How is that.......?

S S

Hi Prash,

You know I am travelling, and I missed commenting on your previous posting.

One of my classmates is a resident of Australia for over 30 years. He has seen the changes appearing from then to now.

It appears that a surprisingly large number of students are attending under graduate colleges there. These guys being "Bade Baap ke bete" show a lavish life style,,,,, driving Porsche or bmw cars, using the latest gadgets, etc.... that bugs the locals.

But the new generation has a different mindset, which ignores the reactions of localities and prefers to stay in their groups, while doing all sorts of dirty things. In short, they look down to the localities.

That hurt.... and someone looking down at you, and treating you cheap can hurt anyone. That, my friend, is the real problem, leading to these 'smart' boys getting bashed in the late hours, if fond alone. There is nothing 'racists' behaviour, as quoted by the media.

Cheers!
SS

S S

Hi!

There are two opinions about the Police force. One says that they do their duty in Sun & Rain…. sometimes for 24 hours and one should be sympathetic, whereas the others talk bad words.

Lets just take the facts.

Currently, the Police force has THE main job of providing security to ministers and gundas [what is the difference, one may ask, considering the number of tainted ministers in every ministry]

These people consider themselves above the law, and keep dodging the charges against them. Common man does not want to fight with such persons who have power, and also the full backing of the police force. This encourages them to become more and more bold.

All problems of any and every common man are ignored by the police, because of their single important work, on which their promotions and transfers are dependent. Black-mail is a bad word. But something similar seems to be taking place, the exact nature one cannot understand.

And for that matter, people of both sex, in their twenties and thirties are also slogging for 24 hours and without any holidays in private companies. That is to save their jobs as their families depend on their remunerations. One mistake and they could be thrown out of job.

That is never the case with any govt employee. He is ALWAYS pardoned and is transferred somewhere… that is all.

Therefore, one need not have any sympathy with the Police. If one walks into a Police station to lodge FIR, the policemen on duty will first look suspiciously at the person lodging the complaint. The Chor Police role appears to have been reversed these days.

Like someone had said earlier, let the lowest level of policeman get a monthly salary of a lac or even more, and appropriate increases for the higher cadres, but make everyone of them personally responsible and accountable for any and every incorrect actions that any one of them takes…. and suddenly one may find, that people are reluctant to join the police force.

But that would only be a wishful thinking !

Mera Bharat Mahan !
Cheers!
SS

S S

Hi!

Bangalore has a new airport, and the 6 lane road from Airport till the out-skirts of the city is good. The central lane has a speed limit of 80, and the two lanes on it’s left have 60 & 30 Kmph respectively.

Once in a while, one finds the cop stopping the cars running at speed in excess of 80 Kmph. Fair enough. But I wonder, as to how they turn total blind to the heavy vehicles [mostly on govt duty] running in the 80 Kmph speed lane but running at snail’s pace, with another similar vehicle running in the 60 Kmph lane parallel to it, together, both blocking the major part of the road.

The speedy car drivers, getting blocked and hence delayed, try to recover the lost time, once they manage to over take these heavy vehicles, and that is when the cops are ready to catch them.

Smells fishy. In my opinion, any vehicle running in the 80 Kmph lane with speed less than 60 is equally guilty as the vehicle in 80 Kmph lane, running at speed higher than 80. But if the cops would have understood it, they would not be working as cops. THE most important and valuable for them, is their nuisance value.

I could compare it, when I travelled on Mumbai Pune express way, again a 6 lane road. All the three lanes on either side, each lane having the speed limit of 80 Kmph. Great. But most of the cars were running in excess of 100 Kmph, though. Trucks and Tankers kept to the left side of the road.

But the old signs were found in some places, like the speed limit boards of even 30 Kmph for the extreme right lane on each side. That means the old signs have NOT yet been removed. Then how can one know, which are old ones and which are new?

First, I wondered, why the new Bangalore airport road cannot have all the lanes with 80 Kmph speed limit. Then I understood. One needs to go back in time to understand it.

About 40 years ago, the only cars were Fiat & Ambassador. Their starting pick-up speed was too less. At a red signal, the two wheelers would come and stand ahead, as their pick was too good with respect to these cars, so they could shoot ahead of cars as the signal turned green.

Today, things are different. Many man cars have such a beautiful pick-up, that two wheelers look ‘Khatara’ I front of them. And yet, on the six lane road to new airport, these two wheelers keep changing the lanes without giving any signals. Their vehicles too are mostly without mirrors on both sides.

