Newbie Investor looking to take a plunge :)

Hi,

I my completed 1year at my first job this month and now I'm thinking of starting to investment the money I earn rather than keep on spending:p

Since I'm a complete newbie to investing so helpful tips would be welcome:)

From what I have read on Traderji, I need to have a demat account for investing with a broker. I will be investing not such a large amount but about 20-25k/year in the start and I'm looking towards holding it for long term. Along with shares I'm also looking towards investing in MFs.

I'm thinking of opening account with Zerodha as I have read good reviews about them and also they have got their BSE certificate too now, the other option I have kept is of Sharekhan since it was recommended by a friend.

Hope to get some advises from the experts out here:)

ganeshams

you should have both trading and Demat Account (hope you will be buying the shares in secondary market also)
considering your size of investment its better to go with Sharekhan as they have very good UI and for you to view and aslo easy to approach them as they got many branches opened across ...

basically , u can go with any one as u like , both are good !

however,i would still say zerodha , because of customer service,
as you would not trade daily u wont get the many benefits which zerodha offers.
but still they will guide u properly...

if u go for sharekhan , u have to do lot of negociating etc etc..
better to avoid the hustle...

Yup I'm looking to open Trading+Demat account :)

I searched regarding Zerodha, and found out that the opening charges & AMC are lesser than Sharekhan. Also on their site it was mentioned they charge 0.01% or Rs. 20 per executed order as brokerage, whichever is lower. And regarding Sharekhan, I read that they charge minimum brokerage of 10 paisa per stock would not let you trade stocks below 20 rs and If you trade, you will loose majority of your money in brokerage. Along with that there are lots of hidden rules and charges.

So ideally i felt Zerodha will be cheaper to maintain and transact.

Me being a newbie, can only read through what others have experienced and based on that I can make my own judgement.

Hoping to get more perspective on the two options i have shortlisted, since I planning to open the account before end of May:)

I searched regarding Zerodha, and found out that the opening charges & AMC are lesser than Sharekhan. Also on their site it was mentioned they charge 0.01% or Rs. 20 per executed order as brokerage, whichever is lower. And regarding Sharekhan, I read that they charge minimum brokerage of 10 paisa per stock would not let you trade stocks below 20 rs and If you trade, you will loose majority of your money in brokerage. Along with that there are lots of hidden rules and charges.

Me being a newbie, can only read through what others have experienced and based on that I can make my own judgement.

Hoping to get more perspective on the two options i have shortlisted, since I planning to open the account before end of May:)
Any help guys :confused:

Since I'm looking forward to open my account by next week so I was hoping for some guidance

prst

i feel, u should be worried only if ur planning to do lots of trades which involve high transaction costs and brokerage.
if ur planning to long term (or med term )investments, then u should be more concerned about reliable and customer friendly brokerage house.
my vote goes to sharekhan in this regard (though i have account in angel also).
if ur planning for intra day trades, then u may go for zeroda or any other guy who offers low brokerage costs.