min and 60min data can be viewed if you want to download the data right click -> write to excel ....
Hope this clears some of your doubts
Happy trading:thumb:
praveen

Last edited:

Taiki

HI Taiki,
Here are the answers to your questions to the best of my knowledge....
1. The check boxes can be ticked and unticked depending upon your requirement, if you need a quick login we can untick all other boxes and tick only quick login, if you need to download scrips afresh say after expiry of a Derivatives contract month we can tick scrip down load afresh, if you want nest plus you can tick plus launcher...
2. It asks for transaction password for the first order of the day or after relogin in a day if you place antoher order after relogin . Limit order is an order type to enter or exit a position at a particular price point, Market order executes order immediately at the best available bid or ask price....some times placing a market order is risky, SL order is a protective order to an existing position but with all these orders we can enter or exit a position.....
3. You can see realtime position and gain or loss in Masters -> Admin positions day wise and netwise also...after market hours sometimes it shows erratic results but during market hours it is good...
4. Yes charting is not that great in NOW ...but you can download the data to excel Market -> Hourly statistics -> you can select NFO for derivatives and contract required and 1min 5min 15min 30min and 60min data can be viewed if you want to download the data right click -> write to excel ....
Hope this clears some of your doubts
Happy trading:thumb:
praveen
Thank you bro,

Thanks for your clear and point wise explanation :)

onequorauser

This might sound like a very basic question but can you trade breakouts using COs in Zerodha. Basically I want a buy order to get triggered if the price goes ABOVE a certain value and go short if the price goes BELOW a certain value.

The reason why I am asking this is because I have been told that it is not possible to do this in Fyers. Basically the problem is such order types become sL-M orders on both sides and they only allow one leg of this type. So you have enter at market if you want to have SL-M on the actual stoploss side.

In MIS, I would put the SL-M as order type for entry and put up the actual SL again as the SL-M once the trade is triggered but then I dont get the CO leverage.

This might sound like a very basic question but can you trade breakouts using COs in Zerodha. Basically I want a buy order to get triggered if the price goes ABOVE a certain value and go short if the price goes BELOW a certain value.

The reason why I am asking this is because I have been told that it is not possible to do this in Fyers. Basically the problem is such order types become sL-M orders on both sides and they only allow one leg of this type. So you have enter at market if you want to have SL-M on the actual stoploss side.

In MIS, I would put the SL-M as order type for entry and put up the actual SL again as the SL-M once the trade is triggered but then I dont get the CO leverage.
No doesnt, Cover order entry are SL-M.
Bracket orders u can use to enter for having leverage. Keep initial target wide if u want to actively manage trade

You can do it in Kite, as explained by our member @imfine in his thread.