my last thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

oilman5

answer is............Trading is in no way similar to tossing a coin and hoping for a 50:50 chance of winning and losing. Neither it is exclusively about the method/system you are using or exclusively how your are mentally build.

It requires a perfect combination of your personality and a self tested highly probable method/system.

If you don't have both with and in you, you won't ever make it.

Rest all is a slow poison.

oilman5

Again i am trying to copy paste from tnsn2345..........this thought process help immensely to understand mind during trade..........unfortunately some of my last night morning posting got vanished.............again i try to put the same.

The above allocation for different assets is the way to reach your goals and for this purpose the first step starts with defining the goals, very clearly in time terms and financial terms.

In the above illustration we have just considered a static investment of 1 L with out considering addition of funds in the entire 3 years period, which may not be a real life case, we keep earning regularly from our short TF trading portfolio or through existing jobs (for part time traders), such income also may be added at regular intervals to the goal oriented portfolio.

EXCEL helps us in many ways for allocation of such money. Also when I mentioned 3 L needed at the end of 3 years that mean, 3 L at today's worth. So what will be it worth after 3 years (add inflation cost). Here you may use EXCEL functions of NPV and FV to arrive at actual money needed at the end of the time period.

Coming to tools, EXCEL has all the utility tools one can want for Financial analysis and can be used in daily life. Teaching how to use Excel will be a subject in itself, but just visit the Functions section of Excel and go through the Finacial section and statistical section (for stat oriented readers) and explore the use of these functions, it will be an eye opener for many. Spend some time there and try to learn the uses. Thoda difficult aur boring lagega, but believe me it can be a game changer for you.

Another tools in Excel is the 'Solver' Function, which gives you a best combination of given alternative as per the parameters defined by you. Hence if you feed in the SD, expected returns of multiple asset and denife your parameters of the portfolio, 'Solver' function will do the rest and give you the best combination of allocation to be made to that particular portfolio. This is a great function. This is a must visit and use feature in Excel. (If you cannot see 'Solver', go to Tools, click Add-Ins, and in the Add In Available window, check 'Solver Add In)

As far as use of Excel is concerned I can just conclude is only if I could demonstrate it live, the uses and benefits, there is no other better way to do it. Since I can't do it all on this forum, I leave it to you to explore.

So likewise there will be many goals for different time maturities and all these running concurrently, so the allocation for each of these goals will be made in different risk assets expecting different returns.

When I talk about multiple trading portfolio especially the long term TF then it comprises of many such goals fulfillment object spread over 3 years to 5 years and beyond. The short term and mid term TF trading portfolio are like core and satellite activity which act as rudder and turbo booster to reach the goal.

By Core and Satellite activity means that your primary concern is a steady return with limited risk but time and again you find opportunities in the market to make a quick buck (with more risk) then you deploy some funds to capitalise on that opportunity, if you succeed, it help the entire portfolio, if you dont (which may happen occationally) then it does not create a dent in the entire portfolio.

It is very important to spend time on creating models as per your risk, skills, instruments you can invest and returns you expect from those investments.

I am a speculator and want to be the greatest of all, but not a gambler. I would not put my money on the table and hope that people will put theirs and then see who wins the game.

I want to make money but only if I see there is money on the table put by people who 'necessarily' want to make money. Against them, even if I have lower order of cards, I will still win, when their impatience eventually 'packs' even though they may have higher order of cards in their hands.

In other words, I would play 'who blinks first loses' game with a night watchman in the morning. And yes every morning and with a night watchman only, no other time of the day and with no one else.....And I know, infact you all also know (isn't that surprising) that there will always be a morning everyday, so just wait....to play your game then.

