NSEIndia Data Downloader

Hi Murthy,
I tried to reproduce the error but could not do it. I am at my wits end trying to findout how that happened.
I will recompile the program and upload it try it again. Try rebooting your computer then running the program. It may help:confused:
Regards,
Preston

see below for the latest version

Last edited:
Hello friends,
I added a new feature to the program now it recognizes if Amibroker is running and then start up or else it will immediatly close down saving you the need to go to your task manager and end process for Broker.exe
Regards,
Preston.

Hello friends please look below for the latest version I have removed the Amibroker tie-up.:) in this version and aded some small improvments.

Last edited:
Hi Preston

Is your Downloader Application compatible for FCharts. At present I use Data Extractor, Ver. 3.0.24 for NSE EOD data download. But recently, I observe that the Indices Data are not getting downloaded.

Does your application download EOD data for Stocks and F&O?. The present Data Extractor 3.0.24 downloads each stock in a csv file and then a "Convert" Button converts the same to .txt file. Subsequently FCharts imports the .txt file data.

Rgds

Slah

murthymsr

Hello friends,
I added a new feature to the program now it recognizes if Amibroker is running and then start up or else it will immediatly close down saving you the need to go to your task manager and end process for Broker.exe
Regards,
Preston.
Hi Mr Preston and all other visitors to this thread and users of NSEDataDownloader, which may ultimately become one of the most popular tools of similar nature.

Some of the features of this program like adding indice data to bhav copy and a very clean and impressive layout appealed to me a lot and I thought that I will provide support to this application by running each version and giving feedback. Accordingly, I was running this application and posting my observations in this forum, which Mr. Preston was kindly looking into for possibility of incorporation.

My OS in Vista home premium updated on-line regularly and up-to-date and on this system all my trading related software is installed and I use it for trading. And the other PC is with Win XP OS and NO trading related Software is installed in it.

Since the last week, I am facing a very funny problem with my Amibroker. The symbols window of Amibroker got disengaged from the rest of the application. However Amibroker was working normally as before. While running NSE DataDownloader, I faced a very funny situation. The NSEDD prevents closing of the symbols window when I closed the AB. When I closed the NSEDD subsequently, however the symbols window of Amibroker is getting closed.

Now I have to take a backup of my AB database and reinstall the AB and reload all data and other systems which is an additional beadache to what the market is giving these days. It is at this point, I decided 'NOT TO RUN NSEDD' on this system with AB and other applications loaded.

Next, I have tried to run this application on my other PC, where AB is NOT installed. It was the result of this running that I reported earlier in my post No. 118, attaching the file named "J.J. Myers.inc.png" which shows a warning window "You do not have an appropriate license to use this functionality".

These two experiences on the two systems perplexed me a lot and I could not make even the slightest guess of the reason for either of these experiences. These observations when read with the latest post No. 121 by Mr. preston, made me feel that NSEDD has an in-built mechanism to insist on linking up with AB, warning for which is now incorporated in the latest version posted.

In view of these sequential developments, I request Mr. Preston to develop and make this application free from all errors and incorporating user requests as possible, without insisting that AB should be running. The downloaded and processed data may be useful for importing into any charting software like FCharts, MetaStock and others also in addition to AB.

Mr Preston may also try the running of each of the next version on his system with all possible combination of options and get satisfied before posting any new version. He may also clearly indicate the current stage of the project and alert the users, not all of whom are software development process aware.

I request Mr Preston to offer his comments to my observations.

As far as I am concerned, I may be running NSEDD on my OTHER WINXP PC ONLY which does not have AB or any other trading software, till such time this application reaches the stage of stable and reliable usage by the less software savvy trading community, of course only if such a running is made possible by the developer without insisting for AB or any other charting software. Auto-feeding of data into AB and other SW may be thought of at a later stage. I cannot risk a repeat of what has happened to me now, nor any other user.

I also appeal to all visitors to this forum and users of NSEDD, to take adequate precaution as they feel fit, in view of my experience.

I am sorry to write all this, but it is in the interest of users and ultimately the developer also. Mr. Preston may kindly take this post with a positive spirit.

Thanks to Mr. Preston and all others for their valuable time.

Regards.

murthymsr

Hello Murthy,
Thanks for your input as usual you are a great help to me with your observations, I'm sorry if NSEDataDownloader caused you problems. I cant think of why that should happen, Unless you tried to close AB while my program was updating your database.
If incorporating auto update to NSEdatadownloader is a source of problems I'll remove it in the next version.
I am a reasonable person and don't take offense very easily. This program started out as a simple NSE data downloader I guess I'll keep it that way.
As for converting data to other formats I'd like to do that provided users send me sample data files and any other relevant information i may need to be able to incorporate the feature.
Regards,
Preston.

Hi Preston

Is your Downloader Application compatible for FCharts. At present I use Data Extractor, Ver. 3.0.24 for NSE EOD data download. But recently, I observe that the Indices Data are not getting downloaded.

Does your application download EOD data for Stocks and F&O?. The present Data Extractor 3.0.24 downloads each stock in a csv file and then a "Convert" Button converts the same to .txt file. Subsequently FCharts imports the .txt file data.

Rgds

Slah
Hello Slah,
At present my program does not support FCCharts... But I could add support I would like to have the format you require sent to me (a sample file) it should not be a problem for me to add that one more feature.
Regards,
Preston.

Hello Friends,
Here I am again with the Last Update for the next month or two I hope you enjoy & find NSEDataDownloader usefull as I do. I have removed the amibroker tie-up and added a few small improvments you will see it! but the thing is....Lets keep is simple....:)
PLease let me know if you have any problems using my program and I will address the problem when I get the time to do it as I now go back to work (Hoildays are over!!:mad:)
Those who want a special format to use with FCharts let me know today and also send me a sample data file or explain what format you need I will try and do that before I leave.
Regards,
Preston.

See below for the latest version!!:mad:

Last edited:

murthymsr

Hello Friends,
Here I am again with the Last Update for the next month or two I hope you enjoy & find NSEDataDownloader usefull as I do. I have removed the amibroker tie-up and added a few small improvments you will see it! but the thing is....Lets keep is simple....:)
PLease let me know if you have any problems using my program and I will address the problem when I get the time to do it as I now go back to work (Hoildays are over!!:mad:)
Those who want a special format to use with FCharts let me know today and also send me a sample data file or explain what format you need I will try and do that before I leave.
Regards,
Preston.
Hi Preston,

Thanks for the update which does not insist on AB to be running.

I have tried on my non-AB system and it is working as on the AB system without error as earlier. This will enable all other users also to be benefited.

I made some observations earlier and I am not aware of your reactions on some of them. A response from you on each of the request is very much appreciated. You may accept and incorporate in the next update or a later update or not-at-all, for your own reasons. I will be grateful for a line in response to each point.

In continuation to what I posted earlier, I add the following observations on version 10:187. (The version date is shown as 22-Nov-2008, and not 26-Nov-2008)

1) I used FCharts earlier, but not using now. I feel, the data as it is now, may be FCharts compatible. Users of FCharts may try and give feedback. I may reinstall FCharts temporarily and Trial run for compatibility at a later date, if necessary.

2) FO Bhav copy, when downloaded, saves to a file name as earlier. 'Use Date as File Name' option may be made applicable to FO Bhav copy also.

3) The two options 'Use Fixed File Name' and 'Use Date as File Name' in Bhav Copy Options use a check Box and I am able to select both, which is confusing to the user and may be to the program also. The two check Boxes may be made 'Mutually Exclusive - like a Radio Button)

4) It appears that Options are always saved on exit of program and restored on restart of the program. In each run, the program picks the options from the 'current' set. - This is how I understood the program to be working. But however, with the FO option, this is not happening always. This is what i reported earlier as 'FO Option not working.

5) Historical Indice data downloaded does not have the ticker field. This may be added.

6) Live NSE quotes are going to Live quotes Opted folder. Good.
Live Yahoo quotes are going to Program folder. These may also go to Live quotes Opted folder.
Ticker history data goes to Live Quote folder. This may go to Historical folder like the indice historical data.

7) I was thinking if we can run the program as a portable application. This will facilitate running the program from pen drive, moving across different systems etc. Looks like no registry entries are added / modified. (Am I right?). An option to enable folder structure will achieve this objective. Please look into.

8) 'Add Header' option may be applied to ALL downloads.

9) EQBEBhav, Index Historical and Stock Historical: All may have the fields Ticker, date, open, high, low, close, volume.

10) NSe IntraDay and Yahoo intraDay may have the columns ticker, date, time, open, high, low, close, volume.

11) Volume, when not available like for Indian indice and some foreign indice may be shown as zero.

12) FO Bhav: No comment, at present.

Necessary assignments can be made in the respective TA software.

Thanks again. Buon viaggio. Wish you will be able to spare some time for the cause of this program while on your assignment.

murthymsr

Last edited: