Learning and Implementing Ichimoku in Forex

4xpipcounter

I got to get my 2 cents in on this thread to make sure I am subscribed, as I am an ichimoku fanatic.
I'd like to comment on your kiwi trade that lost.It did make a false break out of the cloud, but that would have been one time I would have waited to see if there would have been a pullback. Notice how the tenken and kijun leveled, and the kijun leveled near the bottom of the cloud. This is showing the equilibrium you talked about earlier in your thread. If they were already pointing upward, with the kijun closer to the top, then it would have been a more viable long entry.
Here's a little trick I learned in using stops, and this can be backtested on any timeframe. From wherever the candle is currently at, count backwards 3 candles, and your stop is the kijun.
The ichimoku cloud is the chief cornerstone of my methodology, but everytime I witness someone knowledgeable using it, I learn something, so I am ready to go back to school, and be a good pupil

Bumping this thread up. Plan to restart the learning phase. Everyone's invited to participate and help the community around.

4xpipcounter

On a breakout the one thing you can gauge a TP by is when price flies too high above or too low below the cloud. Gravitationally, it will always pull back to the cloud. Another way to trade a breakout is to just trail the trade with a stop as described in my previous post.
Any other types of trades in using the ichimoku will have its obviations. AS an example, if you enter a long on a crossover while under the cloud, then the bottom of the cloud will be R. If you enter a trade once it has entered the cloud, then the other side of the cloud would be the TP. A classic example of that would be the situation with the EUR/USD this week on the daily. On my thread I forecasted strong resistance this week to be at 1.3624, and that was the exact peak for the week.
I'm not a candle person, but they do play a key element in ascertaining a directional bias. If you have a doji at one of ichimoku's key S or R's, then that is a signal for a reversal. Engulfing patterns are also helpful in finding key reversals.

So these trades are Kumo Breakout strategy

(Here is link to prev post in this thread giving further details of it..
http://www.traderji.com/forex/39601-learning-implementing-ichimoku-forex.html#post423227)

How about STOPs /Target etc.. ?
If we are learning, then lets attempt to learn properly and as best as we can.

I am not trading them, but my stops will be at 1.33440 for EUR Long trade and 1.07455 for CHF short trade.

Happy trading

4xpipcounter

I have been using the ichimoku, successfully in forecasting and trading for almost 4 years. After awhile, the words become 2nd nature. I still refer to the cloud as being the top and the bottom, and cloud breakout, etc. At the beginning I was looking for the blue line (tenken) to crossover the red line (kijun) to determine my trade entry. Or, I would wait for the green line (chinkou) to cross over the candles to determine trend reversal or momentum.
In essence, I tried to westernize the highly respected Japanese lingo.

Hi Ankit, this thread has started my interest in Ichimoku once again. I knew the basics of it but never gone to the level where it I can trade it. I think my biggest fear has been the overload of a Japanese language words. Whenever I came across them, it hit me again and again.
(I have nothing against the Japanese language, but unfamiliar words make it a difficult read)
So I am downloading the DOC version of this thread and going to replace all Japanese names with more familiar words.. and re-read it.

First 2 posts have already given me many ideas to atleast go back and backtest some of the stuff for my instrument - NIFTY.

Personally, I have respect for age old trading wisdom that has originated from Japan (candlestick is live example of that) so will certainly give it a try.
Will come back to this thread later after digesting my version of this.

Keep posting more on this. Happy Trading

ag_fx

Some of them loose too

NZDUSD

I got to get my 2 cents in on this thread to make sure I am subscribed, as I am an ichimoku fanatic.
I'd like to comment on your kiwi trade that lost.It did make a false break out of the cloud, but that would have been one time I would have waited to see if there would have been a pullback. Notice how the tenken and kijun leveled, and the kijun leveled near the bottom of the cloud. This is showing the equilibrium you talked about earlier in your thread. If they were already pointing upward, with the kijun closer to the top, then it would have been a more viable long entry.
Here's a little trick I learned in using stops, and this can be backtested on any timeframe. From wherever the candle is currently at, count backwards 3 candles, and your stop is the kijun.
The ichimoku cloud is the chief cornerstone of my methodology, but everytime I witness someone knowledgeable using it, I learn something, so I am ready to go back to school, and be a good pupil

Thank you 4xp for the insight. I have often mentioned before that the quality of content that a poster posts can always tell a lot about genuineness of a trader.

As for the kiwi trade, I am not too sure what went in my mind when I had taken that trade. It certainly was a cliud breakout trade, coupled with TS/KS cross which had already taken place a day in prior. I entered at the close of the candle outside the cloud(taking it as the cloud breakout) and the SL was placed at the other end of the cloud.
I would like to know your view on something here. If you see the pic, before the trade went on to hit the SL, a reverse TS/KS crossover took place, followed by a pullback to KS. This violated at least one of the conditions of the Long set up. However, the cloud breakout was yet to come. And the Chikou was into the price bars.
How do you handle such situations? DO you trade out because of violation of one of the conditions for the trade and cut your losses? Or do you stay in the trade as long as it does not hit the orginal SL?After all the bottom of cloud was supposedly a good Support and trade might have bounced off from there.

Lastly, I myself am just a learner of Ichi. Due to some commitments over the past few months, I was not able to give time to it and now plan to revisit the set ups and take some trades.

In the end, we all are pupils of market and I am glad to find a senior classmate here. :)

Ankit

4xpipcounter

Ankitgarg, I agree with your last paragraph-- the first part. We are all learners. I have developed a lot of confidence, and I speak from that based on the principles that I have lived, but that is because the experience has brought on confidence. OTOH, I consider myself to be a lowly student, and paying my dues, as I feel I still have much to learn, as this is another reason I love a thread like this one, because the ichimoku stills astounds me.

A few things about that move look obvious to me. The break of the cloud was included with the equilibrium on the part of the tenken and kijun.
This is the hourly chart, so the next thing to consider before taking a trade on it, is what is the 4-hour doing. If the 4-hour had just made a move south, then corrected to a confluence of the tenken and kijun, that may be a stronger precursor of a move south, rather than north.
In other words, use the lower timeframes, but keep in my mind that you are going to have more noise. Use the higher timeframe as a confluence.
Another thing to look for from current level ( as it pertains to your chart) is that price still has not made it south of the cloud. Many times, what happens is that price will break on the other side of the cloud, then you get a correction back to the top of the cloud, which means the cloud now serves as support. If from current level, you get a move back above the tenken and kijun, then that would be an excellent signal to go north.

Constructively, I was looking at your entry, it appears you took the position as soon as the candle broke out of the cloud. More often than not, we will get spikes out of the cloud. When the candle has finished its formation the body of the candle would still be inside the cloud, while the wick was forced out. In essence, the proper entry is after the candle formation, and even better, after the candle formation and a pull back to the cloud.
Keeping the spikes in mind, setting a stop a few pips under the cloud could mean trouble, because of the proclivity towards spikes. If you have to use the other side of the cloud ass a stop, it is also probably too wide. After all, if price gets close, than means the candle is back in the cloud, which means you are going sideways before you even make it back to breakeven. My stop would have been half way through the cloud. Another favorite way I have of using ichimoku to set a stop is look at the kijun, and count 3 candles back, subtract 1, and that is your stop.
This is also why I said that if price breaks back above the TK confluence, it would make for a good entry. At this point, you are looking at strong momentum heading south, and lots of overhead R.

Another nice thing I like about this thread is that I can view the ichimoku as an object, rather than a trading vehicle. Over in my thread, I don't get into any logistical information concerning the ichimoku. This is because in my thread I use it for strictly forecasting, so the ichimoku becomes an official trading vehicle.

Thank you 4xp for the insight. I have often mentioned before that the quality of content that a poster posts can always tell a lot about genuineness of a trader.

As for the kiwi trade, I am not too sure what went in my mind when I had taken that trade. It certainly was a cliud breakout trade, coupled with TS/KS cross which had already taken place a day in prior. I entered at the close of the candle outside the cloud(taking it as the cloud breakout) and the SL was placed at the other end of the cloud.
I would like to know your view on something here. If you see the pic, before the trade went on to hit the SL, a reverse TS/KS crossover took place, followed by a pullback to KS. This violated at least one of the conditions of the Long set up. However, the cloud breakout was yet to come. And the Chikou was into the price bars.
How do you handle such situations? DO you trade out because of violation of one of the conditions for the trade and cut your losses? Or do you stay in the trade as long as it does not hit the orginal SL?After all the bottom of cloud was supposedly a good Support and trade might have bounced off from there.

Lastly, I myself am just a learner of Ichi. Due to some commitments over the past few months, I was not able to give time to it and now plan to revisit the set ups and take some trades.

In the end, we all are pupils of market and I am glad to find a senior classmate here. :)

Ankit

4xpipcounter

http://img203.imageshack.us/i/31909697.png/

It's been disappointing to see this thread come to a stand still, so let's see what we can do to stimulate some interest.
I've been long this pair, GBP/CHF. This is a beautiful setup, as the pair has just broken lose out of the cloud. I also use the stochs as a momentum indicator, and notice how open-mouth it is and point straight north.
The TL was drawn off the top of the previous peak of the cloud at 1.5722. That could be a good point to reverse direction but not yet confirmed.

BTW, I plugged 2 links above. The first will take you to the shack to bring it up. I'm hoping that final one will just print the chart on this post. I've been having a hard time with that lately.

Ankit and 4XP,

Thanks for igniting my interest in Ichimoku. It seems interesting. Though it has a lot of permutations and combinations however it is comprehensive and gives a snapshot of the market conditions fairly clearly.

I have devoured this thread and now mining for more info. at other sites including 4xp blog.

As I am a trend trader relying on MAs only, Ichimoku might just suit me very well.

I will have few queries for both of you in the near future. Please take some time out to help me resolving those.

Warm Regards,
Sanjoy

4xpipcounter

Sanjoy, let me say something that will sound obstinate, but hopefully, bring good news to you.
If you get a firm grasp on the ichimoku cloud, you will throw your MA system in the garbage. IMO, there is nothing better that presents a better balance of the pricing structures in the market. The metaphor I often use is that of a pilot. A pilot ion his plane is watching for everything while he is in the air. As long as he does that, and stays on top of things, he will have a successful flight.
You are now a traders' pilot. Watch for everything around you, and then make your decision accordingly. Watch what the tenken and kijun are doing. Take a look at the chinkou. Watch the cloud in front of you. Is it bearish or bullish? Is it thin or thick. How far under or above that cloud are you flying. Look at the cloud in back of you. If you are flying too low below it or too high above it, that's a warning. Price is getting ready to reverse. How about the current cloud. What does it say.
Whew! There is a lot to learn in Flight Training School. Once you get your license, you will set off for the adventure of a lifetime. These clouds don't rain water. They rain copious amounts of pips and ticks. From personal experience, I can tell you there are so many markets that will yield opportunities, you'll practically go nuts trying to decide which trades you want to take. I feel like a kid in a candy store everyday I go to work, which is the office located one room up from the kitchen.

Ankit and 4XP,

Thanks for igniting my interest in Ichimoku. It seems interesting. Though it has a lot of permutations and combinations however it is comprehensive and gives a snapshot of the market conditions fairly clearly.

I have devoured this thread and now mining for more info. at other sites including 4xp blog.

As I am a trend trader relying on MAs only, Ichimoku might just suit me very well.

I will have few queries for both of you in the near future. Please take some time out to help me resolving those.

Warm Regards,
Sanjoy

4xp,

Ichimoku is a vast ocean and I just got a glimpse of it. A lot too learn and unlearn here to get a grasp.

Its 6:58pm EST now and the markets have opened some time back. I am attaching the UJ chart.

I am looking at the 4H. TS and KS are up. Price is above Kumo. Current Kumo is bullish. Future Kumo is bearish. Chikou is above the price and in "open space".

Need your opinion. As per the Ichi indication, its all bullish but somehow I feel the price will be bearish from here (Price is way below Kumo in weekly chart).

Please advice. What more to look to reach an informed decision and not by hunch.

Warm Regards,
Sanjoy

Sanjoy, let me say something that will sound obstinate, but hopefully, bring good news to you.
If you get a firm grasp on the ichimoku cloud, you will throw your MA system in the garbage. IMO, there is nothing better that presents a better balance of the pricing structures in the market. The metaphor I often use is that of a pilot. A pilot ion his plane is watching for everything while he is in the air. As long as he does that, and stays on top of things, he will have a successful flight.
You are now a traders' pilot. Watch for everything around you, and then make your decision accordingly. Watch what the tenken and kijun are doing. Take a look at the chinkou. Watch the cloud in front of you. Is it bearish or bullish? Is it thin or thick. How far under or above that cloud are you flying. Look at the cloud in back of you. If you are flying too low below it or too high above it, that's a warning. Price is getting ready to reverse. How about the current cloud. What does it say.
Whew! There is a lot to learn in Flight Training School. Once you get your license, you will set off for the adventure of a lifetime. These clouds don't rain water. They rain copious amounts of pips and ticks. From personal experience, I can tell you there are so many markets that will yield opportunities, you'll practically go nuts trying to decide which trades you want to take. I feel like a kid in a candy store everyday I go to work, which is the office located one room up from the kitchen.

4xpipcounter

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Sanjoy, believe it or not I entered a short on this pair looking at exactly what you are looking at on that 4-hour chart. One of the things to take note of with regards to the cloud is that price action has risen above the cloud looking behind and ahead. That means the altitude is a bit too high. Also, with regards to the current elevation it is real high.
After I saw that, last week's WR2 was 83.59, as well as hitting the top of the . I plotted that TL on the chart after I saw how high price had risen.
The ichimoku is the cornerstone in my methodology, but I do use it as a confluence with other indicators.

4xp,

Ichimoku is a vast ocean and I just got a glimpse of it. A lot too learn and unlearn here to get a grasp.

Its 6:58pm EST now and the markets have opened some time back. I am attaching the UJ chart.

I am looking at the 4H. TS and KS are up. Price is above Kumo. Current Kumo is bullish. Future Kumo is bearish. Chikou is above the price and in "open space".

Need your opinion. As per the Ichi indication, its all bullish but somehow I feel the price will be bearish from here (Price is way below Kumo in weekly chart).

Please advice. What more to look to reach an informed decision and not by hunch.

Warm Regards,
Sanjoy