Trading = Speculating = Best opportunity - Lowest Risk.
Everyday the basic objective is to make your battle arena a familiar one, (something like the Indian cricket team is favourite at home grounds, due to familiar conditions / favourable playing conditions). Hence even if we keep on milking the market almost regularly, we should not (or rather cannot) reinvest the profits in those same smaller TF trading again. This is to keep the volume constant. Hence in such a screnario, expecting exponential returns only by short TF trading is incorrect.

oilman5

Mechanical vrs discretionary methods is a big debate. Both methods needs well defined entry / exit / SL / direction. The same method gives different results when the number of lots traded increases. The human emotion factor goes up with increase in volumes and this forces many eye ballers to shift to mechanical.

Developing a good mechanical system is far more tougher than eyeballing. Simply because following the rules become tougher with mechanical. like today, my system gave a exit for my shorts carried from yesterday at 5414... it gave a short at 5459 and an add-on short at 5478... sl came at 5522... I could have easily avoided the add but the moment i try to second guess the system, i would defeat the very purpose of shifting to mechanical. I enjoy trading stress free and if that means bearing a loser... i will gladly do it... simply because i know end of the month i will remain positive.

lack of thinking during trading hrs is what differentiates mechanical from discretionary. Some times its the smart thing to do and ley the law of average take care of the profit.... .................
This is absolutely right approach for mid and long TF tradings / investments. Incidently, the decision making for my mid / long TF trades comes from some very simple techinques based on EMA and couple of propritary mathematical models based on relative strength and rate of change of prices. These are purely mechanical approach but the TF are very long ranging from 3 months till 6 to 9 months.

For intraday and shorter TF less than a week holding periods, the best thing I have is the fund allocation is always constant so there is no pressure on the volume change. The profits are withdrawn and pooled for longer TF investments based on mechanical approach. These mid and long TF trades are non leveraged or extremely moderately leveraged, hence there is no pressure in any terms.

oilman5

............quite an effort, time and money has been "invested" (read 'lost') that the there is a strong resistance to quit.

Also to some extent there is a hope that a trader feels that now he has a good experience of the market, has got hold of a system which suits his personality and things are working for him. And this hope creates an illusion that what is lost can be recovered and money can be made from the market.
But this illusion is sooner or later shattered by one act or the other. And then it starts all over again.

Given the above fact, I feel there should be a smooth transitionary phase when a trader moves out to look for alternatives outside (What the gentlemen in your case mentioned above is extremely rare act and the logic of 1 and 0 or On and Off will not work for most misfit traders).

One thing that comes to my mind is confiding with someone who is very close to you, maybe a close friend or spouse and start discussing how you have messed up and in what state you are. Yes I know the obvious response for people who are not related to trading will immediately and strongly react and give hundreds of reasons to explain that trading is gambling, but if a proper precusor is given to then, maybe they could help smoothen things a little bit.

Also, in trading profession there is hardly or no interaction with any physical being hence most of the traders spent their recent trading years in isolation, this creates a rift between them and their society / friends / colleagues. Hence if a trader iniatiates a concrete effort to redevelop relationships with people associated with his daily life, he could get some ideas on way forward for him.
I have also tried to figure out at times as to why dont people call it a day. the only reason I could think of is...
most of the individuals enter the market in an uptrend, when everyone around them is making money and the only discussion going around in social circles is stocks and how much money was made by x or y.
he then enters the mkt and fr a while whatever he touches becomes gold.then comes the crash and he looses everything n some more.
after a thorough analysis, he finds that most of his trades were good, it was just the last one or two trades which brought the loss.
now he sets off again trying to rectify the previous mistakes and learns to put in a stop loss.
after maybe an year he realizes that due to the use of sl his win loss ratio is not as good as it was before and on balance he is not making any money, maybe loosing some.
then he goes on the never ending journey of buying books, learning technicals, visting forums etc. but more often than not his results do not change.
after a few years he finds that he is not much better off frm the time he had started.
but by this time , he has invested so much in the form of money, effort and most importantly 'time' that quitting becomes difficult.

I am reminded of a small episode. many yrs back Ikm was a broker who had the biggest client base in Delhi. he had a trading room where there were atleast 50 traders/subbrokers sitting together. one gentleman who was sitting in that room frm the past 3 yrs., suddenly got up one day, shook hands with everybody and said that he was calling it a day. everyone was surprised as to what happened suddenly. his response was, " the bse sensex went up frm 3000 to 5000, I did not make any money, so I thought maybe I am a bear and would make money when the mkt. falls, now it has come down frm 5000 to 3000 and I am still breakeven. so I feel this business is not for me"
he just quit and never came back........ there are not many who can admit that they were wrong and move on in life.

In life we dont know about future.

In stock trading we know but does not accept.

We know Markets all activity is running by loser's money.
Market have to pay NSE-BSE to maintain their building and staff.
Market have to pay thousands of brokers and sub-brokers to maitain
their family
Market have to pay taxes aslo. And market to pay some winners.
Yes, bigbull, chhote bandhu, bade bandhu, chhota haathi,bada haathi.
Winner may be you also.
These all Gets money from market. Market have only one source to get
money to pay all of them and that is losers. So loser is must for stock
market. Without loser market can not run.

I am in this stock market for more than a decade and has seen most of the ups & downs like everyone else.
Now let me ask you all people few simple questions.
WHY ARE YOU IN THIS MARKET?
WHAT ARE YOU IN THIS MARKET?
WHAT ARE YOUR PLANS/BLUEPRINTS?
HOW ARE YOUR MONEY MANAGEMENT ABILITY?
If you can answer these to yourself... you will never be a quitter. These questions are to be answered whatever business you venture into.
In all trading activities ... emotions always play a big role. (Even today I am influenced by emotions.) But by controlling these emotions, understanding+ eliminating the causes of them you can always make a come back.
Accepting the defeats do not make you a tiny. But losing the fighting spirit will sure doom you... not only here... anywhere you go and do any business.

I request all my (demoralised) TRADER friends to analyse themselves first and then start trading in stock market.

I wish, like lot of other professions with passage of time, one may eventually develop skills to perform the task, even if not at a pro level but still could manage to do it reasonably well to sustain himself and his family. But not trading. Here more experience not necessarily is any parameter to ensure success. Infact a trader lives by a day. No one is sure that a pro trader will always remain so. One bad day or a big wrong trade...and then the dominos' effect can just ruin everything. So trading is not simple or easy as it sounds in terms of sustenance. A trader is a daily wager.

Most of us may not be succussful traders and this is a fact, whether it is you or me or both only time will tell, but it is for sure. So how and where you think should you put your foot down and hang your boots.
...........................I call upon viewers to just state what are their strength areas (in terms of personality, skills, knowledge) and what profession they would have been (basis the strength areas) if they were not in trading profession. This could touch upon that side of a trader which may not be explored and might give us ideas to help nuture it.
over the years I have met maybe 2 or 3 naturally talented traders. broadly people who trade suffer from one of the following defects ( pardon me frm digressing frm the main topic):
a. compulsive trader.. he just looks at the screen and itches to do something..the thought of loosing never even once comes to his mind. he is constantly thinking of the millions that are there to be made frm the mkt.. I think he needs professional help.

b. too scared.. after a few beatings, he becomes too cautious and is afraid of putting a trade.he looses good oppertunities and never realises that trading is all about taking risks, not avoiding them.

c. plain ignorant... he dabbles with amounts that are not significant and his account keeps on alternating bet. green n red.

coming to the topic... I feel a trader who falls in any of the abovementioned categories is bound to fail and would be better off if he leaves trading and takes up a job which is more suited to his personality. but the most important factor is 'self realization till the time he does not realize that this particular vocation does not suit his personality, he cannot move on in life. sadly, I have seen many traders, who even after wasting many precious years of their life,do not realize this. for them the 'holy grail' is always just around the corner. the simple fact that someone can maybe be a good accountant and not a good photographer eludes them.

Trading is addictive and like any addiction to be removed there has to be a proper method which if followed could reduce or eliminate this addiction (E.g. we have NGOs which help people quit drinking etc) Infact I feel there is a big scope to start an institute / agency which could help rehabilitate failed traders. I am not doubting the ability and perseverance of traders but the fact is some of the 'traders' do not have that edge and howsoever you try they cannot succeed in trading (This is my opinion, others opinion could differ).

As you correctly said that most of the struggling traders always feel that the holy grail is round the corner and there is no self realisation that this is not their game.
Until and unless if you do not learn to Read the markets, you are not going to make consistent money. So we all start with learning the wrong skills but eventually you need to correct your learning.

The post below is written by a very successful S&P 500 futures trader Ziad. It may change your trading life for ever.

Hi XXXXXX,

I've been reading your blog for quite a while now but haven't commented yet. However, I feel I need to comment now.

If you don't mind I'm going to be very straight forward, and blunt even, but I hope you'll take it from a spirit of sincerity and genuine desire to help. It's going to be a long comment, so I'm going to break it up into 2 or 3 comments.

Here's the situation as I see it: For the last few months, and possibly much longer, you've just been spinning your wheels while thinking that you are getting somewhere. The reason for this is that you are going about learning how to trade in the wrong way, in my opinion. I say this because I've been trading much less than you, a little over 2 years now, and yet because of the way I went about learning and what I focused on, last year I netted $150k while nearly quintupling my account, without a single losing month, and while only risking a very small portion of my account on any single trade. Now there could be many reasons for the difference in performance, but I think one of the main reasons has to do with what you are focusing on and how you are going about the learning process.

To try to put it as succinctly as possible, in my view traders that are focusing all their attention on "set-ups" and finding out which combinations of indicators work are never going to become profitable. They are trying to follow the advice of trading books that say trading is simple and psychology is everything. So they search for set-ups that 'work', and that can take the guess work out of trading. They want to be "disciplined" and have simple rules that guide all their actions. But there's a few problems with this. Namely, while psychology is HUGE, it's not everything. And while trading is all about simple principles, actually having an edge is NOT simple. It's a myth that you can have a couple simple price or indicator set-ups and make money consistently if only you are disciplined. That's a load of crap. It keeps the dream alive for wannabe traders who never realize what it's truly about. Well let me tell you what it's truly about...

Trading is about being okay with ambiguity. It's about tolerating confusion. It's about sitting with discomfort and being at peace with it. It's about not having an exact script of when to trade or not to trade, or what's really a high odds trade, and being okay with that. It's about exceptions to the rules. It's about contradiction. It's about uncertainty.

And yet traders left and right want to make it simple. They want to reduce it to a few simple set-ups to trade with discipline. And yet the market is not simple. The market is all about uncertainty, and complexity, and ambiguity. Simple set-ups could never capture that, and they can never give you a true lasting edge.

So what's the solution? Is the problem in the simple set-ups themselves? No, it's in how they're being used. The bottom line is, every trader needs to learn to READ the markets. This means that simple rules will not do. There has to be a synthesis of different elements (whether they be price action, indicators, inter-market themes or whatever), and real-time interpretation must take place. It has to be all about CONTEXT. Once you can read the markets, and don't fool yourself it is a very complex process, then you can choose to employ "simple" set-ups to enter and exit. But the real work will be in interpreting the market to see when you should use which kind of set-up. Seeing a hammer or whatever near a support means nothing unless you've identified the broader picture and gotten a sense of the kind of tactics you should be using, and what the odds are for different scenarios unfolding.

Now I know you, and most traders do this to a certain extent, but your main focus is on the set-ups. It's not on reading the market from minute to minute, hour to hour, figuring out the odds of it doing this or doing that, adapting dynamically, and thinking of trade ideas from all your observation as the day unfolds. Rather, it's waiting for some simple set-up to pop up and then taking it.

