My SIP Portfolio -- help

Thanks for the responses .. I have planned to stick to above funds and have 1000 more in HDFC Equity and DSP top 100 respectively ..

Any Suggestions on how long should I hold on these funds ( I have already been holding on HDFC Equity for past 3 years which has given me a gain of 44 % as of now )

Thanks
Siva
COuld I get help from Experts please on how long should I hold ??

Hi,

The schemes that you have chosen are both technically and fundamentally strong. Here is a strategy that I would suggest for Rs. 5k per month.

Have SIPs for Rs. 1500 per month, in both HDFC Top 200(G) and in Birla Sunlife Frontline Equity(G).

Sundaram BNP Paribas Select Midcap(G) allows you to have a minimum of Rs. 250 per month. So, take an SIP of Rs. 250 per week (which will be Rs. 1000 per month). This will further dilute your risks. You can also have an SIP for Rs. 1000 per month in DSP Black Rock Equity Fund(G).

Have all these SIPs running for atleast 3 to 5 years. So, at the end of the five years, you will be having a large cap diversified core portfolio and a comparatively smaller mid cap portfolio. Later, you may look at rebalancing your portfolio.

Hi All

I went ahead with following breakup

HDFC Top 200 - Rs 2000 / month - 12.27 % Profit - Investing from past 9 months
HDFC Equity - Rs 1000 / month - 64.22 % Profit - Investing from past 4 years ( started with 2K and reduced to 1K after 3 years )
DSP Top 100 - Rs 1000 / month - 6.59 % Profit - Investing from past 9 months

Now I want to invest Rs.2000 more .

I planned to invest 1000 more in DSP TOP 100 since I plan to stay invested for another 6 years atleast , is this a good choice ?? since in 2010 DSP TOP 100 doesn't seem to have done well ..

I do not want to add up in HDFC since I already have more than 50 % of my portfolio in same AMC . Could any one suggest which fund to chose for

Currently I have shortlisted below funds and still researching

Birla Sun Life Frontline Equity Plan A
Fidelity Equity
Canara Robeco Equity Diversified

Please help with your expertise and experience

Note : I do not want to go for Balanced funds since I have RD and I do not want to take any risk on that investment .

Thanks

yodlee99

I see that you have some of the well researched funds with you.. thats great. Glad to know that you have RDs that are safe + secure irrespective of the secondary market.
U currently have HDFC Top 200 - Rs 2000; HDFC Equity - Rs 1000 and DSP Top 100 - Rs 1000 and wanted to add 2000Rs per month in another fund.
One can pick either Birla SF Frontline equity plan A or Fidelity equity. However, I would say, pick one of your existing funds and spread out the 2000Rs and stay invested atleast 5 years. Anything below 5 years is not enough in the market and there are intermittent periods of negative returns anywhere in the world. Infact, running some numbers will tell you that if you were to stay invested for 20-25 years, you accumulate the most in the last 3-5 years time... power of compounding.
HDFC Top 200 & Equity are managed by the same fund manager and the latter gives higher returns by picking more midcap stocks. Same goes with DSPBR Top 100 & Equity.

I see that you have some of the well researched funds with you.. thats great. Glad to know that you have RDs that are safe + secure irrespective of the secondary market.
U currently have HDFC Top 200 - Rs 2000; HDFC Equity - Rs 1000 and DSP Top 100 - Rs 1000 and wanted to add 2000Rs per month in another fund.
One can pick either Birla SF Frontline equity plan A or Fidelity equity. However, I would say, pick one of your existing funds and spread out the 2000Rs and stay invested atleast 5 years. Anything below 5 years is not enough in the market and there are intermittent periods of negative returns anywhere in the world. Infact, running some numbers will tell you that if you were to stay invested for 20-25 years, you accumulate the most in the last 3-5 years time... power of compounding.
HDFC Top 200 & Equity are managed by the same fund manager and the latter gives higher returns by picking more midcap stocks. Same goes with DSPBR Top 100 & Equity.
I thought of doing my additional investment as 1000Rs in DSP Top 100 and 1000 in HDFC Equity . But my worry was that makes Rs 3000 of my investment being Handled by Jain ( FUndmanager for HDFC 200 and HDFC Equity and he is doing a very good Job ) and if he switches company , 3000 Rs might have a chance to go into someone whom I am not sure how much expert he is ...

Any thoughts .. Am I thinking tooo much here ..

yodlee99

Well, good question for which no one except Prashant Jain knows the answer.
Read this month's Forbes India regarding a nice article about him.
If this is your apprehension, let me suggest u this... these are mere suggestions. Go with yours guts regarding the spread between these 3 funds.

HDFC Top 200 - Rs 2500; Birla SL Frontline Equity plan A-Rs 2500; and Reliance Growth or ICICI Discovery- Rs 1000

This way, you have just 1 fund with each AMC; replaced the lower paying DSPBR Top 100 with a better paying midcap fund and have 3 well diversified funds. This way, your exposure to mid&small cap = 1000/6000 <17% of total.
Don't have more than 3 funds for a total SIP of <10,000Rs per month.
Don't stop the SIP when the market goes down. Keep increasing the SIP amount every year, if possible and invest for longer (5yrs+).

Good luck!