My Trade Journal

VJAY

Shared by Niftytaurus

Learning to Become a Successful Trader
The following was posted as a comment by Ziad in reply to a post on Michael Brenke's Blog, but I'm posting it here (with Ziad's permission) because I believe it contains extremely valuable and genuine insights coming from a very disciplined and successful trader. I would also like to include the following quote by Dr.Brett Steenbarger

"Too many traders are looking for setups, when in fact they're the ones being set up."

--------------------------------------------------------------

Hi Michael,

I've been reading your blog for quite a while now but haven't commented yet. However, I feel I need to comment now.

If you don't mind I'm going to be very straight forward, and blunt even, but I hope you'll take it from a spirit of sincerity and genuine desire to help. It's going to be a long comment, so I'm going to break it up into 2 or 3 comments.

Here's the situation as I see it: For the last few months, and possibly much longer, you've just been spinning your wheels while thinking that you are getting somewhere. The reason for this is that you are going about learning how to trade in the wrong way, in my opinion. I say this because I've been trading much less than you, a little over 2 years now, and yet because of the way I went about learning and what I focused on, last year I netted $150k while nearly quintupling my account, without a single losing month, and while only risking a very small portion of my account on any single trade. Now there could be many reasons for the difference in performance, but I think one of the main reasons has to do with what you are focusing on and how you are going about the learning process.

To try to put it as succinctly as possible, in my view traders that are focusing all their attention on "set-ups" and finding out which combinations of indicators work are never going to become profitable. They are trying to follow the advice of trading books that say trading is simple and psychology is everything. So they search for set-ups that 'work', and that can take the guess work out of trading. They want to be "disciplined" and have simple rules that guide all their actions. But there's a few problems with this. Namely, while psychology is HUGE, it's not everything. And while trading is all about simple principles, actually having an edge is NOT simple. It's a myth that you can have a couple simple price or indicator set-ups and make money consistently if only you are disciplined. That's a load of crap. It keeps the dream alive for wannabe traders who never realize what it's truly about. Well let me tell you what it's truly about...

Trading is about being okay with ambiguity. It's about tolerating confusion. It's about sitting with discomfort and being at peace with it. It's about not having an exact script of when to trade or not to trade, or what's really a high odds trade, and being okay with that. It's about exceptions to the rules. It's about contradiction. It's about uncertainty.

And yet traders left and right want to make it simple. They want to reduce it to a few simple set-ups to trade with discipline. And yet the market is not simple. The market is all about uncertainty, and complexity, and ambiguity. Simple set-ups could never capture that, and they can never give you a true lasting edge.

So what's the solution? Is the problem in the simple set-ups themselves? No, it's in how they're being used. The bottom line is, every trader needs to learn to READ the markets. This means that simple rules will not do. There has to be a synthesis of different elements (whether they be price action, indicators, inter-market themes or whatever), and real-time interpretation must take place. It has to be all about CONTEXT. Once you can read the markets, and don't fool yourself it is a very complex process, then you can choose to employ "simple" set-ups to enter and exit. But the real work will be in interpreting the market to see when you should use which kind of set-up. Seeing a hammer or whatever near a support means nothing unless you've identified the broader picture and gotten a sense of the kind of tactics you should be using, and what the odds are for different scenarios unfolding.

Now I know you, and most traders do this to a certain extent, but your main focus is on the set-ups. It's not on reading the market from minute to minute, hour to hour, figuring out the odds of it doing this or doing that, adapting dynamically, and thinking of trade ideas from all your observation as the day unfolds. Rather, it's waiting for some simple set-up to pop up and then taking it.

Now is it easier emotionally to have clear set-ups to wait for and trade in this simple manner? Absolutely. But who said 'easy' would make you money. If I've learned anything, it's that the market rewards what is hard to do. It's hard to have ambiguity surrounding your market reads. It's hard being uncertain. It's hard dealing with competing and sometimes conflicting signs. And yet, this is what it's all about. You have to stop trying to avoid this by needing things to be clear cut. And is it hard to be disciplined when there's so much uncertainty about what is the right trade to make? Of course. But instead of trying to avoid the uncertainty by looking for simple set-ups, or some straight-forward method, train your mind to be able to deal with the uncertainty.

As for the learning process of how you go about doing this, it's all about being constantly engaged with the markets, trying to figure things out and learn from experience. For me, for instance, what I did was each and every day take notes in a journal all about market action and what I think it means, and how I should trade, and what is working and what's not. I didn't write a journal describing the trades I took, or what my emotions were during the day. It was all about market action. And it was all my perception and interpretation. Day after day, week after week, making mistakes, wrong calls, being clueless as to what was going on, not knowing how I should trade, not knowing if my views made sense or not, and yet I continued taking notes and learning. Then I would view charts and combinations of historical intraday charts, and I'd note certain behavior. For example, I'd study trend day after trend day and try to notice what they had in common and how I could have picked up on it in real time. Then I'd study range days. Then I'd study a price chart of the ES versus the Advance decline line and see what the relationship was across many different days. Then I'd do the same with the ES and TICK chart. And on and on. Over time, this gave me a feel for the markets, and a certain understanding of how certain days differ and many subtle signs and tells for each type of environment and context.

As for set-ups, I didn't use any predefined ones. I just formed trading ideas and then tried to get in at good trade locations. Even this, which is the art of execution, is quite complicated and not straight forward. I started realizing that in some environments it's best to wait for pullbacks, in others I need to get in at market or I'll be left in the dust. In some markets I can buy low and sell high, in other markets the opposite is in order. And so on.

I became consistently profitable in a timeframe of a few months by doing this. But of course before that I had read 30 or 40 books and so I had all the technical background. I had also worked a lot on my psychology and personal issues. But all of this was in conjunction with a method of learning and trading the markets that was mostly in opposition to what the general wisdom says about simple set-ups and exact rules.

Now of course you might say that everyone has their own style, some discretionary and some not. Absolutely. But even the purely mechanical traders are very adept at reading markets, and are aware of all of the complexity and ambiguity inherent in it. Their system might end up being simple, but it will come about through a very deep and complex understanding of markets. And usually this system will take the market environment (i.e. context) into account. It wont just be simple mindless set-ups.

In the end, all of what I am saying is meaningless unless you come to a personal realization. Take a look at your trading career thus far. Do you truly believe that if you just learn to focus and take all of your set-ups then your equity curve will reverse and you'll be a consistently profitable trader? Why would the world's top institutions spend millions and billions on R&D when a few simple set-ups could make them all of the money. This doesn't mean that to make money you need extremely complex mathematical models. Far from it. What it does mean is that you need extremely complex mental maps that take time and experience to develop, and that will never develop if you spend the whole trading day simply waiting for set-ups to materialize. That just won't cut it.

Right now your learning curve is stagnant because you're not truly studying the markets. Your day is wasted in waiting mode. It's not in observing and absorbing mode. Also, because you fear loss, you aren't willing to experiment. This means that you aren't making mistakes and failing regularly, which is what you need to do to learn quickly.

So to conclude, based on all of the above, my advice to you would be to stop trading and make a mental shift. Realize what you need to do to become successful, and it's definitely not staying on this endlessly unfruitful path being supported by the hope of future profits. You're just running in your place unless you change your focus and your learning method. And if you thought the journey was tough so far, you haven't seen anything yet. Get ready for uncertainty and ambiguity like you've never seen it before. But this shouldn't be scary. It should be exciting, because this is what trading is all about. This is why it's called an ART. And it truly becomes one when you change your focus and your learning process. Then everything, including success, becomes possible. And until then, it'll be a distant dream that keeps appearing to be so close and yet stays so far away.

So you need to re-align with a new thought system and then get on the simulator and trade. Take losses. Make mistakes. Be clueless. Don't be afraid of it. It's okay, that's the only way you'll progress. And trust me, progress you will.

Best of luck to you, and I wish you much success.

SOURCE:INTERNET

VJAY

"Every day I assume every position I have is wrong." -Paul Tudor Jones

"At the end of the day, the most important thing is how good are you at risk control." -Paul Tudor Jones

"Where you want to be is always in control, never wishing, always trading, and always, first and foremost protecting your butt." -Paul Tudor Jones

VJAY

A nice reply post by my friend Jagan :)

Day Trading is like playing a 20:20 Match.
Swing is like 50 overs or test match.

Choice has to be made by the trader.

I guess stress/adrenalin rush /roller coaster feeling wheat ever you may call it happens during market hours and one doesn't observe/watch them keenly.
--- Especially when one is not equipped with all that is required for day trading.

Are you a discretionary trader ? or a Mechanical system trader ?

If Mechanical
-------------
Back tested Mechanical trading system - clear entry/exit signals or targets ? (Positive expectancy ?)
Though there will be still phsycological challenges but real time analysis is eliminated and hence phsycology plays little role.

Want to have zero stress/anxiety - Go for ALGO trading .
Though finding - designing Mech trading system will be a real challenge.

Psychology plays a great importance for discretionary traders.
---------------------------------------------------------------------

If Discretionary - The EDGE is not just the system - The Edge is the Trader Himself + SYSTEM.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Trading has to be learnt
--------------------------------
Trading has to be learnt only by indulging in more trading - no other go.
Lot of screen hours and experiments.

Traders are unique and one has to find out what works for him well.

Try and see if you can follow a mechanical trading system with out any bias.
Try and see if you can follow a discretionary/rule based system
with out breaking the rules.

--------------------------
Threat and Stress
-------------------------
When mind perceives a Threat - mind creates stress to boost up the energy to cope up to the situation - Fight or Flight

So whats the threat ?
Address all the questions of the powerful subconscious mind.

The threat is financial/emotional.
Is my decision to choose the career as day trader/Trading for living is correct ?

If Yes
--Whats the edge I have ?

Do I have sufficient money to take care of my family/personal expenses/health/ with out
any income from Trading for say year at least?

Am I willing to risk just only the money I can and in no way affected even if whole of the money I loose.

Say after what period of time I will decide if I am fit for day trading ?

If I don't succeed in day trading - will I get job outside or I have alternate business ?

---PLEASE HAVE A WRITTEN BUSINESS PLAN/Trading PLAN/Trading System/Set ups - what ever you call it.
---OBJECTIVES/GOALS.
---CHECKLISTS
---PROCESS TO BE FOLLOWED

This is important because the subconscious is very powerful and will over power and influence our conscious mind and trading decision.

But whats the reason for stress/anxiety/in decisiveness/frustrations/ ?
When mind perceives a threat - it releases adrenaline.

So whats the threat ? - The threat of loosing money ?
Threat of unexpected sudden price move opposite to ones position ?
Threat of emotional discomfort when market proves ones views wrong ?
or belief system about the markets ?
So if one alters his belief system one will succeed in conquering the stress/anxiety combined with a solid system/strategy/setup.

A person having negative beliefs about the markets and
at the same time not ready to take responsibilities for his actions will surely fail.

Is it due to the liking to need to be in control of the external outcome of the situations while the outcome is not in ones control in trading ? - The Illusion of control ?

Trader has to let go the need to be in control ---- Very Very Tough.

Inability of accept small losses ?

Or Wish to be always right ?

Is it due to lack of confidence ?
How strong is one in TA ?

Some Psychological Reasons for Stress/Fear/Anxiety during Trading
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Continuous up/down up/down movement of price makes mind to start guessing ?uncertainty - which direction the markets are likely to go ?
What so ever effort mind may try to put it cannot for sure predict the right side of the chart 100% accurately all the times.
And even if there is 1% doubt the mind will continuously chatter.
So make concious effort/practice to stop the mind making effort unconsciously to assess for - against (up - down bias) continuously.

Lesser the no of thoughts - lesser the anxiety/stress/fear/doubt/confusion/.
If there is certainity - no anxiety/no thinking/guessing.

Trying to trade the markets continuously in smaller timeframes
--------------------------------------------------------------------
Continuous trading - taking all trades trend/counter trend/breakouts/pullbacks/high momentum/low momentum/sideways - very very very tough - but for experts/experienced traders.
It is very difficult to trade in both the directions long/short.
For trend rules will be diff from counter trend and side ways and this will need when to let run the profits/when to take profits aggressively/when to switch between
trending to sideways.
This requires fast dynamic analysis with out loosing focus and trading with out directional bias.

And one will definitely subjected to high amount of stress/anxiety when try this in initial stages.

Though not impossible but will take lot of years of experience and practice.Very rare achievement.

The continuous effort to keep making fast decisions ?
--------------------------------------------------------------
Continuous/conflicting/confusing price movement causes anxiety/stress.
Have a system well defined - entry/sl/re entry/trailing stop or exit rules/Risk rules well defined.

Keep it simple
----------------------
Analysis is different from Trading.One can analyze only the past - history - data's - left side of the charts - what ever.
If one keeps analyzing more during trading - there will be more thoughts.Trading will be stressful.

If too many complex rules/Having too many indicators - giving contradictory or lagging signals leading to
analysis paralysis or confusion,indecision./data points/checking multiple scripts/(some even find multiple time frames checks unnecessary).
[Again this depends - there are people who does this successfully - but very few].

Inability to trust/have deep faith/beliefs in ones trading system/SET UP/STrategy
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
One should have strong faith/trust/believe their trading system.
If one is not confident but doubtful about one's system - one may not trade successfully - stress free.
Small Losses are part of trading/Treat them as business costs - dont take losses personally.
Edge is in consistency in following ones trading system/rules.

Choosing the Right Time Frame for Trading
------------------------------------------------
Choosing a wrong time frame in trading ? - Say 1M but he may be more comfortable psychologically in trading 5M frame or 15M.
or 5M could be too slow or risk rules/better entries may not be suitable for the person and he may be comfortable with 3M.

Over Trading
-------------------
(Again this depends there are jobbers who trades 40-50 trades successfully.)
Trading more no of trades (ex 10+) in a single instrument - scalping
One needs to define what category the person belongs to.

Trying to Trade more no of instruments parallel.

Trade Size - Stretching too much beyond ones phsycological comfort zone
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Violating Risk Rules and taking trade size purely based on the TA skills of the person.
Say I saw some traders making 500% - 300% returns in options trading (day trading).
Capital involved - 40 -50 thousand - profit - one made 5 Lakhs and the second made 80,000.

Say with 50,000 rs trade size - risk % of the trade say 15% means 7,500 rs.
I was wondering if they are trading with a Total capital of 7.5 lakhs or trading with much lesser capital but taking high risk trades ?

LEVERAGE - Some trade using the leverage with out understanding the risks of leverage.
10X Leverage means the risk is amplified by 10 times

More the leverage more the risk and more the stress.

Choosing the right trading instrument
-----------------------------------------------
High volatile/High momentum instruments with abrupt price shocks may not be suitable for every one.
Say for example OPTIONS/BankNifty - but the same person if he is asked to trade Nifty - he would trade better.

Trade Management and Trading style.
-----------------------------------------
One has to find out which is psychologically comfortable for him.

Say some traders are comfortable with pre determined risk / entry / known exit point.
Enter the trade / place the stop and target and forget.
Trailing stops or unknown target creates a kind of uncertainty for them.

Some ride the trend and accepts what ever the market gives.

Say Trader A might be comfortable trading 15M time frame both for entry exits - no MTF analysis.

Trader B might be still riding the trend but could be moving to smaller time frame for
potential reversals.

Both are valid - (One has to find out what works out well for him).

Some traders prefer to take multiple small losses (strict stops) - predict tops/bottoms/reversals.
Some traders prefer large stops - and smaller no of stop loss hits.

Some traders wait for trade setups/Patterns/levels which they are comfortably and trade only those.

Say some trades breakouts/momentum well.
Some patiently wait for first pullback to the MA.

Trying to cope threat with false hope(Not accepting losses - self deception - stress coping techniques of mind) the outcome with wrong beliefs
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
After taking position and not willing to accept losses or being egoistic - emotional bias to be always correct - But deceiving oneself with wrong beliefs that I have sufficient margin.
Averaging the loosing trades
Hoping for reversals
Having a subjective/predictive strategies and believing that blindly violating ones risk rules even if trade goes against and keep hoping.

Observing the emotions
-----------------------------
Just note down how you feel during

High volatile high Momentum Periods/Price shocks.

When there is a series of continuous opposite trading signals - like
sideways zone and mind is already charged with negative emotion - if couple of losses taken in the
sideways and waiting for potential breakout.
Keeps guessing continuously - which side the breakout is likely to happen ? etc

Predicting tops/bottoms/reversals/

Anxiety/Stress/Frustration/Disappointment/Impatience/Disbelief or any other emotion that troubles.

Quit Smoking/Drinking habits if any.

During trading
Drink lot of Water/Juice.
Take couple of deep breaths.
Hear light music - just karoke.

How do you feel when market moves exactly opposite to your analysis/prediction ?
etc etc

Setting performance goals
---------------------------------
Don't set any monitory performance goals or keep watching the profit/loss/MTM often.
Have process improvement goals.
Focus on the process.
Keep improving the process.Trading results will improve automatically.
Trader cannot control the outcome of each trade.
He can control only his risk.

Don't try to tie the self worth with trading success/loss and don't pressure oneself to make more.
Markets doesn't care if one is rich or poor or educated or uneducated and nor the trading performance is dependent on them.

VJAY

Three must things for a trader..Shared by XRAY
1.A trader that chooses to be master a specific type of trading method or set up ,has a much better chance of success than the traders that just dabble in many different things and never make much progress.

2.A trader has to write a good trading plan while the market is closed to guide their trading while the market is open up.

3.A trading plan has to be followed with discipline to have success.

VJAY

Using capital for trading

Trade 1% of your trading capital on each trade. Increase the % only after you reach 50 % profit on your trading capital....This should take about 3 months. Then at the end of 3 months devide the profits equally between trading capital and risk capital.....continue trading 1 % of your trading capital.....and trade 4-5 % of your risk capital......let this continue for 100 % profit....then repeat the same step.....

Let us take an example...say your Initial trading capital is Rs 5 Lacs......you make 2.5 L profits devide that 50:50 ...so trading capital now becomes 5+1.25 =6.25 L and your risk capital is 1.25 L now on each trade you take 1 % of 6.25 L plus 5% of 1.25 L = 6250 +6250 = 12,500 on each trade......continue this till your trading capital + Risk capital becomes 15 L ....then same steps.....

If you find 5 % too large, then go for 3-4 % of risk capital but this compounding will increase your trading capital exponentially without taking undue risk with your trading capital which goes on increasing continuously.

Smart_trade

VJAY

Shared by XRAY

Just remember three points which are universal for any method

1. Price has memory. What did price do the last time it hit a certain level? Chances are it will do it again.

2. Big volume kills moves. Climax blow-offs take both buyers and sellers out of the market and lead to sideways action.

3. Don't create so many rules that you are confused,many traders ended there career with this

VJAY

About profit booking by ST sir

Trade management is most important part in trading.After we take a trade,then comes trade management part which includes trailing of stops at various points,adds,booking partial profits,and finally taking full profits on the complete position.It is the trade management which makes money for the traders .

In my view every trader has to understand the trading environment he is in at a particular period.If we are in sideways market or trending market our trading tools are different,similarly for trade management we have to understand ( either intuitively or by using ATR ) whether we are in range expansion or range contraction environment.Sometime market is in range contraction so it makes 35-40 points range in a day and sometimes it is in range expansion mode where it has a daily range of 80-85 points.Many traders here will remember a system which our friend Suri was running and for that he did a test to decide where he should take profits on fixed points basis.That time he even did not get many 20 points profit trades so he settled for 15 points because that time market was in contraction mode.If the same study is done today I am sure we will get enough trades for 20-25 or even 30 points profits because market environment has changed.

There are many studies which indicate that trailing profit taking gives better results than booking profits on fixed points basis.But booking part profits at fixed points puts some money in the pockets of a trader and holding rest of the position on trailing levels is lighter on his mind.In contraction markets he may be grabbing a profit in fixed 15 points and in range expansion he may decide to take partial profits at 30-35 or 40 points and trail the rest.

Profit taking can be done on the following :

1) Near earlier supports and resistances.

2) Near VWAP bands,TDST supports/ resistances,Near overbought and oversold areas in MFI.

3) Counting EW structure and the last wave in the pattern.

4) Wide Range Bars ( WRBs) ...here again booking profits on first WRB after a trend change breakout will leave too much on the table but after 2-3 WRBs and after a sustained move we could be booking profits at a much better location.

5) Steep up or down move after the market has run for some time is a good place to book profits.Market reverses atleast in short term here.

6) When market starts printing small range intertwining bars which have long tails meaning that the lows are aggressively bought is a good place to book profits if you are in a short trade...mirror image for a long trade.

7) 9 TDST set up bars completion and the next TDST not breaking is a good place to book profits.Markets have tendency to make short term tops/ bottoms on 9 set up bars.

8) Longer term ( such as hourly,daily) supports and resistances.

9) ATR to get an idea whether the market has done the day's move .

So booking profits is a fine art...with the above points you may be able to extract more points from a price move but sometimes you will book profits prematurely....this happens with everyone,we book profit and the market goes further in our direction. Re-entry could be a solution here.No real trader is able to catch all the tops and bottoms...we only should try to extract maximum.

Finally choose a solution which fits and matches with your mindset and that is the best for you.

Smart_trade
1) ATR is the average true range which the market does over a time period so a daily ATR will indicate average points which the market moves in a day. ATR of 70 and below is contraction and ATR above 70 is an expansion phase.

2 Suppose ATR is 85 and we find that the market from bottom has already travelled 70-75 points then we know that statistically the move for the day is done....or atleast we have finished the meaty part of the move and we should look for place for booking profits if few other things also converge to show the likely top of the move/day.

Smart_trade