Thomas DeMark Sequential System

prabhsingh

Observations ... as of Nov 22

Airtel - Sell Setup Complete Nov 21. Waiting for reversal (swing trade) or countdown
BHEL - Buy Setup count 8 today. Tomorrow should be count 9. However, it is way far from the TD S&R.
GAIL - Buy Setup complete Nov 21 - Was not monitoring it earlier. Way far from TD S&R. Seems to have reversed today (for a swing trade).
Hero Motors - Buy Setup complete Nov 21. Waiting for reversal.
L&T - Buy setup complete Nov 21. Way far from TD S&R - Has Reversed
Reliance - Buy setup complete Nov 19. Has not reversed. Maybe in count down?
Tata Motors - Sell setup complete Nov 13. Wow - what a move after that.
Tata Steel - Buy setup complete today (Nov 22).

** All observations based on AFL without checking the intersection etc. visually
** Rather than counting count-down manually, I am hoping to extend the AFL to do this better (and more visually). Slow in programming so bear with me. Might take a month if that. My hope is to mark each bar with a) setup, b) count down c) combo - each info on top of each other so that one glance you know it all. I also want to visibly mark points where a count gets canceled. Till then, bear with half baked information. If such code is already there, please let me know.
Mate,

At what price TataSteel can be accumulated as a buy since setup already completed today.

sanjosedesi

At what price TataSteel can be accumulated as a buy since setup already completed today.
That's your decision.

The setup can go the following ways:
Setup --> Trend Reversal (Swing) - which is what I try to catch
Setup --> Trend Extension (Count down)
Setup --> Failure (Cancelled)

There is no way to know which way the market will move. Ideally you should trade on the completion of the countdown. If trading pure setups, I mentioned the other 2 conditions before ... setup should complete near TDST S&R, and price should reverse ... close higher than the high of previous 2-3 bars.

Maybe it will go down even more but buy only when it signals the trend change. If it continues to go down another 5 days, just forget about this setup and track the countdown.

My personal view - this is a good price to buy - but I have learnt market does not care about personal views.

sanjosedesi

Bade Miyan, Budhape mein trading karte ho, coding karne mein kya harz hai ??:D
ST man, that's life. Recently someone called me the best programmer he knew but that was based on how he knew me 20 years back. Times have changed, learning is very slow and distractions are more. So ... "focus" is the need. For success - either trading or coding, not both. That's why this AFL change (if it happens) will be a monthlong or quarter-long project.

sanjosedesi

The trading method here gives 10-15% returns and usually runs longer than swing trades. why should delay in taking the trade by a day make it a missed opportunity? 90% Opportunity is still there, as i understand.
# I did not say I did not pick up any :) But I picked up way less than what I could have.

# I have been tracking only setups and while I understand countdowns, I have not traded them much so better to be safe even if 10% profit is on the cards. It is one thing to do the calculations by hand or to look at old charts, but totally another to actually go through a multi-day/week trade with a new setup.

# I do realize that countdowns are much more profitable and as part of the dialog on this thread, I hope to clear up my thoughts on this topic and use them much more than setups - hopefully over the next month or so.

# What I am starting to realize is that demark gives a lot of opportunities even at daily level - you just need to track a bunch of scrips rather than follow just one.

A set up gets completed at about 50-60 % of the price move (unless the market makes multiple set ups) . So 40-50 % of the move is still there after the set up.

Breakout of the earlier opposing TDST ( ie if buying, a buy TDST) will normally give an earlier entry in the initial stages of the move.

After 9 bars set up market generally goes into small sideways/ antitrend correction.

After a countdown buying /selling on a indicator such as TD Point Reversal gives good and reliable entry or even a TDST breakout on smaller timeframe gives good low risk entry.

Just a few of my observations.

Smart_trade

sanjosedesi

Observations ... as of Nov 23

Airtel - Sell Setup Complete Nov 21. Waiting for reversal (swing trade) or countdown. Reversal seems to be happening.
Apollo tyre - Buy setup complete a month back, buy countdown complete a couple of days back. Today it cracked - good buying opportunity or reversal?
BHEL - Buy Setup complete today - Nov 23. However, it is way far from the TD S&R and AFL not showing the blue color 9. Weird.
GAIL - Buy Setup complete Nov 21 - Way far from TD S&R. Rather than swinging, it seems to be continuing the trend (countdown not counted).
Hero Motors - Buy Setup complete Nov 21. Swing reversal seems to have started.
L&T - Buy setup complete Nov 21. Seems to be consolidating. Let's see.
LUPIN - Buy setup complete Nov 23 but nowhere close to TDST S&R.
PNB & SBIN - Buy setup count 8 on Nov 23. Pretty close to TDST support. Setup may complete Monday.
Reliance - Buy setup complete Nov 19. Reversal, if any is small.
Tata Steel - Buy setup complete Nov 22. Moving down - extension of trend?

** All observations based on AFL without checking the intersection etc. visually

sanjosedesi

Alright guys, I have done a few cosmetic modifications to the code.

I have not pasted the entire code since it makes reading TJ gets difficult. What people can do is to replace the code within the sections "TD Sequential Plotting" and "TD Points Plotting Area". It contains 3 changes:
A) Background of green/red is removed. I do not know if it has a purpose - it might since clicking on different regions of the chart changes the background color. However, I do not like it and have removed it. If you want it ... do not replace (comment out) the last 4 lines of the code at the very end.
B) Displaces the setup count vertically to give more space between the price bars and the CIRCLEs.
C) Makes the countdown signal more visual compared to the previous iteration. With my change, you see not only the arrow, but the BLUE circle also which makes you find these in a much easier way.

You can test this with the following scrips
- Apollo Tyre for a buy setup + countdown completion on November 9, 2012
**** Ritesh said the calculations were wrong, but that's how the code is now, so let's check with that
- Hindalco for a buy setup + countdown completion on October 22, 2012.
- Bajaj Auto for a sell setup + countdown completion on October 31, 2012.

/////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
//*********************************************** TD Sequential Plotting area*************************************************/
Plot(C, "", IIf(O>=C, colorRed, colorGreen), styleBar);
PlotShapes(IIf(Buy9Intr OR Sell9Intr, shapeDigit9, shapeNone),colorBlue, 0, H,
20);
if(ShowNumbers)
PlotShapes(IIf(Buy9Bars==1, shapeDigit1,
IIf(Buy9Bars==2, shapeDigit2,
IIf(Buy9Bars==3, shapeDigit3,
IIf(Buy9Bars==4, shapeDigit4,
IIf(Buy9Bars==5, shapeDigit5,
IIf(Buy9Bars==6, shapeDigit6,
IIf(Buy9Bars==7, shapeDigit7,
IIf(Buy9Bars==8, shapeDigit8,
IIf(Buy9Bars >9, shapeStar,shapeNone))))))))),colorGreen, 0, H, 10);
if(ShowNumbers)
PlotShapes(
IIf(Sell9Bars==1, shapeDigit1,
IIf(Sell9Bars==2, shapeDigit2,
IIf(Sell9Bars==3, shapeDigit3,
IIf(Sell9Bars==4, shapeDigit4,
IIf(Sell9Bars==5, shapeDigit5,
IIf(Sell9Bars==6, shapeDigit6,
IIf(Sell9Bars==7, shapeDigit7,
IIf(Sell9Bars==8, shapeDigit8,
IIf(sell9bars>9, shapeStar,shapeNone))))))))),colorRed, 0, H, 10);

Sell = Sell13Signal AND NOT BuySignal;
Buy = Buy13Signal AND BuySignal;
Sell = ExRem(Sell, Buy);
Buy = ExRem(Buy, Sell);

PlotShapes(Sell*shapeCircle, colorBlue, 0, H, 25);
PlotShapes(Sell*shapeDownArrow, colorRed, 0, H, -40);

PlotShapes(Buy*shapeCircle, colorBlue, 0, L, -5);
PlotShapes(Buy*shapeUpArrow, colorGreen, 0, L, -20);

//if(StrToNum(NumToStr(BuySignal)))
//bgColor = ColorRGB(0,66, 2);
//else
//bgColor = ColorRGB(66,2, 0);
//SetChartBkGradientFill( colorBlack, bgColor);
/////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
//*********************************************** TD Points Plotting area*************************************************/

Last edited: