some common PC problems and solutions

the operating system I am currently using

• linux (e.g ubuntu,fedora,corel,redhat, etc.)

Votes: 8 9.0%
  • win8

Votes: 16 18.0%
  • win7

Votes: 44 49.4%
  • vista

Votes: 5 5.6%
  • winxp

Votes: 28 31.5%
  • Apple Mac OS

Votes: 2 2.2%
  • android mobile

Votes: 6 6.7%
  • windows mobile

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • apple ios mobile

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • I don't know much about this ! :-)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Windows XP home users should upgrade to Linux -- not Windows 8.1

The Windows XP death clock is ticking away. While Microsoft has extended support for malware protection, do not be fooled -- XP will be officially unsupported on April 8. If Microsoft has its druthers, these XP users will upgrade to Windows 8 and maybe even buy a new computer.

However, there is a problem with this -- the Windows 8 UI is radically different from XP and people do not like change (especially people clinging to an operating system from 2001). Also, they may not need to buy a new computer, because their existing is probably fast enough... for Linux!

Yes, Linux is far less intensive than the arguably bloated Windows. And so, if a user wants a supported operating system that should work well on their existing, but aging hardware, a Linux-based OS may be the best choice. The problem is, what distribution should a user choose? What software is available? No worries, I'm here to help.

Introduction

First things first, what exactly is Linux? Well, technically Linux is a kernel -- not an operating system, but an aspect of one. However, there are operating systems, called distributions, that utilize that kernel. It was invented by a man named Linus Torvalds in 1991. Yes, Linux is hardly new -- it has a long history and a large user and developer base.

It is used in many things such as web servers and even Android phones. Believe it or not, if you own an Android phone, you are already a Linux user and probably didn't even know it -- nice job! Don't confuse this to mean that Linux distributions will run Android apps, they are not exactly compatible.

Read on here: http://betanews.com/2014/01/30/windows-xp-home-users-should-upgrade-to-linux-not-windows-8-1/ and read the conclusion on the site :)

Einstein

the main issue is compatibility of trading softwares on unix, there are emulators but god knows if they will work or not when the ticker goes against you(traders). what if your trading program crash at that time??

TracerBullet

the main issue is compatibility of trading softwares on unix, there are emulators but god knows if they will work or not when the ticker goes against you(traders). what if your trading program crash at that time??
Sadly no option but to use VM ( i use XP currently with Arch Linux ).
NEST etc dont run on WINE. ( btw WINE is not an emulator - this is also its full name :) )
Z5 seems to run ok as its HTML5 based but then you will need something else for charting (ex icharts web)

comm4300

Iam a linux Puppy fan.

Installing and running pup is a breeze. the only problem i have is the trading software - NOW or ZT !

Zerodha earlier had a linux version..but they have discontinued it..!

I have to depend on Bindows for my trading needs....else everything else can be managed (better managed) in linux.

TradeJoker

I have a 2008 model lap with Phoneix bios,my winxp need to reinstall, the DVD drive is damaged, there is option of usb boot in the bios but when i boot using an external usb DVD drive it does'nt boot from installation disk ,not even seeking the dvd,directly goes to old windows, pls help

tried with pendrive boot,but system refuse to boot from any usb drvice, all usb ports r working.
Try or work through the following links:

http://www.tweaking.com/content/page/windows_repair_all_in_one.html

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/products/features/startup-repair

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=7558

May one of the tools can help you to solve your problem. In the past I used all of those tools at different stages and all have been useful in one or the other way. Check them, good luck and see you around.

a1b1trader

I shall be thankful if some one please provide me a solution for this.

I have a folder containing say 500 files in .txt or .csv
And from this folder, I want to separate/select say 125-150 files and want to keep in a separate folder

Let me explain, in more detail

The files are named as
1, 2, 3...10, 11...50, 51...100, 102...223, 223, 225...498, 499, 500

And I want to select say
5, 8, 15, 17, 56, 68, 121, and so on (Total in number say 125)

Is there a way out to do this work

Thanks