Niludeepak : 15 Min Time Frame Trading in Nifty

it is very sorry on my part to not to be able to update my threads on regular basis, was busy in personal endeavours,

i m working on minimising whipsaws using stochastics(8,3,5) and cci14, in 15min, hrly and daily timeframes, this project is going fine, i'll publish soon.

thnx all, pl. write if have some ideas.

pakatil

So now......it is no more simple method. All kinds of sophisticated rules are creeping in. It will surely create confusions.

Good luck.....Nilu Deepak. I am off from ur method.

So now......it is no more simple method. All kinds of sophisticated rules are creeping in. It will surely create confusions.

Market is always a combined function of PRICE, TIME and VOLUME and it will be foolish to have a strategy which just takes PRICE into account while ignoring the other two (and in my view more important parameters) parameters.

We differ in our mind set and that is okay... each has his own trait in every sphere so is in Trading too!! I am fearful of Large positions in the early period of trading when I do not have any profits to fall back to!! And even there after I am not totally comfortable taking home positions!!! As I know my phyche so I prefer a good night sleep over some extra profits!! Yes! hedged positions are less taxing.. and for me even when fully hedged positions taken home do have some stress effect so I prefer Intraday! I agree to few of your observations and not to many others!! But that is again an individual trait!! So be it!! Though many say that a few people know what will happen tomorrow they forget that ppeople may know about "man made events' and not the natural ones like tsunami etc.!!
I have seen systems (did not have the opportunity touse them) which give huge returns on paper ofcourse.... but most were Positional!! A also saw a strategy that gave just 20 points in Nifty consistently and this would surpass the returns by your strategy over a period of time if the profits are ploughed back in! In any strategy consistency and trading discipline is the key!! I have learnt these lessons the difficult way and my teacher being : The Market!!
I fully appreciate the strengths of your system : Fixed SL ! It is as good as Stop the losses and let the profits run!! But the huge profit you show requires Titanium balls to trade when the position sizing goes beyond a threshold... The efforts you can give are self evident and I would say that over a period of time you will come up with Rules making this strategy easier to trade!!! All the best!!
Hi,

Can u please post the strategy , books you refer details also to my email id. P L E A S E. [email protected]

Regards...
vidhya

the simple rule of buying above 8 15min hi and selling below 8 15min lo still works, its only our wavering mind which has a habit of doubting good things and thus complicates simple things, pl. dont get confused that old simple things doesnt work

for me the whipsaws, disturbs sufficiently to not let me follow the signals cut to cut, i m seriously thinking to buy an auto trading software(ppl. using such may pl. throw their advice !!)

my effort is to improve upon already good results, and the reason to do so is not that profits r moderate, but that the whipsaws , many time in a row creates emotional turmoil and throws us out of the track to follow the system mechanically.

Last edited:
After doing a lot of experimenting, i ve found that to improve this system we need to add an overlay of zig zag indicator on this 15min system

zig zag is set to .6%

In the first pic there were 10 sell signals according to our 15 min 8 bar turtle, out of them 6 were whipsaws (red price clusters not giving points or giving loss), zig zag could eliminate all six of them.

In the first pic there were 10 buy signals according to our 15 min 8 bar turtle, out of them 2 were whipsaws (blue price clusters not giving points or giving loss), zig zag could eliminate both 2 of them.

In the 2nd pic there were 8 sell signals according to our 15 min 8 bar turtle, out of them 4 were whipsaws (red price clusters not giving points or giving loss), zig zag could eliminate one of them.

In the 2nd pic there were 9 buy signals according to our 15 min 8 bar turtle, out of them 4 were whipsaws (blue price clusters not giving points or giving loss), zig zag could eliminate 3 of them.

so zig zag .6% gives gives us a better understanding of the direction of the trend, and helps us avoid jumping prematurely on the train in wrong direction

i request all boarders to pl. look into to suggest any important thing that i ve missed.

Last edited:
After doing a lot of experimenting, i ve found that to improve this system we need to add an overlay of zig zag indicator on this 15min system

zig zag is set to .6%

In the first pic there were 10 sell signals according to our 15 min 8 bar turtle, out of them 6 were whipsaws (red price clusters not giving points or giving loss), zig zag could eliminate all six of them.

In the first pic there were 10 buy signals according to our 15 min 8 bar turtle, out of them 2 were whipsaws (blue price clusters not giving points or giving loss), zig zag could eliminate all 2 of them.
Do you have the modified AFL, Neelu ji?

every thing is same, zig zag is added with buy sell arrows and a ribbon for the signals ( i ve found this zz afl from wisestocktrader after trying out many others , so thanx to the person who has posted)

_SECTION_BEGIN("Price");

SetChartOptions(0,chartShowArrows|chartShowDates);

_N(Title = StrFormat("{{NAME}} - {{INTERVAL}} {{DATE}} Open %g, Hi %g, Lo %g, Close %g (%.1f%%) {{VALUES}}", O, H, L, C, SelectedValue( ROC( C, 1 ) ) ));

TrendUp = C > Ref(HHV(H,8),-1);
TrendDn = C < Ref(LLV(L,8),-1);
TrendUp = ExRem(TrendUp,TrendDn);
TrendDn = ExRem(TrendDn,TrendUp);
//PlotShapes(TrendUp*shapeUpArrow,colorGreen);
//PlotShapes(TrendDn*shapeDownArrow,colorRed);
Plot(Ref(HHV(H,8),-1),"\n 8 15min Hi", colorGreen);
Plot((Ref(HHV(H,8),-1)+Ref(LLV(L,8),-1))/2,"8 15min Piv", colorGold);
Plot(Ref(LLV(L,8),-1),"8 15min Lo", colorPink);
_SECTION_BEGIN("Chart");
Vcolor=IIf( BarsSince(trendup) < BarsSince(trenddn),colorBlue ,colorRed);
GraphXSpace = 5;
PlotOHLC( Open, High, Low, Close, "", vcolor, styleCandle | styleThick );
_SECTION_END();

_SECTION_BEGIN("Price");
_N(Title = StrFormat("{{NAME}} - {{INTERVAL}} {{DATE}} Open %g, Hi %g, Lo %g, Close %g (%.1f%%) {{VALUES}}", O, H, L, C, SelectedValue( ROC( C, 1 ) ) ));
Plot( C, "Close", colorPink, styleNoTitle | ParamStyle("Style") | GetPriceStyle() );
_SECTION_END();
_SECTION_BEGIN("zigzag3");
array = Close;
amount = Param("Amount", 15.5, 1, 50, 0.5 );
zz0 = Zig( array, .6 );
zz1 = Ref( zz0, -1 );
zz2 = Ref( zz0, -2 );
tr = ValueWhen(zz0 > zz1 AND zz1 < zz2, zz1);
pk = ValueWhen(zz0 < zz1 AND zz1 > zz2, zz1);
PU = tr + 0.01 * abs(tr)*.6;
PD = pk - 0.01 * abs(pk)*.6;
ZZT = IIf( array >= PU AND zz0 > zz1, 1,
IIf( array <= PD AND zz0 < zz1, -1, 0 ) );
ZZT = ValueWhen( ZZT != 0, ZZT );
// plot price bar chart
Plot( Close, "Price", colorBlack, styleCandle );
// plot Zigzag and zigzag trend
//Plot( ZZT, "ZigZagTrend", colorRed, styleOwnScale );
Plot( zz0, "ZigZag line", colorBlue, styleThick );
// Plot the ribbon
ribboncol= IIf( ZZT > 0, colorGreen, colorRed );
Plot( 2, "ZZT Ribbon", ribboncol, styleArea | styleOwnScale | styleNoLabel, 0, 100 );
GraphXSpace = 10;
Buy = Cover = Cross( ZZT, 0 );
Sell = Short = Cross( 0, ZZT );
// plot arrows
PlotShapes( Buy + 2 * Sell, ribboncol, 0, IIf( Buy, L, H ), -30 );
_SECTION_END();

johnnypareek

every thing is same, zig zag is added with buy sell arrows and a ribbon for the signals ( i ve found this zz afl from wisestocktrader after trying out many others , so thanx to the person who has posted)

_SECTION_BEGIN("Price");

TrendUp = C > Ref(HHV(H,8),-1);
TrendDn = C < Ref(LLV(L,8),-1);
//PlotShapes(TrendUp*shapeUpArrow,colorGreen);
//PlotShapes(TrendDn*shapeDownArrow,colorRed);
Plot(Ref(HHV(H,8),-1),"\n 8 15min Hi", colorGreen);
Plot((Ref(HHV(H,8),-1)+Ref(LLV(L,8),-1))/2,"8 15min Piv", colorGold);
Plot(Ref(LLV(L,8),-1),"8 15min Lo", colorPink);
_SECTION_BEGIN("Chart");
Vcolor=IIf( BarsSince(trendup) < BarsSince(trenddn),colorBlue ,colorRed);
GraphXSpace = 5;
PlotOHLC( Open, High, Low, Close, "", vcolor, styleCandle | styleThick );
_SECTION_END();

_SECTION_BEGIN("Price");
Plot( C, "Close", colorPink, styleNoTitle | ParamStyle("Style") | GetPriceStyle() );
_SECTION_END();
_SECTION_BEGIN("zigzag3");
array = Close;
amount = Param("Amount", 15.5, 1, 50, 0.5 );
zz0 = Zig( array, .6 );
zz1 = Ref( zz0, -1 );
zz2 = Ref( zz0, -2 );
tr = ValueWhen(zz0 > zz1 AND zz1 < zz2, zz1);
pk = ValueWhen(zz0 < zz1 AND zz1 > zz2, zz1);
PU = tr + 0.01 * abs(tr)*.6;
PD = pk - 0.01 * abs(pk)*.6;
ZZT = IIf( array >= PU AND zz0 > zz1, 1,
IIf( array <= PD AND zz0 < zz1, -1, 0 ) );
ZZT = ValueWhen( ZZT != 0, ZZT );
// plot price bar chart
Plot( Close, "Price", colorBlack, styleCandle );
// plot Zigzag and zigzag trend
//Plot( ZZT, "ZigZagTrend", colorRed, styleOwnScale );
Plot( zz0, "ZigZag line", colorBlue, styleThick );
// Plot the ribbon
ribboncol= IIf( ZZT > 0, colorGreen, colorRed );
Plot( 2, "ZZT Ribbon", ribboncol, styleArea | styleOwnScale | styleNoLabel, 0, 100 );
GraphXSpace = 10;
Buy = Cover = Cross( ZZT, 0 );
Sell = Short = Cross( 0, ZZT );
// plot arrows
PlotShapes( Buy + 2 * Sell, ribboncol, 0, IIf( Buy, L, H ), -30 );
_SECTION_END();
As u used zig zag now code looking in to future. Your earlier code is fine. You can make easy your code by putting:
upbar=Optimize("UpBar",13,1,21,1);
dnbar=Optimize("DnBar",13,1,21,1);
TrendUp = C > Ref(upbar,-1);
TrendDn = C < Ref(dnbar,-1);

U can optimize by changing a bit. Hope this will help you.

johnnypareek at yahoo.com