Investment Basket

Re: New Investor : Help Please !!!!

First of all do not take my word for granted. Pleae do your own research by reading the portfolio makeover section in valueresearchonline.com

Thanks Vicky once again

Just few last questions please!

1) How do I allocate if I get some additional surplus amount within these 6 months. Should
the distribution amount be equal within these funds ? Suppose I commit 1600.00 SIP to
each of these funds. Can I increase the amount in a particular month and then go back
to 1600.00 the next month.
Allocate extra money about Rs 2000 say too magnum contra and dsp ml equity about 1000 each.

2) Also in future , If I am understanding it correctly, I should stick to these 5-6 months
only and as and when I get a surplus amount to invest, I should be allocating to these
funds only. Am I right ? (Ofcourse, needless to say, I should be watching the market
situation quite often)
Exactly when you get more money allocate to these funds only. Give about a years time. If the fund is misbehaving compared to its peers exit it. If it is average remain invested. However well and great the fund maybe, the underlying instrument is equity. So monitor your investment atleast once in 3 months and wait for a year to exit.

Also I assume you have sufficient exposure to capital protection schemes like FD, NSC, debt etc. If not you should be putting the surplus money into this. Decide your debt to equity ratio of your portfolio. This varies from investor to investor and you should decide yours to reduce volatility in your portfolio.

3) What happens to SIP plan after 6 months. I may have more money to invest or I may
not have during the 7th month. The nature of my income is not continous as i am self-
employed. I may get a good sum during a particular month or I may hardly any sum. For
example, as stated earlier I have 50K surplus amount accumulated in my savings right
now, but I am not sure how much will be there next month. Please advise.

Thanks

Jeet
If you have more money after 6 months start another SIP in these funds.

Please help me decide

Hi,

I am 24 years old and I want to start investing in Mutual Funds. Its a new territory for me and after quite a lot of research and understanding the highs and lows of investing in MFs, I have decided to start with an initial investment of 30K. I'll be interested in adding to this investment as I get more comfortable with MFs in general. For the time being, here's my portfolio -

ICICI Pru Infrastructure-G (Inv. - 8K)
DSPML T.I.G.E.R. Reg-G (Inv. - 7K)
JM Basic-G (Inv. - 5K)
Kotak Opportunities-G (Inv. - 5K)
Birla Sun Life Income-G (Inv. - 5K)

Now, I have a few questions and I'm sure you guys will help me come up with some kind of solution -

1. I'll be investing through HDFC NetBanking Online Mutual Fund A/c. As there's no facility for starting a SIP, I won't be able to start one. Should I go ahead with the investment this way or register with another service like UsecTrade.com which allows SIPs?

2. Is my portfolio good enough or do you feel I need to revise the schemes and amounts to be invested? If yes, please suggest a suitable portfolio. I think, given my age, I'll be able to take a good amount of risk. I don't plan to increase the size of my portfolio by significant number anytime soon and will keep on investing in these schemes from time to time.

3. Should I stick to the Growth option for all the plans or do you think Dividend-Reinvestment is a more profitable option? I'm confused between these two options. Please suggest.

Thanks in advance. :)

Re: Please help me decide

Sorry to see that no-one is willing to help a newbie. :( I was expecting a lot of replies from the experts here. Anyways, just wish me luck. :)

hI Rigid
Welcome to traderji, wonderful forum of experts on investment, wish you good luck in your initial investment in MF's, the funds you have chosen are very good, but the NAV is high, so it will take some time to get good returns, I feel you should start investing in NFO, that will help you, choose open ended funds, as you can exit anytime, hdfc and icici have sip facility you can enquire from yur branch, they should help you. good luck to you.
aijaz.

Rigid,

Welcome to the forum.

Among the funds you selected
ICICI Pru Infrastructure-G
DSPML T.I.G.E.R. Reg-G & JM Basic-G are infrastructure funds.
I suggest not to go for different funds of same investment profile.
DSPML Tiger is a good selection among infra funds.

There is no relation between NAV and growth.
If you invest in a fund during NFO at Rs.10 per unit and get 25% growth in one year; your NAV will be say 12.50 after one year.
A similar performing existing fund if you buy at an NAV of Rs.50 per unit shall give you 62.5 after one year @ 25% growth.

Low NAV funds shall be good when you go for Divident option since dividend is given on the no. of units you hold.

Greetings ,
i am AMFI certified financial Planner based in jabalpur . Try to find a certified financial planer near your place as they provide better and i say tootal service for investments ,better than banks too. same will guide u to choose best sip to invest in 2008 . best of luck and happy investing.Happy new year
Gourav Dubey
gourav_dubey@**********

Greetings ,
i am AMFI certified fincial Planner based in jabalpur . Try to find a certified finacial planer near your place as they provide better and i say tootal service for investments ,better than banks too. same will guide u to choose best sip to invest in 2008 . best of luck and happy investing.
Gourav Dubey
gourav_dubey@**********

This is a perfect example of a bad advice that all investors should ignore.

hI Rigid
Welcome to traderji, wonderful forum of experts on investment, wish you good luck in your initial investment in MF's, the funds you have chosen are very good, but the NAV is high, so it will take some time to get good returns, I feel you should start investing in NFO, that will help you, choose open ended funds, as you can exit anytime.

hI Rigid
Welcome to traderji, wonderful forum of experts on investment, wish you good luck in your initial investment in MF's, the funds you have chosen are very good, but the NAV is high, so it will take some time to get good returns, I feel you should start investing in NFO, that will help you, choose open ended funds, as you can exit anytime, hdfc and icici have sip facility you can enquire from yur branch, they should help you. good luck to you.
aijaz.
I prefer to invest in old-funds which have a track record to help you.
Go for growth option. Diversify your portfolio beyond infrastructure related funds also. Invest throu' SIP. I think ICICI ppl give option to invest in SIP via net-banking.
Good Luk!