Thoughts on Day/Swing Trading Part 2

Gaur_Krishna

This is perfect analysis ST da! :thumb:

For 6600 CE premium was 155 and intrinsic was 71 so time value was 155-71=84. And for 6600 PE was just OTM with only the time value of 86, which is near to 84.

So whole thing makes sense that options are valued based on futures and not Spot.

Thanks Sodhi for a good observation as well .....:thumb:

Thanks & Regards,
Gaur_Krishna

Respected Smart Trade, Whenever you have free time kindly make me understand the following thing

On 26th mar 2014

nifty spot closing value was around 6601

But April call rate of 6600 strike is rs.155

And april put rate of 6600 strike is rs.86

why there is so much difference between the call and put rate of the same strike price and the underlying price is at the exactly strike price.
That is because the option premiums are based on Nifty Futures prices and not spot price. Nifty April Future was quoting at 6671 when spot was at 6601 and hence the 6600 call had 71 points of intrinsic value in it. Hence the difference between 6600 calls and puts premiums( 6600 put had zero intrinsic value in it )

Smart_trade

Gaur_Krishna

Signs of Strong Trend Day

Signs of Strong Trend Day :thumb:

Today is such day as described by ST da here....
Repeating post if some newcomers might have missed this .....
Thanks MT & NR for pointing this nice post ....

Regards,
Gaur_Krishna

Yesterday was a day which had all classic signs of a strong trend day.These characteristics are as under :

1) The market starts on a strong note and immediately goes on building on its strong opening and trades higher.

2) Market does not offer any meaningful correction. The corrections are in the form of shallow sideways movements after a strong breakout bars.

3) The market has a few strong wide range bars in the direction of the trend.

4) Market after opening does not dip much and hence it opens at the low of the day and closes at the high of the day.

5) Indicators/Oscillators remain in over bought/oversold region for extended period of time and the market instead of reversing continues in the direction of the trend.

6) Market entices the contra traders to take contra positions and then goes on taking out their stops thereby adding fuel to the fire.

7) The market does not give too many chances for traders ( who don't have positions and keep waiting for getting in ) to get in at advantages position.

These days are pleasure to trade as they do not give any threat if the traders enter in the direction of the trend.

Smart_trade

Can Swift Method be traded on 5TF ST Sir?
Yes consider Swift as a template,you can have your own timeframe, even a different MA...nothing fixed...change as per your liking and comfort...but do a backtest with new parameters...

Smart_trade

Risk Control by Max loss/ day or per week

Risk control is extremely important for we traders. I have received a pm from a trader and after taking his permission to post in my thread and my answer is posted below as many will be facing the same problems and will find it useful....names are deleted for confidentiality.

His pm :

Hi ST dada ,
i am day trader , cum jobber(scalper)since 2010 . i have good track record , i am full time trader , work with prop. desk . earn some money every month also .but problem is that no growth cause of my emotion. i cant stop when i am in loss .

for example :- i set my loss limit per day is 5k , max to max. whenever my loss limit cross , i want to stop my trading . but i cant .
this is my problem , i try many times and many ways to stop myself whenever my loss limit cross, but every time i fail .
now condition is that my earning is around 1 lakh per month in that company share is 40 % and remaining is mine it 60k .
my loss days are few in month its around 4-6 avrage per month , but these 4-6 days my loss is around 60-80k avrage ,many times it cross 1 lakh also .
it means my loss every month 60-80k which is big , i think , if i minimise it to 10-20k then my profit will be double every month ,but cant .
dada , i understand everything but cant implement it to practicle .please
dada , i try to improve myself but not improvement to minimise my loss , i know if i control my loss 5-10k per day then i am successful . but last 4 yr these struggle continue , cant stop myself .

dada , you are senior then please advice me , i hope you will guide me properly . please dada

thank you .

My Reply to his PM

Hello *******,

This is a usual problem when trade entry and riskcontrol both functions rests with a trader. In many hedgefunds abroad these functions are distinctly separate and a trader once has set the stoploss cannot alter it....the trade risk control is then taken over by a different department.

You must have strict stoploss and set predefined limits on daily/weekly and monthly losses else trading will always be three steps forward and three ( possibly four ) steps backwards and you will never make progress. So set the loss limit to 5 K ,10 K or 15 K whatever and once that is achieved, close all positions and shut your trading terminal off for rest of the day...it is absolutely essential for capital building that losses are controlled very strictly.After closing the terminal in many hedgefunds the traders are given lowly jobs of serving tea,coffee to other traders,picking up the empty cups/glasses, finishing pending admin work for rest of the day/week etc...so that all try not to get into that situation.Independent traders can shut the terminals and go out for outing /lunch with family, go for movie....but if that is not possible in a job...stop trading for that day.

So be ruthless with limits of max loss once set.

All the very best for your success...

Smart_trade

Risk Control by Max loss/ day or per week

Risk control is extremely important for we traders. I have received a pm from a trader and after taking his permission to post in my thread and my answer is posted below as many will be facing the same problems and will find it useful....names are deleted for confidentiality.

His pm :

Hi ST dada ,
i am day trader , cum jobber(scalper)since 2010 . i have good track record , i am full time trader , work with prop. desk . earn some money every month also .but problem is that no growth cause of my emotion. i cant stop when i am in loss .

for example :- i set my loss limit per day is 5k , max to max. whenever my loss limit cross , i want to stop my trading . but i cant .
this is my problem , i try many times and many ways to stop myself whenever my loss limit cross, but every time i fail .
now condition is that my earning is around 1 lakh per month in that company share is 40 % and remaining is mine it 60k .
my loss days are few in month its around 4-6 avrage per month , but these 4-6 days my loss is around 60-80k avrage ,many times it cross 1 lakh also .
it means my loss every month 60-80k which is big , i think , if i minimise it to 10-20k then my profit will be double every month ,but cant .
dada , i understand everything but cant implement it to practicle .please
dada , i try to improve myself but not improvement to minimise my loss , i know if i control my loss 5-10k per day then i am successful . but last 4 yr these struggle continue , cant stop myself .

dada , you are senior then please advice me , i hope you will guide me properly . please dada

thank you .

My Reply to his PM

Hello *******,

This is a usual problem when trade entry and riskcontrol both functions rests with a trader. In many hedgefunds abroad these functions are distinctly separate and a trader once has set the stoploss cannot alter it....the trade risk control is then taken over by a different department.

You must have strict stoploss and set predefined limits on daily/weekly and monthly losses else trading will always be three steps forward and three ( possibly four ) steps backwards and you will never make progress. So set the loss limit to 5 K ,10 K or 15 K whatever and once that is achieved, close all positions and shut your trading terminal off for rest of the day...it is absolutely essential for capital building that losses are controlled very strictly.After closing the terminal in many hedgefunds the traders are given lowly jobs of serving tea,coffee to other traders,picking up the empty cups/glasses, finishing pending admin work for rest of the day/week etc...so that all try not to get into that situation.Independent traders can shut the terminals and go out for outing /lunch with family, go for movie....but if that is not possible in a job...stop trading for that day.

So be ruthless with limits of max loss once set.

All the very best for your success...

Smart_trade
Great reply ST bro...thanks..... to bring it out here......because same problem I also faced....in 2006.....A senior Trader help me in same way....:clapping:

dear ST,
just need your opinion on this ..... using self-hypnotism can we learn to control greed and fear.
Self hypnotism never tried but I found self suggestion , Pranayaam, Meditation definately helps...

Keep greed and fear out....do trading as if you are doing a paid job and profit/loss is not your problem...it is your owner's headache...your job is to take trades on your systems, practice risk control...and if you fail, you will be fired...profit/loss not your responsibility....that is all....

Difficult to practice...karmayog hai...

ST