NaMo's I'day speech : Its effect on the markets

RAAMAKANT

The Hon'able PM, Narendrabhai delivered d longest I-Day speech after Nehru did. In contrast, NaMo delivered his speech extempore. The PM announced some big ticket schemes like Jan-Dhan scheme underwhich d poor will be issued d Debit card of 1 Lakh n insurance too. Also Adarsh Gram Yojana scheme where an MP will have to develop a Model village in his constituency by 2016 n by 2019 five villages. Narendrabhai emphasised on enhancing export segment with more stress on Manufacturing sector. He called upon d nation to think about Made In India approach with Zero Defect n Zero Effect...The Planning Commission will be replaced by a super think tank called The National Development Reforms Committee. The PM expressed his pain at d tragic incidents of rape n violence against women. He pledged to build a clean nation by 2019. More importantly, the PM called upon Govt servants to be more service oriented n join hands in nation building.

jamit_05

I saw and heard the whole speech. Wasn't impressed.

That he is a good orator is obvious. That he holds the audience interest - that too has now become obvious. Looking beyond that, it was a "nothing" speech, IMO, except for the announcement about the scrapping of the Planning Commission.

Some commentators are saying that the speech highlighted the adage "Ask not what the country can do for you, ask what you can do for the country". Well, true as that might be, it wasn't in their election manifesto, was it ? Nor was the "bitter pill" theory.

Ok. Its a new government. I'll give them a 2 year honeymoon period before judging them. Today Modi has simply fulfilled his duty as PM, of addressing the nation on I'day. That's all. Nothing much to read in the speech.
He may be better off. Earlier speeches promised, but not delivered.

Lets face it, the common public does not want to get involved into changing the nation, although it wants the benefits. A PM or CM is sensible in not troubling the junta with details.

Just show us the results.

1) Make our government machinery work more effectively.

2) Develop our villages to increase consuming power and use it as leverage against MNC.... China is doing that pretty well. In return, get advanced technology for road building, environment management, fuel consumption efficiency etc. Important stuff. Lesser fuel consumption, lower Import Bill, lower CAD, stronger Rupee... better buying power in Intnl market.

3)Reduce red-tapism, encourage businesses of manufacturing, exporting, services etc.

4) Get us more employment. Hence, reduce civil unrests. Naxalism, riots etc.

What more can we ask for. Do this for 10 years and it'd be enough.

manishchan

The Hon'able PM, Narendrabhai delivered d longest I-Day speech after Nehru did. In contrast, NaMo delivered his speech extempore. The PM announced some big ticket schemes like Jan-Dhan scheme underwhich d poor will be issued d Debit card of 1 Lakh n insurance too. Also Adarsh Gram Yojana scheme where an MP will have to develop a Model village in his constituency by 2016 n by 2019 five villages. Narendrabhai emphasised on enhancing export segment with more stress on Manufacturing sector. He called upon d nation to think about Made In India approach with Zero Defect n Zero Effect...The Planning Commission will be replaced by a super think tank called The National Development Reforms Committee. The PM expressed his pain at d tragic incidents of rape n violence against women. He pledged to build a clean nation by 2019. More importantly, the PM called upon Govt servants to be more service oriented n join hands in nation building.

Focus on cleaning is something dt should be on the top of the list. But it has to start with the people instead of this being a gov't plan.

Here is the irony......... see the typical "Don't Care" approach of our janata... this is what happened to the premises right after the speech :( :annoyed:

Actually, I agree with his views about hygiene. Creating sanitation facilities will not only ensure cleanliness, but will require a lot of infrastructure to support it - water supply, sewage disposal etc.

But when he emphasized on "make in India" theme, he could have outlined some measures to encourage the manufacturers. I can understand the populist measures being announced, but why not announce something for those whom you want to be "karma yogi" ??

Agreed that we import a lot of stuff that could/should be made in India - nail cutters, scissors etc.. now kites as well as Ganpati idols.

Actually, I agree with his views about hygiene. Creating sanitation facilities will not only ensure cleanliness, but will require a lot of infrastructure to support it - water supply, sewage disposal etc.

But when he emphasized on "make in India" theme, he could have outlined some measures to encourage the manufacturers. I can understand the populist measures being announced, but why not announce something for those whom you want to be "karma yogi" ??

Agreed that we import a lot of stuff that could/should be made in India - nail cutters, scissors etc.. now kites as well as Ganpati idols.
Well , he talked about e- governance meaning easy,efficient and economical governance. Less Government controls and less redtape is the best incentive to the manufacturers....I was just talking to a friend who runs a factory...he says it is hell of a job to run a factory and face 30-32 Government agencies and corrupt officials...every one coming and expecting bribes....if the governance is made easy , it will help manufacturing sector a great deal. We cannot expect him to announce subsidy or interest rate cut from Red Fort 15 August speech...give him some time , he is a person who can bring about the change.

Smart_trade

Well , he talked about e- governance meaning easy,efficient and economical governance. Less Government controls and less redtape is the best incentive to the manufacturers....I was just talking to a friend who runs a factory...he says it is hell of a job to run a factory and face 30-32 Government agencies and corrupt officials...every one coming and expecting bribes....if the governance is made easy , it will help manufacturing sector a great deal. We cannot expect him to announce subsidy or interest rate cut from Red Fort 15 August speech...give him some time , he is a person who can bring about the change.

Smart_trade
Agreed. He did speak about e-governance. It has been a fact of life here in Surat. But I have not heard any experiences about e-governance making licensing easier :(

We are faced with the sinister prospect of the same corrupt officials running whatever the technology implemented. E-gov does help reduce the smaller instances of corruption, what Modi called micro-corruption in some pre-election interview; but the macro corruption is what rots the country.

We know about the corruption in some e-gov sectors - IRCTC, CIBIL ratings etc. These don't happen without corruption in high places, which go on despite the well-meaning leader, just because the leader can't be without the system that is corrupt.

Corruption and inflation were the key issues that missed out on mentioning in the ex-tempore speech.

Agreed. He did speak about e-governance. It has been a fact of life here in Surat. But I have not heard any experiences about e-governance making licensing easier :(

We are faced with the sinister prospect of the same corrupt officials running whatever the technology implemented. E-gov does help reduce the smaller instances of corruption, what Modi called micro-corruption in some pre-election interview; but the macro corruption is what rots the country.

We know about the corruption in some e-gov sectors - IRCTC, CIBIL ratings etc. These don't happen without corruption in high places, which go on despite the well-meaning leader, just because the leader can't be without the system that is corrupt.

Corruption and inflation were the key issues that missed out on mentioning in the ex-tempore speech.
Jara positive socho yar TP....

ST

2 years of honeymoon period, I said in an earlier post :)
Gujraat no manas etla negative kevi ritya thaya bhai ?:D You are from Surat...land of astute businessmen...

ST