[Paper Trade]My first trade and Analysis

Hi everyone,

I am new to the forums but have been going thru them for a while. I decided to get into trading in my final year at college but got around to doing it finaly last month. I went through the basics at TraderJi, websites and even a course by (see end of post).

So, before I register for a DMAT and trading account, I thought why not try something on paper first.

This is how i did it.

I choose 2 stocks to analyze and place a trade on my Notebook (NB). I choose the companies through www.moneycentral.com , chose 2 based on news.

ICICI Bank and Hero Honda.
(I really apologize for inaccurate terminology or jargon)

These were the factors I noted:

Date of Trade (On): 27/08/09
Entry : At what price I will buy the share(s).
Exit : A Limit, if it goes above this value, I will sell off the share(s) and keep the profit.
Stop Loss (SL): A Limit, if it goes below this value I will sell it off and have a small loss.

Hero Honda:

On 27/8: Closing Price (C):1470
Buy 10 for 1470/- Rs. (Invested: 10 x 1470 = 14,700 Rs)
E: 1470 ; X: 1600 ; SL: 1415

On 28/8: C: 1504

On 31/8: C: 1511

On 1/9: C: 1534

On 2/9: C: 1568.20 .. and so on (today 3/8 10:57am: 1570)

This is just an example, and that too taken on the word of an analyst from MoneyCentral News. I had even done some analysis on it using Saints method, and used some of my own head too.

As for ICICI bank, my personal analysis says it might come down to 695. (The information I have given is nowhere nearr professional advice, its not even an advice, dont take it as one!! Its just my analysis...)

Hope I have not broken any forum rules by posting personal analysis. I will keep everyone updated if Hero Honda breaks my exit of 1600. If it does, I can make a profit of 1300 minus 15%of 1300 (a flying guess at my supposed brokerage and taxation!)

A few resources I used:

Saints awesome guides: http://www.4 shared. com/file/35182569/f5252717/Saint.html (Delete the blank spaces). It was compiled by @gobatman2001.

Informed Traders (saw 7 videos, 60 more to go!!)
[ link: http://www.youtube.com/user/InformedTrades ]

Date: 03/08

Archies:

Interday: Bought 10 @103 (1030); Sold 10 @110 (1100): Gain: 70 (? Stupid thing to do, my first crappy trade)

Bought 100 @103.85 (10,385) Still holding this for now. Closed today (3/8) at 121.6.

vishalalluri

hey friend

i m also a learner have been going through all the gem threads by senior members

just had a doubt what made u enter archies was it any new based or u tracking this stock

:)

vishal

AW10

Hi everyone,

I am new to the forums but have been going thru them for a while. I decided to get into trading in my final year at college but got around to doing it finaly last month. I went through the basics at TraderJi, websites and even a course by (see end of post).

So, before I register for a DMAT and trading account, I thought why not try something on paper first.

This is how i did it.

I choose 2 stocks to analyze and place a trade on my Notebook (NB). I choose the companies through www.moneycentral.com , chose 2 based on news.

ICICI Bank and Hero Honda.
(I really apologize for inaccurate terminology or jargon)

These were the factors I noted:

Date of Trade (On): 27/08/09
Entry : At what price I will buy the share(s).
Exit : A Limit, if it goes above this value, I will sell off the share(s) and keep the profit.
Stop Loss (SL): A Limit, if it goes below this value I will sell it off and have a small loss.

Hero Honda:

On 27/8: Closing Price (C):1470
Buy 10 for 1470/- Rs. (Invested: 10 x 1470 = 14,700 Rs)
E: 1470 ; X: 1600 ; SL: 1415

On 28/8: C: 1504

On 31/8: C: 1511

On 1/9: C: 1534

On 2/9: C: 1568.20 .. and so on (today 3/8 10:57am: 1570)

This is just an example, and that too taken on the word of an analyst from MoneyCentral News. I had even done some analysis on it using Saints method, and used some of my own head too.

As for ICICI bank, my personal analysis says it might come down to 695. (The information I have given is nowhere nearr professional advice, its not even an advice, dont take it as one!! Its just my analysis...)

Hope I have not broken any forum rules by posting personal analysis. I will keep everyone updated if Hero Honda breaks my exit of 1600. If it does, I can make a profit of 1300 minus 15%of 1300 (a flying guess at my supposed brokerage and taxation!)

A few resources I used:

Saints awesome guides: http://www.4 shared. com/file/35182569/f5252717/Saint.html (Delete the blank spaces). It was compiled by @gobatman2001.

Informed Traders (saw 7 videos, 60 more to go!!)
[ link: http://www.youtube.com/user/InformedTrades ]
xheavenlyx, What a great way to start in trading. I wish I had done same when I started but learned it in hard and costly way later.

Perfect going .. keep it up. don't cut corner when planning your trade.. whether it is paper trade or real trade. (somehow i did not see same detailed planning for yr archies trade).
In yr plan, u shd always know entry/ stop/ target exit price before u click the order submit button.

Just a suggestion, do think about some kind of trailing stoploss mechanism as well. As your HeroHond trade went in your direction, u shd have trailied your stoploss every day to next higher level.. So even if target of 1600 is not hit, u don't loose remaining gain.

Keep it up.
Happy Trading

@vishal: I picked archies based on some news and a bit of analisis of its chart. I will explain below.

@AW10: Hey, thanks for all the suggestions, I have read a lot about SL and trailing SL, and I believe its one of the best ways to trade with discipline! The major problem I am facing for now is I do not get latest charts (I like candle and bar). The ones I am using are from moneycentral.com. I am looking forward to download getbhav and Fcharts.

As for archies I did not have an SL initially because I was doing interday with the 10 I had initially bought and sold, for the rest of the 100 I have kept my SL at 110. and its doing pretty bad today! :) (was down till 113 from 125) I should write it down so I remember it.

As for my exit, again another bad mistake. I am taking the word of an analyst and thinking "ok if he is saying it might touch 140 in a few weeks...I can keep an eye on the stock and decide the Exit live." However, I must place an exit. (See end of post)

Now another point is that, I dont know if Archies is gonna go up after todays drop. It may or may not... this is something I need to learn, but for today its rallying around 113.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
(All trades are in NSE)

Since I do not have a good charting for now:

Archies:

For today (1:51pm): SL: 110.00 ; Exit: 120 (overall...have to wait a for some days)

It could change depending on the days working.

Hero Honda:

Todays Open: 1550
Exit: 1600
Todays SL: 1500 (This SL is a plain guess...I need to do some more math to finalize this, which I am gonna do after I log off)

The biggest hurdle, I guess, in Trading is getting over our emotional, I should have, would have, could have! Gotta stick to the plan! :)

vishalalluri

hi heavenlyx

i guessed so :) it wud be news based movement

news based movements are though very risky what i feel . sometimes a company is in news but actually the price of tht scrip reacts oppositely to the news and the news on the stock shows affect from the next day in the up movement .

i use www.rupeeking.com ,icharts.in.yahoofinance.googlefinance for charts

hi aw10

i have been going through tradeji like maniac . i have surfed so much tht i m confused for now:annoyed:

i tried amibroker but after doing intensive reading of how to upload also i am not able to to so ..one last thing u could help me in is pls help me wid uploading for now i have amibroker installed and get bhav copy by hemenkapadia

i dun kno how to put them in amibroker
tried lots of time
cud u help me wid sum startin stepss plzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

if i read the posts again i kno results gona be the same i need ur guidance for now if u r using or tell me any other software for charting in whch u r perfectly perfect in installation :)

plz do this favour hope this would benefit heavenlyx also:clap:

thnks in advancee

AW10

Vishal, sorry dear. you are asking wrong person for help on amibroker software.
I use Metastock and have datafeed that directly saves the file in Metastock format.. so did need to do any installation setup.
But, please visit the software/ amibroker related threads on TJ. You will find solution/tips from many users there. Else please post your query there and I am sure someone will be able to help u out.

Otherwise, why don't u ask person/supprt team of data provider or amibroker from whom u bought the product ?

Happy Trading

vishalalluri

ii am using the trial version of amibroker :) i dun thin i m so matured in the markets to purchase amibroker
i think i will have to again get into software section of tjy my best this time:annoyed: and tr i kno their are lots of helping hands ther solving queries but when i start doing the updateion i m not able to :mad:
thnkss for ur reply

Vishal, sorry dear. you are asking wrong person for help on amibroker software.
I use Metastock and have datafeed that directly saves the file in Metastock format.. so did need to do any installation setup.
But, please visit the software/ amibroker related threads on TJ. You will find solution/tips from many users there. Else please post your query there and I am sure someone will be able to help u out.

Otherwise, why don't u ask person/supprt team of data provider or amibroker from whom u bought the product ?

Happy Trading

Installed Fcharts. Its an ok software, have the free one. Taking feeds from yahoofinance, have to download em everyday, I think to get real-time interday charts we need metastock and a live feed (from where?)

@tvrssvk, ofcourse you can try paper trading, its recommended! You can start a new thread for all your trades :)

Anyway here are the updates for today (4/9/09 08:42 pm):

HeroHonda:

It crossed Exit point of 1600 points.

The 10 stocks I had sold before: Made profit of 788. (Its actually 778 plus 10 of 20th CenFinance?).

Archies today is @112.9.
Exit@ 120 and SL@110.

Bought new today SUZLON (again based on news...):

Buy 100
[email protected] (or depends on tomorrow open price) ; Exit@108 ; SL@: 95

Here is my attached picture of the analysis: