NSEIndia Data Downloader

murthymsr

Thanks Preston for this wonderful utility, which may need some minor improvements.

I could successfully download Cash segment Bhav copies from NSE from 01-01-2006 in TXT format. The data was imported into Amibroker. On data Purity check within Amibroker,I found a few hundred errors, ALL relating to date. The erroneous dates ranged from 11-04-1901 to 30-09-2005 and 25-12-2008 to 18-09-2155. I deleted the Amibroker database.

Subsequently, I repeated the download with the CSV option. I could successfully download the same and imported the data into Amibroker as before. On data Purity check within Amibroker,I did NOT find any errors as earlier.

The TXT option showed data including century for the date and in the CSV format the century was not shown.

You may look into the date handling in the TXT mode vis-a-vis the CSV mode and advice us.

I have one doubt. When the from and to dates are different, is there a necessity to ask for checking the check box. I missed checking the box a few times and was puzzled what was happening!

In view of the date errors, I have downloaded quite a few number of times and it ran very stably every time.

Thanks once again.

murthymsr

Last edited:
Thanks Murthy,
That was a very good analysis of the problem you found. It will help me zero in on the problem code and correct it. Thanks also for your compliments!!. I am currently out of the country on work but I will look into it as soon as I get some leave. I know about the indice problem reported in an earlier post I got that corrected but have not yet posted the updated version. Yes you need to check the 'Download for period' checkbox.
Regards,
Preston

murthymsr

Thanks Murthy,
Yes you need to check the 'Download for period' checkbox.
Regards,
Preston
hi Preston,

I accept that at present, we need to check the box for a range of dates.

But, as an improvement, when the two dates are different, you may code in such a way as to start downloading with the from date and to increment the date and continue to download till you reach the 'To' date. The check box may be avoided altogether by modifying the code, in my opinion.

Thanks for your prompt response.
murthymsr

Hello Friends,
I have worked on the program and tried to incorporate all suggestions and correct all errors... Please download it and try it if any problems are encountered please let me know.
I found that the NSEIndia.com website did not change the URL but they changed some other parameters therefore I have not included an editable URL for downloads as I promised.
I have added a new autoupdate feature to automatically download EOD and update Amibroker along with Indice update for the day. To use this feature make sure Amibroker is running before starting up NSEBhavCopy downloader. If you start up the downloaded before starting Amibroker you will have to close Amibroker then close the downloader go to the Task Manager and select Broker.exe from the List of processes and click 'End Process'. I have also added some other improvments like the 'From' date automatically changing to one day in advance of the last date Amibroker was updated when you start up the downloader. Please let me know if any problems/bugs appear also any suggestions for improvment are welcome.
Regards,
Preston

Last edited:
Hello,
I have been working on the program... done some major internal modifications to the code... I have been adding all kinds of minor improvments and the code began to become unmagagable, so I got down to streamlining it and cleanup unused code etc, I will be uploading the new program as soon as I have debugged it.
Regards,
Preston.

murthymsr

Hello,
I have been working on the program... done some major internal modifications to the code... I have been adding all kinds of minor improvments and the code began to become unmagagable, so I got down to streamlining it and cleanup unused code etc, I will be uploading the new program as soon as I have debugged it.
Regards,
Preston.
Dear Preston Meyers,

Thanks for the very useful program and for the updates and for the support.

I have a few requests / observations based on your update dated 12-Nov-2008, which you may please look into.

1) The series option: The set of stocks of series EQ & BE together are unique and no confusion occurs. Adding any other series will create duplicates and the AmiBroker fails to perform as desired. From time to time, stocks under EQ series may be moved to BE series and vice versa by NSE. So, having EQ alone also does not serve the purpose. Nobody will be interested in any other series alone. So, we are left with only one option i.e., EQ&BE. All other options may be removed. In that case, the series option itself becomes redundant. Then, the option 'EQ Bhav' may be renamed as 'EQ&BEBhav' and the series option done away with.

2) Now files are saved into the same folder as the program. This may create confusion and accidental deletion of some of the program files. You may provide an option to save files of different categories like EQ&BE and FnO into different folders through options.

Now files are saved to names as at source. They may be saved to a filename like YYYYMMDD, so that in windows explorer, we may view, sort and identify the ranges of dates downloaded and missing dates.

3) The updated zip file may contain only the exe file, so that when a program update is done by user, he does not lose the earlier settings unless the update covers those other files also.

4) Presently, the program title shows 04-Mar-2008, may be date of original version. It may match with the date of the latest update and the date in the name of the downloaded zip file.

5) For date format selection, presently, a text box is used. You may provide a combo box with available options, so that by a typographical error by user, he does not land up with meaningless data in the date column.

6) The options 'Add Indice', 'NoSpace' and 'Use Fixed Filename' are applicable to EQBhav only. They may be shown just under 'EQ Bhav' spaced just a tab away to the right.

7) Facility to rename indices: Some users may use yahoo for intra-day data. Others may use NSE (through QT or other sources). Different sources use different names to the same index. To facilitate proper integration and combined look-up of EOD and Intraday quotes, Indices may be allowed to be renamed as per user's choice, through options and may be saved to INI file.

8) Presently, the program is simple and good. As there are requests to add other products like MCX and NCDEX also, and in case you are thinking of providing them, you may provide them into an altogether different program as cross application across these products is negligible and this program retains it's simplicity.

And lastly and on the lighter side, I think you are not happy with the service of Hathway ! Of course, I do not have the experience. I use BSNL BB.

murthymsr