Would be a great help if someone wer to mentor/guid me

DanPickUp

mentors dont advertise or ask others to join them! believe me no successful trader will waste time in teaching n mentoring others until n unless he/she has vested interest! so most of them either do time pass & loot others OR some serious guys will teach u things which are already in the public domain!! u just need to devote time n energy to absorb them BY URSELF!

REAL mentors are RARE n dont get into monetary gains by helping others. those who are looking for monetary gains are looking for extra capital to either make up for their trading losses or simply earn as an extra income!

if d tricks of d trades are taught to public, hw it will remain a TRICK! by trick i mean a successful trading method! at the end of d day u trade 2 earn money n nt do charity! its a simple funda of demand n supply in financial mkts. imagine if everybdy knw wen 2 buy or sell, NO ONE will earn as either it will b heavy on DEMAND or SUPPLY!

NOTE: most of d advertisers/users/entities in these types of FORUM are multiple fake IDs of these so called mentors n their fellas. SO BEWARE!

THIS POST IS NT DIRECTED TOWARDS ANYBDY..............
Interesting. And to which group do you belong. :D:lol:

the answer is in RED!

"REAL mentors are RARE n dont get into monetary gains by helping others."
how would you judge a mentor as REAL or unreal?
the answer is in the quote only! u need 2b a bit more watchful!

"mentors don't advertise"
....then how do we know about them?...Richard Dennis invited applications through newspapers.
word of mouth publicity

"will teach u things which are already in the public domain!!"
best system in the public domain - Turtle system, which has found a place in the bible of TA - Edwards & Magee book...so why markets still produce so many losers, 95%+?
if u still feel that turtle system works in the present financial mkts post the 2008 crisis which has increased the volatility to its extreme, then ur highly mistaken! turtle sys is a BIG TIME FAILURE in present mkt conditions!

"u just need to devote time n energy to absorb them BY URSELF!"
what if anyone had already tried this for 8+ years?
simply his efforts were NOT ENOUGH! if some1 cnt learn it in 8+ years, its better he shud either quit or ask some1 else to manage his money! one needs to understd his limitations!

"don't get into monetary gains by helping others."
why would anybody necessarily commit time for no returns?
thts wt i explained it in d post. the message ws loud n clear - proven money making techniques will nt be taught to public even for a return/fees. those who do r making a fool out of ppl who follow them!

"those who are looking for monetary gains are looking for extra capital"
....anyone may wish the same.

you are rite - nothing wrng in it! but he is nt a true mentor! he is teaching wtever is available in public domain (in a diff wrapper)

"if d tricks of d trades are taught to public, hw it will remain a TRICK! by trick i mean a successful trading method! "
------proven trading methods exist, no use searching for tricks.
by tricks i mean SUCCESSFUL TRADING SYSTEMS/METHOD! btw if proven trading methods exist, why not every1 becoming a billionaire.....

thanks!

i completely agree wid u!

i reiterate myself - REAL mentors are RARE!

In my view following should be considered in selecting a mentor and a mentee.

1) Mentor and Mentee is a long term relationship...it is a close relationship, so both mentors and mentees need to be very carweful in selecting each other.

2) The mentor has to b a good trader...he may not be a wizard trader but he must be a successful trader himself. Mentees should demand to see the actual ledger of mentors trading account or a model account for last 6 months in which actual trades are taken in real time on the methods traded by the mentor. A colourful excelsheet is no proof of the success.... - extremely important! if anyone come across some one like this & is ready to mentor, then he is a REAL & RARE mentor!

3) It is very important for a mentor and a mentee to find out whether trading style of both match...this is very important as if there is a mismatch, it will not benefit the mentees as he cannot effectively trade these methods.

4) It is important to find out whether or not the mentor is able to give reasonable time for training the mentees.....a mentor may be a great trader but if he has no time he is of no use as a mentor....

5) Mentoring is a lot deeper process than teaching a method.....a good trader and a great teacher may not be a good mentor necessarily.

6) It may be a good idea to check the trading performance of the mentees too who have passed out in earlier batches.....

Good mentors dont come in great numbers...it is very difficult to come across a mentor which is right for one's trading personality.

Smart_trade

Last edited:
dear...I too agree with your REAL & RARE theory, but will you please give a practical solution to the problem at hand? That is, who is that rarest of the rare man and how to contact him?
Don't get into the trap.
Better learn by self. there are ample knowledge is available on net. Search the required topic.
keep one thing in mind follow the charts and leave emotion outside.

I guarantee you will be successful.

enjoy trading. :cool:

believe me trading is SIMPLE but not EASY!!

strategy/system/rule is just 20-30% of the trading. the rest & main thing strict money/risk management rules. master them and even a simple MA based mechanical system will b profitable in a longer term.

btw to refine & improve the strategy/system/rule one shud read, demo trade, & improve till it gives results on paper. AND there is no end to reading. in this journey if u find any REAL & RARE mentor, consider urself lucky!

dear...I too agree with your REAL & RARE theory, but will you please give a practical solution to the problem at hand? That is, who is that rarest of the rare man and how to contact him?

there is enuf material available on WEB on the failure of turtle system post 2008 crisis. pls check! the reasons high volatility, liquidity, HFT/ALGO trading etc. also, BUY n HOLD hs changed to BUY n HEDGE!

"turtle sys is a BIG TIME FAILURE in present mkt conditions!"
....can you prove it?

"if proven trading methods exist, why not every1 becoming a billionaire....."
....Same system was taught to every turtle but not all made it big, leave becoming billionaires....Remember what Richard Dennis said: I always say that you could publish my trading rules in the newspaper and no one would follow them. The key is consistency and discipline. Almost anybody can make up a list of rules that are 80% as good as what we taught our people. What they couldnt do is give them the confidence to stick to those rules even when things are going bad. From Market Wizards, by Jack D. Schwager.

Hello everyone,

Systems need to be dynamic just like the market. So its wrong to say that the system has failed. I am sure, Richard Dennis (guy who started Turtles) would have modified his system as time went by.

Today polygamy is a crime (and seen as bad by the society) but back in Mahabharata times Lord Krishna had 1000 wives !! TIMES HAVE CHANGED AND SO HAVE THE RULES. Mind it , we still worship him.

Richard Dennis (TURTLE) was not a failure. He was brilliant for the times he lived in.

My personal belief is : There is no shame in learning about stock market techniques from trainers. When I went to do my CA years back, I never bothered whether my accounts teacher made money out of his accountacy practice or not. THE ONLY THING I WAS BOTHERED ABOUT WAS HIS ABILITY TO EXPAIN AND PUT ME ON THE RIGHT TRACK. Today he is still teaching and I am a Chartered Accountant !!
Imagine if ARJUN said I would not learn anything from DRONACHARYA. If he was so mighty he would have conquered many kingdoms with his might. But Arjun worshipped his mentor for what he taught him and not for what his mentor achieved in his personal life.

And I am happy to repeat : My experience with a stock market course in Bangalore (basic and advanced technical analysis) (dont want to discuss names) has been excellent. I still keep in touch with him and express my gratitude towards him.

Thanks

Last edited:
back-test turtle system & any other highly followed system of this forum or any other forum on the data post 2008, you will get the ANSWER & EXPLANATION!! atleast this u cn DO IT BY URSELF where U DONT NEED A MENTOR!

"Systems need to be dynamic just like the market. So its wrong to say that the system has failed. I am sure, Richard Dennis (guy who started Turtles) would have modified his system as time went by."

I think the above is very likely as modifying/adopting the system would not have been too difficult for Rich.
prob wid today's traders or newbies is they want too much too quickly - which is IMPOSSIBLE! trading needs practice & YOU DONT PRACTICE WITH REAL MONEY - or DO U???!!!

a successful trader first read, design, backtest, improve thru paper/demo trading & then risk real money. those who dont, curse the mkt & luk for holy grail & mentors to bail them out! thts where these so called MENTORS hunt!

ask urself - if these REAL n RARE mentors were god send or self made! certainly they didnt even eat MENTOS!!

all d best with NOT so REAL & RARE species! i rest my case here!

dear, so this is where these thoughts lead us to.

1. Keep on reading and keep on testing and back-testing, keep on playing with the indicators or combinations of them, keep on repeating the same 100s of costly mistakes lakhs of newbies make again and again - but don't learn from anyone less than the REAL & RARE mentor.

2. Keep betting on your luck endlessly for a meeting with the REAL & RARE mentor (mostly like Ahilya waited for Ram) - but don't learn from anyone less than the REAL & RARE mentor.

Last edited: