My Trading Diary for 2013.

cinderblock

I was watching on TV how lions hunt and it was really inspirational for us traders. As traders we can learn a lot from the hunting process of big cats.

Patience : One of the most difficult qualities to develop in trading is the quality of waiting patiently. It’s particularly more difficult for day traders. Lions, tigers etc. wait patiently till the time when conditions are more in their favor. They often go to hunt in the darkness of night as they have good vision at night while theirs preys don’t.

Set-up : They look for easy preys and their favorite ‘set-ups’ are young calves, weak or injured animals or animals abandoned from their herd In the same way a trader too first needs to find set-ups profitable for him and then play only those set-ups over and over again.

Risk Control : To avoid injury from the horns etc. of their prey they attack from behind and not from face to face. Traders should always try to minimize losses. Be wary of taking opposite position in a trending stock.

Choice of Hunt : These hunters rely on their own hunts and don’t eat animals dead because of diseases etc. Don’t trade in counters which have poor liquidity.

Emotions :
These hunters hunt for their survival and not for the adrenaline rush or emotional high that they get in the process.

I am sure we can learn much more from these predators.

*Source: S.Sukhani's blog.

Yes, also they are no match for men with guns!

soft_trader

A young man asked Socrates the secret to success. Socrates told the young man to meet him near the river the next morning. They met. Socrates asked the young man to walk with him toward the river. When the water got up to their neck, Socrates took the young man by surprise and ducked him into the water. The boy struggled to get out but Socrates was strong and kept him there until the boy started turning blue. Socrates pulled his head out of the water and the first thing the young man did was to gasp and take a deep breath of air. Socrates asked, 'What did you want the most when you were there?" The boy replied, "Air." Socrates said, "That is the secret to success. When you want success as badly as you wanted the air, then you will get it." There is no other secret.

A burning desire is the starting point of all accomplishment.

Just like a small fire cannot give much heat, a weak desire cannot produce great results...

akhill

I was watching on TV how lions hunt and it was really inspirational for us traders. As traders we can learn a lot from the hunting process of big cats.

Patience : One of the most difficult qualities to develop in trading is the quality of waiting patiently. Its particularly more difficult for day traders. Lions, tigers etc. wait patiently till the time when conditions are more in their favor. They often go to hunt in the darkness of night as they have good vision at night while theirs preys dont.

Set-up : They look for easy preys and their favorite set-ups are young calves, weak or injured animals or animals abandoned from their herd In the same way a trader too first needs to find set-ups profitable for him and then play only those set-ups over and over again.

Risk Control : To avoid injury from the horns etc. of their prey they attack from behind and not from face to face. Traders should always try to minimize losses. Be wary of taking opposite position in a trending stock.

Choice of Hunt : These hunters rely on their own hunts and dont eat animals dead because of diseases etc. Dont trade in counters which have poor liquidity.

Emotions :
These hunters hunt for their survival and not for the adrenaline rush or emotional high that they get in the process.

I am sure we can learn much more from these predators.

*Source: S.Sukhani's blog.
good notes softyy

soft_trader

Lost for the first time this year. I was in Rs. 50/- profit by crude scalping. Tried trading in Silver Micro. Slippage killed me.

Lost Rs. 400/-

Hi Soft trader,

You are doing a great work by maintaining this diary, i just wanted a piece of advice from you, I am able to see that you are counting your winning trades by points, that is what most of the successful traders do, I am very new to trading and have only spent one year in learning the market so far, When i tried to keep track of my progress with points system, i was feeling like losing interest, not sure why, but i can promise one thing i am trading only for passion not just for money, but i am not able to track my progress with points alone always money comes in my mind, any piece of advice from you to avoid this please?

Lost for the first time this year. I was in Rs. 50/- profit by crude scalping. Tried trading in Silver Micro. Slippage killed me.

Lost Rs. 400/-
What was the trade in Silvermic ? How did the slippage kill the trade.

Also, how much margin is needed for Silvermic - Intraday/overnight ??

soft_trader

Crude is on the verge of breaking of of $94. I think that if it breaks above $94 it will reach $99-100 as per technicals. The rally to $100 can be very fast, equally as fast as it crashed from $100 to $92. But $94 is a huge resistance.

soft_trader

What was the trade in Silvermic ? How did the slippage kill the trade.

Also, how much margin is needed for Silvermic - Intraday/overnight ??
Silver moves so fast that it is difficult to enter limit orders. It's a 5 digit price you have to type and in the meantime the price will change. Bid/ask is so wide in silver that you could even differ by 30 points sometimes. :mad:

Margin required for silver mic is around Rs 2900-3000/-