These two wheelers appear to be moving around with board addressed to the cars and heavy vehicle, reading ‘Come Kill Me’ but no cop appears to be understanding the importance of the issue. What should be the speed limit for every different two wheeler, that should be legally led down, for driving inside the city and on crowded roads? Who should look into it? Should the scooties and mopeds be allowed to be run in 80 Kmph speed lane?

But like I said…. how can cops understand it? Because after all, if no one from the crowds understands it, and continues using scooties and mopeds in the fast track lane, how could the cop be different ?

For that….. we need an entire mindset change for the common man…. too much wishful thinking !

Mera Bharat Mahan !
Cheers!
SS

Last edited:
Hi!

Once in a while, one finds the cop stopping the cars running at speed in excess of 80 Kmph. Fair enough. But I wonder, as to how they turn total blind to the heavy vehicles [mostly on govt duty] running in the 80 Kmph speed lane but running at snails pace, with another similar vehicle running in the 60 Kmph lane parallel to it, together, both blocking the major part of the road.

The speedy car drivers, getting blocked and hence delayed, try to recover the lost time, once they manage to over take these heavy vehicles, and that is when the cops are ready to catch them.

SS
The main question to be asked is why do Heavy Vehicles prefer to drive (at their speed) on the fast lane instead of the middle lane. The problem is simple,

If they drive on the slow lane, moving for every small obstacle is a pain in the a** since driving a heavy vehicle is tough business. Theoretically, they should be in middle, but in India, very few drive with any regard to rules and hence the guy will have vehicles overtaking him from both sides. This is potentially unsafe for everyone concerned since one near miss from say left side will make the driver suddenly move to the right thus cramping the guy who was about to overtake or vice versa.

They choose the fast lane because then you have to concentrate on guys overtaking you from only one side (left) since there is no space on the right.

In India, we take traffic rules very lightly. Near my house, there is a High End Restaurant. Every day, one or the other car is parked (with blinkers on) right in front of it and right below a No Stop / No Parking Board. Since its very near to a traffic signal and the road itself is very small, it creates a long queue of vehicles trying to get to the signal.

If at all the Police fines them, its just adds a small fee to the amount they spent inside and rarely bother about it. If the fines are hiked multi fold, it just breeds corruption, either way, the aam admi is screwed :mad:

S S

Hi!

Few valid points, pointed out by both. But when I see a 2 wheeler rider without rear view mirrors going at full blast and with his break light glowing with full power, I know that the rider has pressed the full breaks that shows his loss of confidence in himself and he is taking undue risks while either riding in high speed lanes or changing lanes without giving proper signals well in advance. Well in advance is important.

One more observation was the way the two wheeler rider would overtake a four wheeler from the left side. His eyes are at the front left bumper of that vehicle, as if the bumper has eyes and is watching him and is also acknowledging. Funny. I have seen many accidents taking place when one four wheeler heavy vehicle or bus suddenly halts and the 2 wheeler following that vehicle wants to overtake it. The 2 wheeler gets caught between the right rear bumper of the vehicle which has halted and the left front side of the bumper of the 4 wheeler following it. It turns out fatal.

Mumbai Taxi drivers used to earlier call the autos a “Khatmal’ [Bed bugs] Very appropriate term.

Anyway all this has nothing to do with the politics so I stop at that.

Raj Thackrey is pushing for ‘Marathi’ implementation every where and so is Shiv Sena. Even the number plates of some of their cars are in Marathi. But I came across an interesting incidence recently.

I was in Panchgani, Maharashtra, sipping coffee at a roadside restaurant when a car pulled up. People got down and ordered what they wanted. Just then a traffic cop arrived and ordered that the vehicle should be taken to the police station and shall be detained there.

Reason? The number plate was in Kannada and he could NOT read it to confirm with the car documents that were in English.

I intervened and while talking to the cop in local language, offered help to read the Kannada number plate, so that he could check the details with the documents.

But then, if the cop cannot use his nuisance value, what is the use of him being a cop? He refused to listen to me, and took the vehicle with the passengers to the Police Station. I am NOT aware of whatever happened thereafter. But I am sure that the vehicle must be released after getting the cops getting their nuisance value.

The autos in Bangalore have one very good feature. Each auto has a police certificate showing the photo, name, address and other details of the auto driver. It is in English. I felt that for the Bangalore city, it is required atleast in two languages, English and Kannada. But I am NOT the authority and authorities feel otherwise.

The MNS-Shiv Sena demands for Marathi implementation could be based on the facts that many State govt documents are in two languages, English and Hindi. If what I say about Bangalore is correct [which I think it is] than the demands of MNS-SS don’t seem to be totally out of place.

But always, the party in power can suitably quote parts of the speeches, to generate hatred against their opponents. Congress does that. And evenif they are NOT in power, MNS-SS don’t lag behind in similar attacks on Congress either.

Mera Bharat Mahan !
Cheers!
SS

Hi!

Raj Thackrey is pushing for Marathi implementation every where and so is Shiv Sena. Even the number plates of some of their cars are in Marathi. But I came across an interesting incidence recently.

I was in Panchgani, Maharashtra, sipping coffee at a roadside restaurant when a car pulled up. People got down and ordered what they wanted. Just then a traffic cop arrived and ordered that the vehicle should be taken to the police station and shall be detained there.

Reason? The number plate was in Kannada and he could NOT read it to confirm with the car documents that were in English.

I intervened and while talking to the cop in local language, offered help to read the Kannada number plate, so that he could check the details with the documents.

But then, if the cop cannot use his nuisance value, what is the use of him being a cop? He refused to listen to me, and took the vehicle with the passengers to the Police Station. I am NOT aware of whatever happened thereafter. But I am sure that the vehicle must be released after getting the cops getting their nuisance value.

SS
Actually, I hate local languages being used for Number Plates. Even a well versed localite cannot generally write down the number in a hurry (when there is say a Hit & Run), forget about outsiders.

The reason for having a Number Plate is to uniquely identify the vehicle. While use of Local Language is not prevented, Law makes it mandatory that when Local Language is used, on the sides, English Number Plates should be used, but people are used to making a mockery of the law.

Enough of rant for now :)

S S

Hi!

The earlier education minister wanted to introduce reservation in the prestigious IITs. Not even the managements of IITs but also the students fought tooth and nail. This included the students belonging to the reservation categories, but had secured admission on merit.

Every IITan hated the idea.

In US, the CBS decided to have a small documentary on these institutions. If one sees and listens to the small documentary, it not only makes every IITan proud, but every Indian proud.

Needless to say, US did NOT stay away from it’s dirty behaviour and had to show the slums outside IIT Bombay at Mumbai. But except that part, the balance is just fabulous and needs to be watched and listened to.

The link is –

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-8833138111563450865

Being an IITan myself, I sure am proud. And it would definitely be wrong to even think of an introduction of reservation in IITs, leave aside actually introducing it. Unless the merit criteria is on par with the non-reservation entrants. :D

Mera Bharat Mahan !
Cheers!
SS

Hi!

Needless to say, US did NOT stay away from its dirty behaviour and had to show the slums outside IIT Bombay at Mumbai. But except that part, the balance is just fabulous and needs to be watched and listened to.
I believe that its the Politicians who should be shamed, but when they themselves do not, why should ordinary persons be ashamed of how we are. If even after 50+ years of Independence, we cannot guarantee Primary Education, whatever else we claim to have achieved pales into insignificance.

Being an IITan myself, I sure am proud. And it would definitely be wrong to even think of an introduction of reservation in IITs, leave aside actually introducing it. Unless the merit criteria is on par with the non-reservation entrants. :D

Mera Bharat Mahan !
Cheers!
SS
Reservation is already being introduced. Reservation is a gimmick to hide the fact that even after so many years, for a nation of a billion +, we lack adequate number of good institutions of higher learning.

Politicians are to be blamed for the mess, instead we blame the children for not scoring as much as required to get admission into those premier institutions of learning.

S S

Hi!

Indian politicians understand only money for themselves. They wood take any steps to get the money. They also make policies with both eyes on the reservation policies.

That is why we find the wrong information and references in text books for school. With the reservation being the only criteria for the vote bank, it allows entry for people with poooooooooooor educational background, how can they understand the importance of correct information in text books?

For a govt job, if the entry level asks for 60% of marks or more in case of open seats, for reservation, it is 45% only…. which is 75% of the entry level for open non-reservation level.

So, such characters would be happy to provide 75% correct info in the text books. And with the govt standards, it seems to be acceptable to the UPA led Congress NCP and other political parties of UPA.

Any and every such politician, should be medically treated only by a doctor having graduated through reservation quota and NOT on merit…. which means that those persons who have the merit but belong to reservation also cannot treat the MPs and MLAs and alike.

If for any competitive exam like CAT or even HSC in some cases is considered, if the total number passing through successfully have a percentage of reservation casts to open as say a : b, then the actual reservation percentage should NOT be more than a.

Wishful thinking, that someday, some of this will become a reality, atleast trough court verdicts.

Mera Bharat Mahan !
Cheers!
SS