Scanning Stocks

murthymsr

WE all have diverted from the real topic of scanning stocks.Since its time consuming to analyse each and every stock, so we scan and filter the list to sort out best long and short candidate.After soring we the look for trade setups on them.

Some,scan and filter stocks on the basis of overbought oversold conditions in indicators like RSI, MACD ,ROC etc.....some scan stocks on the basis of breakout & close above a specific moving average like 5EMA 13 EMA etc.

After sorting out the stocks, some will look for trade-setups like FLAG, traingle etc some may look for trade setups based on pitchfork and some may look for fib levels trade setups.

SO,
How and on what is ur way of sorting and filtering stocks??

Which is your favourite trade set up???
My fav trade setup is a FLAG Breakout.When ever i see a flag breakout bullish or bearish , I enter the stock with a traget = hieght of the pole and stop loss being the low of the breakout bar:)

Hope my query is clear.
Trade setups

&

Sacning stocks to find out those trade setups.

I have attached the file of TATA MOTORS.
I scanned this stock on the basis of close above 5EMA.

Till, 9th march the stock was below 5EMA, on 10th march it closed above 5EMA.

I started monitoring this stock,and as soon as I got the first correction on 13th march,I drew a pitchfork:) and waited for a bullish breakout.

On 16th , the stock closed above the pitchfork and so in the last 30 min I went long in it:)

On 17th I placed an exit order around 938(since 941 was the earlier top and wanted to book rather than waiting)

My trade got exited on 17th at 938 long of 918:)

20 points off.

Risk was 13 points

Reward 20 points( This reward is the after book reward so dont confuse with 1:3 risk reward.When I considered the trade , it was indeed 1:3:) but I booked weak hands...)

Attachments

Last edited:
hi trader 31339,

I agree with you it is imp and nice to see how different people scan their stock. I had raised a similar thread but unfortunately got no reply. I think discussing this will open a new window for everyone and for some change the way they look at the market. Since I am very new to TA i wont be able to give in any inputs but seeing this thread going forward will be a pleasure.

Rgds
Rahul

rangarajan

Dear 31339,
Very useful thread.If possible,post yr picks periodically for the benifit of others.After all,market is ocean.
Yr thread could also be posted seperately for easy identification.
Best wishes,
ranga

dear aca trader.....i take note of ur comments"Hence, members are requested to ask for sharing of knowledge from other members instead of from "senior members".i appreciate ur feelings...i will take care in future

Hi,
Go to nse-india.com and click the equity/market today and Bhavcopy of the day for EOD. you can either download in csv format or dbf format. Open the csv file in excel and arrange in the column in such a way SYMBOL, DATE, OPEN, HIGH, LOW, CLOSE, VOLUME. then convert it into metastock format. Regarding the stock scan the ultimate criteria used by many expert is price band, volume for liquidity and user criteria. No indicator is perfect and complex formula will increase your workload. make it flexible and use simple criteria. You should avoid using the % gain for the scanning rather it can be used for monitoring that particular stock for a pull down
Hope this will help.
Regards,
Sundar

rangarajan said:
Dear 31339,
Very useful thread.If possible,post yr picks periodically for the benifit of others.After all,market is ocean.
Yr thread could also be posted seperately for easy identification.
Best wishes,
ranga
Mr Rangarajan,
Just watch IPCL alongwith sesagoa, good momentum to come in them.
with regrads,

Greetings,

here's another idea; you could scan "nnn" stocks based on some quantifiable indicators to produce a group of smaller stocks for in-depth analysis.

I guess the question is what indicators?

You could try trend indicators based on Welles Wilder's Directional Movement analysis. This concept identifies stocks entering up or down trends. So, if you have a list of these, then they would be good trade candidates to begin with.

The website http://www.dmtrend.com performs this initial scan for the nasdaq100, sp500, dow30 and two select screens. The scans are done on a nightly basis and results are freely accessible.