My SIP Portfolio -- help

Hi

I finally bought BIRLA SUN LIFE FRONTLINE EQUITY FUND - PLAN A - GROWTH and
DSP BLACKROCK Equity Fund - Regular Growth

Below is my Portfolio now

DSP BLACKROCK TOP 100 EQUITY FUND - GROWTH - Rs 1000 ( 07th of every month )
HDFC EQUITY FUND - GROWTH PLAN -Rs 1000 ( 01st of every month )
HDFC TOP 200 FUND - GROWTH PLAN - Rs 2000 ( 01st of evry month )
BIRLA SUN LIFE FRONTLINE EQUITY FUND - PLAN A - GROWTH - Rs 1000 ( 07th of every month )
DSP BLACKROCK Equity Fund - Regular Growth - Rs 1000 ( 14th of every month )

I plan to stick to these funds and increase the amount allocated over a period of time ..

Thanks a lot for all your help .. I hope I built a solid portfolio finally
There is NO need to increase the number of funds. Each mutual funds will be holding some 25- 50 stocks. So if you do over diversification. It will affect the entire portfolio growth. I mean the growth of some funds/sotcks will be canceled by some funds/stocks which are not performing well.

If you want to increase the amount of investment, its always better to increase the SIP amount or START a new SIP in the existing/ selected funds.

All the very best to decide to invest for a long time.
Happy Investing.

yodlee99

I think you have one of the stable portfolios that I have come across in this forum. DSPBR equity is a multi cap fund (45% in midcap, 40% in large and rest in small cap). Barring this, the other 4 are in the large cap segment giving less volatility (low std dev) and good returns (alpha). Most interesting thing is that they have given ~25% returns in the last 5 years and deserves the 4 or 5-star rating at VROL.
http://valueresearchonline.com/fund...ect1=219&select1=104&select1=1400&select1=393

If I were to guess your age to be in 20-30's at max, you can replace 1 of the 4 large cap funds with a midcap fund like IDFC Premier Equity-plan A, Reliance Growth or ICICI Discovery to get the extra fuel that will boost your earnings with a little added volatility.
Good luck !

Hi

I finally bought BIRLA SUN LIFE FRONTLINE EQUITY FUND - PLAN A - GROWTH and
DSP BLACKROCK Equity Fund - Regular Growth

Below is my Portfolio now

DSP BLACKROCK TOP 100 EQUITY FUND - GROWTH - Rs 1000 ( 07th of every month )
HDFC EQUITY FUND - GROWTH PLAN -Rs 1000 ( 01st of every month )
HDFC TOP 200 FUND - GROWTH PLAN - Rs 2000 ( 01st of evry month )
BIRLA SUN LIFE FRONTLINE EQUITY FUND - PLAN A - GROWTH - Rs 1000 ( 07th of every month )
DSP BLACKROCK Equity Fund - Regular Growth - Rs 1000 ( 14th of every month )

I plan to stick to these funds and increase the amount allocated over a period of time ..

Thanks a lot for all your help .. I hope I built a solid portfolio finally

I think you have one of the stable portfolios that I have come across in this forum. DSPBR equity is a multi cap fund (45% in midcap, 40% in large and rest in small cap). Barring this, the other 4 are in the large cap segment giving less volatility (low std dev) and good returns (alpha). Most interesting thing is that they have given ~25% returns in the last 5 years and deserves the 4 or 5-star rating at VROL.
http://valueresearchonline.com/fund...ect1=219&select1=104&select1=1400&select1=393

If I were to guess your age to be in 20-30's at max, you can replace 1 of the 4 large cap funds with a midcap fund like IDFC Premier Equity-plan A, Reliance Growth or ICICI Discovery to get the extra fuel that will boost your earnings with a little added volatility.
Good luck !
Thanks a lot for you help as always ..

You guessed it almost right .. I am 31 ..

Well I am not very much aware of the technical terms though . My Criteria for selecting funds based on the terms I understand were

1. Assets > 2000 Cr
2. Time since Launch > 5 Years
3. 5 year return > 20 %
4. No Fund Manager Change for atleast 3 years and some reviews on fund managers performance
5. Value research risk rating below average or low
6. Value research fund rating minimum 4 stars
7. Crisil CPR Rank 1 or 2
8. Equity Deversified Funds only .. ---> have to think about midcap as well now
9. Fund performance during 2008 period when market was down ..
10 .And ofcourse based on the traderji friends opinions ..

What do you think about my criterias ?? some thind doesn't make sense or something I did not consider ??

Regarding my portfolio change .. I think , I will hold on to my portfolio for now . I have started all the SIP's for 13 months so once i cross 1 year I will replace one of these with midcap fund .. What's your view ..

Thanks
Siva

Last edited:

yodlee99

All of ur criteria sounds gr8. Typically valueresearchnoline & morningstar.co.in considers these b4 giving a ranking. Glad you are thinking along the lines of a professional.
In a growing market, there are going to be time periods of downward trend (mainly for global reasons) and yours is a safe bet against volatility. However, there are going to be upward trends as well and your safe-bet funds will deliver handsome returns, maybe not as much as what the midcaps would deliver.

1 interesting fact is that, people tend to invest a lot in midcap and I tend to steer them away from pitfalls. In your scenario, I am doing the exact opposite. What u say, msivask?

All of ur criteria sounds gr8. Typically valueresearchnoline & morningstar.co.in considers these b4 giving a ranking. Glad you are thinking along the lines of a professional.
In a growing market, there are going to be time periods of downward trend (mainly for global reasons) and yours is a safe bet against volatility. However, there are going to be upward trends as well and your safe-bet funds will deliver handsome returns, maybe not as much as what the midcaps would deliver.

1 interesting fact is that, people tend to invest a lot in midcap and I tend to steer them away from pitfalls. In your scenario, I am doing the exact opposite. What u say, msivask?
Yeah .. Agree and thanks for your interest on my portfolio ..

I work in a midcap company .. and I have worked on a Largecap for 5 years .. I know how tuff it is for a largecap to fall and how easy it is for a midcap to swing as well ..

May be that is the reason I am being too much concerned here ..

My feeling is that midcap is for shortterm . Small companies typically last for hardly 4-5 years and after which they become part of a largecap company .. thats purely my point of view .. In this 4 to 5 years it takes atleast 2 years for them to get a hold of the market and by the time they peak they are no more a midcap ( as they would most likely merge to a largecap ) ..So it leaves with hardly 2-3 years for me to book profit from a midcap and I need to judge ( I mean my fundmanager ) when exactly to exit ..EXITING is a critical point in midcap area .. Again , this is purely my point of view based on my experience , I might be wrong and missing some key points , pls feel free to through some light otherwise .

However I am seriously considering your suggesting and I am doing my research on the midcaps .. You will see more of my views in coming days ..

Again thanks a lot for showing so much interest in my investment portfolio ..

Hi Friends ,

Thanks for all your support for building my Portfolio .

I now want to start investing in Gold ,

I read a lot of articles which says Gold ETF is the best step forward

Can experts put their views and Which is the best Gold ETF ( is there any difference at all since all of them would be following price/gram of gold )

Thanks
Siva M

You can choose from any of these:
http://www.valueresearchonline.com/...ating2=2&rating1=1&rating=Any&Submit=Get+Data

Just remember to avoid funds like DSPBR World gold fund that has nothing to do with gold, but invest only in gold mining companies. If they have issues like labor problems, shrinking gold reserves, its NAV may sink.

Its good to have some gold ETFs (not physical gold) for upto 10% of your portfolio as a hedge against inflation. Remember, when ever there is a stock market crash, or currency problem, the value of gold will increase. Historically, its value has a negative correlation with values of $$, Euro, yen etc.