Original Turtle Rules - As A Complete Trading System

veluri1967

Thanks Rajeevji for pulling out the gem from the archive of TJ.
And ofcourse, thank a lot Savant for sharing this with TJ - one of the most famous trading system that I have seen in Trading literature.

IMO, the crux of the system is in 5th pdf. Putting the extract here (specailly the highlighted part)..

But certainly one can learn a lot by studying these rules (specially scale-in and trailing stoploss part). Personally, that is the part I had picked up from these rules and implemented in my systems. Somehow, I am not gifted by the patience that is required to trade this system.. so I don't trade this system or its variant.
But, Certainly I recommend the study of them to know how to define a proper trading system, completely.

Happy Trading
Dear AW-10,

I have gone through the rules. Since you have picked up scale-in and trailing SL parts, I would be grateful if you could explain them in indian context.

Thanx

AW10

Veluri, PDF of Part 3 and Part 4 explains it in details about how to use position size based on N which is nothing but 20 day ATR (part 3). In part 4, it clearly mentions how to scale starting with 1 unit, and with each half N ( ie half ATR ) move in your favour, how to add extra units.. Also look at the exit parts.

It is important to grasp them, and once that is done, you can adjust it to meet the requirement of your system. If you believe in 55 days/ 20 days timeframe, then use that period for breakout.. or if you think 50 and 13 days reflect better then adjust the rules and backtest it. Similary, if you are not comfortable with half ATR to build positon then use 1 ATR or 1.5 ATR to build in. Basically, it depends on implementing these ideas in your system and backtesting it to ensure that they give u +ive expectancy system.

In my view, if you current system has room for multiple entry, then these scale-in/scale-out can be very well accomodated in that. For a range trading system (buy support/sell resistance in sideway mkt), it is difficult to scale-in/out.

Hope you get enough clues from my post to work on your system.

Happy Trading.

veluri1967

Veluri, PDF of Part 3 and Part 4 explains it in details about how to use position size based on N which is nothing but 20 day ATR (part 3). In part 4, it clearly mentions how to scale starting with 1 unit, and with each half N ( ie half ATR ) move in your favour, how to add extra units.. Also look at the exit parts.

It is important to grasp them, and once that is done, you can adjust it to meet the requirement of your system. If you believe in 55 days/ 20 days timeframe, then use that period for breakout.. or if you think 50 and 13 days reflect better then adjust the rules and backtest it. Similary, if you are not comfortable with half ATR to build positon then use 1 ATR or 1.5 ATR to build in. Basically, it depends on implementing these ideas in your system and backtesting it to ensure that they give u +ive expectancy system.

In my view, if you current system has room for multiple entry, then these scale-in/scale-out can be very well accomodated in that. For a range trading system (buy support/sell resistance in sideway mkt), it is difficult to scale-in/out.

Hope you get enough clues from my post to work on your system.

Happy Trading.
I think you are not only expert in trading but also in reading the minds of members here.

I didnot expect that you could exactly pin point my requirement of understanding the concept of N.

N= ATR :clap::clapping:

Thatz the exact point where I am lost in understanding the concept.

Thank you.

anayash

How did i miss this thread till now?

Definitely worth a read! :thumb:

Thank you for posting the PDFs. The Starving Trader had vaguely heard about such a project int he past but never had a chance to read about it. This is wonderful! Again, heartiest thanks!

The Starving Trader.

thanks savantji for sharing the pdf files.
hope this thread will soon witness some gr8 sharing of experiences - which i believe will make a novice like me wiser and more objective and disciplined :)

ssvin:clap: