CRICKET BIDDING JUSTIFIED?

• NO

Votes: 3 25.0%
  • YES

Votes: 9 75.0%

• Total voters
H

hari09omkar

There is one point being missed here and it is criminal to blame it on cricket. The physical training in school is bad, in fact, it's terrible. Ever wondered why our fielding sucks when compared with Ozzie? I've not heard of a school which breeds gymnasts or a school which concentrates on athletics at least here in Chennai. Why blame cricket when the fault actually lies at the bottom of the pyramid?
Who blamed cricket for the sporting failure of our country? I blamed it on our government.Cricket is a by-product of athletic failure.

I do not get the point. Why else do people make cinemas, which earn oscars but end up as great flops? Art for the sake of art is not a good idea in fields where anything more than personal skills are involved. (As a producer would say : Hey buddy, tell that to the bankers!)
Do u mean that the oscar winning films are flops? Good joke! Please check the returns of those world-wide classics oscar-baggers' returns in cmparison to the 3 hour song-dance bollywood khichdis.Astronomical success they are.
What has to be at the top, I dare say, is at the top.
Yes it is.And the name is football.And the biggest name of a sporting event till date is not Olympics,it's Fifa world cup.

So are medical studies, engineering, computers....
Is it?Don't u know that education at primary,secondory,higher secondary,and most professional higher educations are hugely subsidised?Studying M.B.B.S involves money from Government's fund(not in those mushroom alike private colleges).We pay Educational cess on maximum services to bring one medical degree holder and one I.I.ITian.Not the same goes for sports.And u r finding these two sects same! Strange!
cricket was a game played by the elite, football by the hooligans, the difference in liking would exist in the proportion of each of these sects in the total population.....
:eek: The most people of this world are hooligans then! So low taste a comment!:(

Then why not promote chess? It's a very economical game (surely more economical than football) and could earn millions for these African guys if successful!
Have u ever played professional chess? Before making such wild suggestions,please check the accessories a game of chess require to build a professional chess player! Ask oilman.I also played the game in competitive stage and know how tough it is to maintain at economical grounds in chess,even the grandmaster also suffers.It's pretty expensive.
We do not play games for the purpose of making the poor earn money, we play for the sake of entertainment!
Ya....a 10 country-5 day game is entertaiment really!And this thread is of no value then.

I fail to understand your bias for football over other games/sports.
"I fail to understand the world's bias for football over other games/sports."
.....The right and corrected sentence.
Again quoting:
"You will be nearer to Heaven through football than through a study of the Gita"
-Swami Vivekananda
In case u once more fail to understand the biasness of this Highest Dignity Saint also,the Saint whose birthday is 'National Youth Day' chosen by Government of India(12th Jan.),a Spiritual Authority not only for Hindus but across the religions,please,read complete works of Vivekananda.

Last edited by a moderator:

oxusmorouz

Do u mean that the oscar winning films are flops? Good joke! Please check the returns of those world-wide classics oscar-baggers' returns in cmparison to the 3 hour song-dance bollywood khichdis.Astronomical success they are.
You missed the point entirely. I mean to say that the basic motive of any producer would be to earn a return rather than awards, the latter is just a by product of the former in areas where anything more than "personal skill" is involved! Ever heard of flops being nominated for the oscars? :eek:

Yes it is.And the name is football.And the biggest name of a sporting event till date is not Olympics,it's Fifa world cup.
The name varies from country to country and region to region. Biased generalizations, I cannot help with. :rolleyes:

Is it?Don't u know that education at primary,secondory,higher secondary,and most professional higher educations are hugely subsidised?Studying M.B.B.S involves money from Government's fund(not in those mushroom alike private colleges).We pay Educational cess on maximum services to bring one medical degree holder and one I.I.ITian.Not the same goes for sports.And u r finding these two sects same! Strange!
Fantasy indeed! Have you ever gone to a government school and checked the quality of education they provide? Also, can you please quote the number of IIT/IIM students who make it from studying in a govt school? The same can be achieved by pushing funds into football, but without the passion, I doubt if it will provide results.

The most people of this world are hooligans then! So low taste a comment!
I said it, and I hold it. :D

Have u ever played professional chess? Before making such wild suggestions,please check the accessories a game of chess require to build a professional chess player! Ask oilman.I also played the game in competitive stage and know how tough it is to maintain at economical grounds in chess,even the grandmaster also suffers.It's pretty expensive.
Oh dear, I am surprised you have missed the point again. Have you ever even thought of playing professional football and the training infrastructure needed to support the player and the cost involved? Wondered how much the professional football clubs in the big leagues spend on training? I'm not talking of a professional level here but the learning curve expenditure, which is very affordable in games like chess, thus assisting the poor to learn and master the amateur level of the game....which was your original point supporting football, wasn't it?

Ya....a 10 country-5 day game is entertaiment really!And this thread is of no value then.
Mass entertainment is not what you perceive it to be, but what is. The entertainment industry does not revolve around a select few customers.
You cannot enforce your likes and dislikes to every Tom, Dick and Harry and ask them to tune their tastes to meet yours!

"I fail to understand the world's bias for football over other games/sports."
.....The right and corrected sentence.
Who is biased against football? I am against the puppet concept of "Football is the only game around. It is to be worshiped and idolized. Every other sport is only followed by fools. Spend 50m pounds on Zidane, 30-40m on Figo, Ronaldo, Vieri, and Ferdinand, and that is strategic investment worth admiration. Spend some 700,000 pounds on Dhoni and that is utter waste of funds".

Last edited:
Mr. hari09omkar ,

thanks for the 200 points you gave me....

You are entirely missing our point....come out of football and look at the bigger picture. you cant say that footballers earning millions is justified and cricketers are not.....

what is entertainment is each's own view...you enjoy football we enjoy cricket...you pay to see beckam..we pay to see sachin....you cant force us to see beckam saying that he deserves more.....

U

uasish

There is always a Kolkattan & Chennaiite mad in Sports,football vs cricket is a hot topic in Kolkatta's Adda.Enjoying every bit of this.

H

hari09omkar

....you cant force us to see beckam saying that he deserves more.....
Who deserves more is decided by his entertainment value and that's evident Sachin is a stranger in may be 80% to the world!More deserving??? Whuuuu!

H

hari09omkar

Fantasy indeed! Have you ever gone to a government school and checked the quality of education they provide? Also, can you please quote the number of IIT/IIM students who make it from studying in a govt school?
Do u know the difference between a Govt.School and a Govt.-undertaken School.The most schools in our state(and likely to the country) is Govt.-undertaken.
In a weak state like West Bengal,the best schools,which are making it to the top are mostly Govt. and highly subsidised RamkrishnaMission Schools....Hindu School,Bankura Zilla Schoo,Narendrapur R.K.Mission,Purulia R.K.Mission......
I'm not talking of a professional level here but the learning curve expenditure, which is very affordable in games like chess, thus assisting the poor to learn and master the amateur level of the game....which was your original point supporting football, wasn't it?
Learning curve is far more costlier in chess than in football....ask the novices .....U r failure again to understand this!:rolleyes:No wonder!

Mass entertainment is not what you perceive it to be, but what is. The entertainment industry does not revolve around a select few customers.
You cannot enforce your likes and dislikes to every Tom, Dick and Harry and ask them to tune their tastes to meet yours!
Mass entertainment is not what u percieve it to be neither!

Cricket,which had been the undisputed king of sports in India all these years,has taken a back seat,specially during the ongoing FIFA matches. So much so,that as Siddhartha Mukherjee,director communications,TAM Media Research,Mumbai reveals,"In the metros,the viewership for soccer is three times more than cricket right now."

What's led cricket to take such a beating? Is it to do with the recent controversies,high pressure and expectations and even the cricket board playing with the morale and confidence of the players?

While former cricketer Kapil Dev thinks it's the media that's been giving a lot of attention to football that has generated so much of interest in the game,his contemporary Madan Lal too feels that "since football is big across the world these days,people in our country too have become equally interested. And this is a good sign --people becoming interested in other games too."

What had hitherto affected the interest in other sports,he feels,was "something lacking in the vision of their control boards. They need to work towards creating facilities and infrastructure so that youngsters are inspired enough to take up these sports seriously."

Adman Dilip Cherian's view on why football is seeing a tremendous popularity surge is because,"India is not part of FIFA. If it was,it would have been out in the initial rounds --that's when the blame game would have started. And the entire focus would have been on that."

The second reason,according to him,is the huge viewership among women "who find it visually appealing with all its sweat and action. And the fact that it's just 90 minutes and throws up instantaneous results." Cricket,he feels,is losing out because "of the politics. People are losing their faith in the entire selection process and the game too. They realise that it's not just the game but also which camp you're in."
- 4 Jul 2006, 2008 hrs IST,PURNIMA LAMCHANE,TNN
Courtsey:timesofindia(the link can't be pasted because it is showing the link in asterics,after trying to post)

If India earns one or two gold medals in any olympics,I wouldn't say anything against this 'irrational exuberance'......but a country failure in world sports,is a tiger in a sports of 5 day is taking the face away from the reality.Have some practicality! We are among the worse in sports!

Who is biased against football? I am against the puppet concept of "Football is the only game around. It is to be worshiped and idolized.
Ur previous failure,among many,to understand,was my bias for football! I referred Swami Vivekananda to have a vision on that.What u or I or anybody r against or not isn't the question,the question is of spiritual dignity and physical strength and vision, and Swamiji is a great treat to this and his vision isn't a wasted one till date.So please consider to read that Monk,to have ur answer,which is beyond the scope of this forum.

oxusmorouz

Do u know the difference between a Govt.School and a Govt.-undertaken School.The most schools in our state(and likely to the country) is Govt.-undertaken.
In a weak state like West Bengal,the best schools,which are making it to the top are mostly Govt. and highly subsidised RamkrishnaMission Schools....Hindu School,Bankura Zilla Schoo,Narendrapur R.K.Mission,Purulia R.K.Mission......
Contrary here in Chennai, where the cream comes from pvt schools, which have absolutely no kind of association with the Govt, with the exception of 1 KV. Ever wondered why Chennai has the highest pass % and the highest overall % in CBSE board almost everytime, flat? :eek:

Learning curve is far more costlier in chess than in football....ask the novices .....U r failure again to understand this!No wonder!
Perhaps you would be kind enough to detail the cost of an amateur chess game :rolleyes:

Mass entertainment is not what u percieve it to be neither!
I've already given the answer to this in my previous post. Circular reasoning is going to end us no where . Subjective generalizations are something I cannot help with.

BTW, whose perception is this? :rolleyes:

The people who are not starving and have roti kapra makan,why they are interested in this? The time-consuming,selfish people's game.....it goes on and on and on.....for 5 days!!! It's not entertainment,it is soaking our country's youth! Soccer is entertainment.Japan banned cricket rightly.And our country?
Rolling the ball again eh?

If India earns one or two gold medals in any olympics,I wouldn't say anything against this 'irrational exuberance'......but a country failure in world sports,is a tiger in a sports of 5 day is taking the face away from the reality.Have some practicality! We are among the worse in sports!
Oh dear, here we go again. Who is denying this? As I have mentioned already in two of the previous posts, this has to come down to the bottom of the pyramid, where it is the duty of the school to promote various sports. It's almost impossible to start off training for a sport after the age of 10 and make it to the big level.

Ur previous failure,among many,to understand,was my bias for football! I referred Swami Vivekananda to have a vision on that.What u or I or anybody r against or not isn't the question,the question is of spiritual dignity and physical strength and vision, and Swamiji is a great treat to this and his vision isn't a wasted one till date.So please consider to read that Monk,to have ur answer,which is beyond the scope of this forum.
Another propaganda? I better not comment on this. You may take it as either I being incompetent to do so and/or my lack of interest in creating religion based trouble.
Oh and yes, we have seen people go closer to heavens in several fan fights before/during/after football matches haven't we? :eek: (Very recently, 3 Man Utd fans were stabbed to death in Rome, when playing AS Roma)

Beauty lies in the eye of the beholder. One mans food is another mans poison. Is it crime to have difference in opinion? Is it important to convice each other ?

H

hari09omkar

Perhaps you would be kind enough to detail the cost of an amateur chess game :rolleyes:
Ofcourse I can show the detail,because chess being my favourite game(indoor) I tried to make it a friend of mine.But why should I? U guys are commenting on such things which u don't know a bit,and then one is laughing on points where it is to be mourned and other asking for details.That too with rolling eyes! Awesome!
BTW, whose perception is this? :rolleyes:
Another propaganda? I better not comment on this. You may take it as either I being incompetent to do so and/or my lack of interest in creating religion based trouble.
U r mistaken philosophy and religion to be of some link.Have some reading on what is written first.I haven't talked of a religious person but of a person to whom our country's youth is directed by our secular govt., by announcing his birthday to be celbrated the youth day of this nation.
I quoted twice the one of the most powerful entertainer of this world ever,the person who won Noble and Oscar(the sole person to achieve this till date):
"The English are not very spiritual people, so they invented cricket to give them some idea of eternity."
-G.B.Shaw

"Cricket is a game played by 22 fools and watched by 22,000 fools"
-G.B.Shaw

I gave complete synopsis of my view of how it relates to poors,as u asked the question,by this:
U still have doubts?
A game which needs a ground and which is to be worked on specially to build a part where it will be played,i.e. pitch,22 bats(pretty expensive willows),Two balls(more actually),22 helmets,God knows how many guards(arm guard,chest guard,abdominal guard,thigh guard or pad,guard on that part....continued?),24 pairs of gloves and 24 pairs of pads(one extra pair of pads and gloves each for the wicket keepers as the glove and pad for wicket keeping is different from the ones to bat!!!),is meant for the well-to-do families' children,not for the poors.
But a game which requires a sizeable ground,2 pairs of gloves and a ball,is definitely meant for the poors.It is evident that the most footballers in the best clubs in our country including Kolkta trios:East Bengal,MohunBagan and Mohammedan sporting,come from poor and lower middle class families.Not only here,the one u mentioned,Brazil,being a poor country,being the victim of the big guys,have pronounced an unseen war so far against this world ...not to be supressed by poverty.Football requiring so much little accessories,easily attract the not-so-well hard working children.They dream on this sport.They made this game a survival and celebrating event...Their essence is not their poverty.No.Their essence is their entertainment value.They told the world - look we are so poor,but we will make this world look at our feet for the most popular sports in the universe....we will sell us.Buy me at my price,I will give u entertainment of what u want,at ur terms....I will dribble to the extent of beauty of the work of gods in the heavens.....They conquired the world.A third class player in Brazil's third class club will earn handsomely in a country like India,where football ranking is three figure in the world(we are ranked at 143 by December news)!But even a first grade player like Tendulkar from India will have to search for a people who knows his name in Brazil,forget of paying him.Not only Brazil,the poorer coutries,like the ones in the Africa,(Nigeria,Kenya et all),can dream of making an income more than an MBA,by just being on the list of the worldcuppers,even if he wasn't selected for the final eleven.Remember Chima Okeri? He wasn't even a worldcupper! I want my country to rise on the shoulders of the poor Indians,for whom Roti-Kapra-Makan matters,who can arrange atleast a tin pouch to play and dream,like Diego did.....like Pele did.Like Zedan did.
And the term of Swamiji(not originally) fit for the people mad for the game of cricket is 'kupamanduka'.And now the great knowledgeable(!!!) member will comment on Vivekananda,like his irrelevant and false comment on George Barnard Shaw???

Quote:
"You will be nearer to Heaven through football than through a study of the Gita"

- Swami Vivekanada.
P.K.Banerji once told beautifully how Swamiji was ecstatic of the game because of it's nature of the concentration of the players of one single target - goal.The Monk was a visionary to India's rise....
Let me brief:A festival brings money for the poors and the Nation.A huge public gathering,like the kumbh mela,like huge spiritual Satsangs of our beloved Saints help in having an income for the people who are am-admi,even for them who are not-so-spiritual.A game which is global in nature and played in 90 minutes generally and can be played in more numbers in less time will attract global audience,thus enriching the hotel industry,the transport industry,the food industry.....Because of it's high entertainment value,it will be an income generator than any of the entertainment industry,including the Bollywood and Tollywood.
(post no.18)
and in the reply u asked pointlessly to promote chess to the africans which is not only far low in entertainment value and high on cost value,then saying erroneously chess is economical to football,with no connection to the subject of discussion,then asking me the cost;avoiding the facts that nonetheless our country in 143rd position in the world football,football took cricket in the backseat in recent past;relating football with subdised education completely falsely;avoiding G.B.Shaw's historical remarks,avoiding Swamiji's visionary statement to arise our youth and seeing a propaganda in this;Rolling the ball again n again urself and faking that to me; - all are becoming a waste of time and energy. To conclude this discussion,I have already given answers to ur haranguing statements,no point in continuing it further.

Ur incompetence and failures in this debate is horrible and full of of shortsightedness,a live example of that is after the quotation from timesofindia.(......)....,I wrote the name of the Reporter with date and time(who was not giving her perception as a subjective view,but reporting a fact of objectivity of viewer's choice reports,which were facts n figures-based)and again u r asking 'whose perception is this?':eek:

Till a competent gentleman arrives who don't laugh on his losing points too,Ram Ram.

Last edited by a moderator: