Request comments & advise on my MF SIP Portfolio

Dear all,

My Monthy SIP porfolio is a described below. Would request your comments and advise.

HDFC TOP200 Rs.5500.00
HDFC Prudence Rs.3000.00
Reliance gold savings fund Rs.6000.00
Reliance Banking fund Rs.2000.00
Reliance Equity Opp: Fund Rs.2000.00
Reliance Div: Pwr: sec Fund Rs.2000.00
HDFC Equity Fund Rs.4000.00
Gold ETF 2 Units.

Regards

Dear CT friend,

There is no need to be confused about :) Coming to your portfolio, some comments below. These are just indicative/suggestive comments and I would definitely encourage you to kindly to take an informed decision prior to acting on the same.

1) HDFC Top 200 and HDFC Prudence have almost identical portfolios and investment styles. Hence, having both of them is like putting into one fund. You may want to review this and take a judgement call on the same.

2) Reliance Gold Savings fund is unrated.

3) Reliance Banking fund is a Thematic fund and is also unrated. Thematic funds can give some fantastic returns, but come with inherent risks. There is pressure on banking sector as seen from recent announcements and articles from experts.

4) Reliance Power sector is another thematic fund and is also unrated.

In general, I feel there is a skew towards couple of fund houses and thematic funds. Personally, unless I am not sure that an investment into a thematic fund is justified, I stay clear of the same. I think you may want to review your portfolio as per your goals. If you provide more details regarding your age, lifestyle needs and goals in life, one may provide you more accurate feedback.

Happy Investing !!

I personally don't like gold funds as they carry double expense charges, 1 of exit load and other fund charges which are too high as cost of carrying certain % of real gold in fund portfolio increases expenses. Reliance gold saving carries 2% exit load and 5% expense charges. You lose 7% as you put money in sip everytime, if your view is short term or 5% atleast in longer term. Better is stay with etfs. More better etfs are as they can be bought in small quantity at every big fall and in an sip you have to put a pre-determined price at certain date.

2ndly, your theme based funds choice is good only if you are a) bullish on sector and b) have a long term view. And banks or power won't betray you in long run but you have to have heart of stone to reap benefits. Think about person who must have bought sbi at 200 and icici in ipo at 500, now have multifolded returns thanks to dividends, bonuses and price rise. In compare NHPC, rel power or alikes are still below issue price. So key for both sector is long term. Powers cycle will change if not today, after 2 years or 10 years.. who knows.

Instead of HDFC 200/HDFC equity you can choose SBI magnum equity or dsp br 100 reason stated above by asterix with small correction, hdfc equity, 200 and prudence all have identical funds. So for balanced fund prudence or hdfc balance is good choice but large/multi cap go for some other fund viz dsp br 100 or uti dividend or i-pru bluechip or magnum equity.

Reliance oppor is a good choice but again it matches with HDFC equity so struck out HDFC equity, though funds shuffle portfolio often, both managers have same investment mentality. Finally a pinch of midcap/lifestyle/multinational funds will be beneficial in long run considering India growth story. HDFC mid cap, UTI MNC or Magnum global, kotak lifestyle or birla pure life may give good returns in long run. Any of the ways, a good mid cap fund is a must in portfolio to get higher returns in compare to large/multi/theme funds.

I personally don't like gold funds as they carry double expense charges, 1 of exit load and other fund charges which are too high as cost of carrying certain % of real gold in fund portfolio increases expenses. Reliance gold saving carries 2% exit load and 5% expense charges. You lose 7% as you put money in sip everytime, if your view is short term or 5% atleast in longer term. Better is stay with etfs. More better etfs are as they can be bought in small quantity at every big fall and in an sip you have to put a pre-determined price at certain date.

2ndly, your theme based funds choice is good only if you are a) bullish on sector and b) have a long term view. And banks or power won't betray you in long run but you have to have heart of stone to reap benefits. Think about person who must have bought sbi at 200 and icici in ipo at 500, now have multifolded returns thanks to dividends, bonuses and price rise. In compare NHPC, rel power or alikes are still below issue price. So key for both sector is long term. Powers cycle will change if not today, after 2 years or 10 years.. who knows.

Instead of HDFC 200/HDFC equity you can choose SBI magnum equity or dsp br 100 reason stated above by asterix with small correction, hdfc equity, 200 and prudence all have identical funds. So for balanced fund prudence or hdfc balance is good choice but large/multi cap go for some other fund viz dsp br 100 or uti dividend or i-pru bluechip or magnum equity.

Reliance oppor is a good choice but again it matches with HDFC equity so struck out HDFC equity, though funds shuffle portfolio often, both managers have same investment mentality. Finally a pinch of midcap/lifestyle/multinational funds will be beneficial in long run considering India growth story. HDFC mid cap, UTI MNC or Magnum global, kotak lifestyle or birla pure life may give good returns in long run. Any of the ways, a good mid cap fund is a must in portfolio to get higher returns in compare to large/multi/theme funds.
Thematic funds.
bank is one sector which mostly performs along with nifty/sensex. Bank may not go down like sectors like real estate unless sensex/nifty also down. So if someone undestands the risk of sector funds, then they can go for 10 % allocation to sector(banking) fund with long term view.... It wont dissappoint

Switching from HDFC Prudence to HDFC Mid-cap Opportunities fund is change of perspective. You are intending to from a Balanced/Large Cap oriented fund to a pure Mid and Small cap space. Do you really want to do this?

BTW, HDFC Mid-cap opportunities is a good fund and if you wish to take a position in Mid & Small cap space, you can definitely consider it.

Happy Investing !!

Switching from HDFC Prudence to HDFC Mid-cap Opportunities fund is change of perspective. You are intending to from a Balanced/Large Cap oriented fund to a pure Mid and Small cap space. Do you really want to do this?

BTW, HDFC Mid-cap opportunities is a good fund and if you wish to take a position in Mid & Small cap space, you can definitely consider it.

Happy Investing !!
Instead of switching, I started a new SIP in HDFC midcap opp fund:rofl:.
Whats your opinion on Axis equity fund?