Now is it easier emotionally to have clear set-ups to wait for and trade in this simple manner? Absolutely. But who said 'easy' would make you money. If I've learned anything, it's that the market rewards what is hard to do. It's hard to have ambiguity surrounding your market reads. It's hard being uncertain. It's hard dealing with competing and sometimes conflicting signs. And yet, this is what it's all about. You have to stop trying to avoid this by needing things to be And yet, this is what it's all about. You have to stop trying to avoid this by needing things to be clear cut. And is it hard to be disciplined when there's so much uncertainty about what is the right trade to make? Of course. But instead of trying to avoid the uncertainty by looking for simple set-ups, or some straight-forward method, train your mind to be able to deal with the uncertainty.

As for the learning process of how you go about doing this, it's all about being constantly engaged with the markets, trying to figure things out and learn from experience. For me, for instance, what I did was each and every day take notes in a journal all about market action and what I think it means, and how I should trade, and what is working and what's not. I didn't write a journal describing the trades I took, or what my emotions were during the day. It was all about market action. And it was all my perception and interpretation. Day after day, week after week, making mistakes, wrong calls, being clueless as to what was going on, not knowing how I should trade, not knowing if my views made sense or not, and yet I continued taking notes and learning. Then I would view charts and combinations of historical intraday charts, and I'd note certain behavior. For example, I'd study trend day after trend day and try to notice what they had in common and how I could have picked up on it in real time. Then I'd study range days. Then I'd study a price chart of the ES versus the Advance decline line and see what the relationship was across many different days. Then I'd do the same with the ES and TICK chart. And on and on. Over time, this gave me a feel for the markets, and a certain understanding of how certain days differ and many subtle signs and tells for each type of environment and context.

As for set-ups, I didn't use any predefined ones. I just formed trading ideas and then tried to get in at good trade locations. Even this, which is the art of execution, is quite complicated and not straight forward. I started realizing that in some environments it's best to wait for pullbacks, in others I need to get in at market or I'll be left in the dust. In some markets I can buy low and sell high, in other markets the opposite is in order. And so on.

I became consistently profitable in a timeframe of a few months by doing this. But of course before that I had read 30 or 40 books and so I had all the technical background. I had also worked a lot on my psychology and personal issues. But all of this was in conjunction with a method of learning and trading the markets that was mostly in opposition to what the general wisdom says about simple set-ups and exact rules.

Now of course you might say that everyone has their own style, some discretionary and some not. Absolutely. But even the purely mechanical traders are very adept at reading markets, and are aware of all of the complexity and ambiguity inherent in it. Their system might end up being simple, but it will come about through a very deep and complex understanding of markets. And usually this system will take the market environment (i.e. context) into account. It wont just be simple mindless set-ups.

In the end, all of what I am saying is meaningless unless you come to a personal realization. Take a look at your trading career thus far. Do you truly believe that if you just learn to focus and take all of your set-ups then your equity curve will reverse and you'll be a consistently profitable trader? Why would the world's top institutions spend millions and billions on R&D when a few simple set-ups could make them all of the money. This doesn't mean that to make money you need extremely complex mathematical models. Far from it. What it does mean is that you need extremely complex mental maps that take time and experience to develop, and that will never develop if you spend the whole trading day simply waiting for set-ups to materialize. That just won't cut it.

Right now your learning curve is stagnant because you're not truly studying the markets. Your day is wasted in waiting mode. It's not in observing and absorbing mode. Also, because you fear loss, you aren't willing to experiment. This means that you aren't making mistakes and failing regularly, which is what you need to do to learn quickly.

So to conclude, based on all of the above, my advice to you would be to stop trading and make a mental shift. Realize what you need to do to become successful, and it's definitely not staying on this endlessly unfruitful path being supported by the hope of future profits. You're just running in your place unless you change your focus and your learning method. And if you thought the journey was tough so far, you haven't seen anything yet. Get ready for uncertainty and ambiguity like you've never seen it before. But this shouldn't be scary. It should be exciting, because this is what trading is all about. This is why it's called an ART. And it truly becomes one when you change your focus and your learning process. Then everything, including success, becomes possible. And until then, it'll be a distant dream that keeps appearing to be so close and yet stays so far away.

So you need to re-align with a new thought system and then get on the simulator and trade. Take losses. Make mistakes. Be clueless. Don't be afraid of it. It's okay, that's the only way you'll progress. And trust me, progress you will.

oilman5

See in trading an individual is not working it is his money whom he wants to work for him and he puts money to work and loses in many cases. In trading apart from discipline; emotions, risk and money management also play vital role.

Four things differentiate trading from other professions (I mean business and not jobs). One, the gestation period of a trade (buy and sell) is very small, two; you can execute a trade in a fraction of a second (you always have a buyer and a seller at any point of time) three; you can go long and short and four; you are given leverage which make the returns (+ / -) very volatile.

All of the above could affect 'discpline', while in other professions, you may not have all or most the above elements, hence the 'discpline' part will be more or less get addressed. That is why we have so many people doing small businesses, running shops etc with whatever discipline they have and make a living. If you introduce them to trading they may mostly fail.

To my mind there is no doubt that one should give up without trying, changing, unlearing, learning and adapting to become a consistently successful trader.

I am coming from that school of thought wherein I feel that in other professions (be in a job or a business) apparent feedback is given (incase we are not suitable for doing it) that you need to go. This is despite a lot of training, conselling and mentoring we may still not be suited for the job. Infact if we are seeking a job, we have to face interviews, tests and experience is taken into account before an employer hires us. This is not so in trading, here anyone and everyone is 'welcome'.

When I started to work, I was doing something else, and today I am doing something entirely different (and just not related to what interests I had when I started working). It is like, I developed interests, enhanced skills to the new profession and was guided to the place where I am today. Today, I mentor people to their interest areas, something like I was mentored into.

Even in case of businesses other than trading, we get feedback from people close to us, our friends, family our customers and accordingly take decisions, sometimes to close it down.

But in trading, such interface without outside world is not there. It is limited to self (sometimes not even to close friends or family members) so there is no feedback. So despite trying everything and imporving here or there, there is no one who could say 'I have seen enough of you since long and despite all your efforts, I think someone could do this job better than you' or 'you are fired'.

Hence the need to "fire yourself".

Can we make it simple ? Are you happy what you are doing ?

If so, stay with it. and finish.

You like to read about trading or you do it part time as a hobby ? If so, continue.

Do you like your job and you plan once to live from trading ?

Clear your mind about what you want ! Take your time and do not hurry about it.

Trading can be a lonely job, but is has not to be ! Even if you trade by your self, you can hire an office in a public place and stay there during working hours.

Your success in trading can be honored by being happy with your self, buying maybe a new plant for the office, spending a nice evening with your family in a beautiful restaurant or what ever. That are the things and much more you can do, when trading for your own.

If you trade for a company like me at the moment, there are other ways. I do not say, that trading for a company is best, as I did it before more private. Each one has his good and bad sides.

Finally it is just a question, how you organize your mind and your live. Believe me about that.

How long one can run a business that is unprofitable?

Second question is easy to answer, once your capital is exhausted, your all known means of raising capital is exhausted, you are automatically thrown out by the system or market from further conducting the business.

The topic of this thread is not this completely 0 state

It is about the businessess tending to 0 state

Any business in this state has only two options

1. study in depth to see chances of any survival exists

2. or to shut the shop to stop further erosion of capital

The topic of this thread is 2

In my opinion,

1. One must understand and agree that this business has been in continuous losses (despite sales volumes, good creditors, good debtors, good manpower etc --- suitably interpret terms for trading)

2. Realisation should be firm enough that skills and resources are sufficient enough to turnaround the business, and trying for the salvage value is a better option than continuing efforts.

Having realised this, we must deliberate on new options to him/her/business how to maximise the salvage value,

Let us say we realised this X amount , One examining the options available to him/her/business there are only limited continuity to his/her/business to continue (I assume that the poor chap/s were burning the midnight oil for 5 years) will be to merge/join with another business running successfully

What differentiates trading than other conventional businesses is like what you mentioned about creditors, debtors, customers, human resources etc which is applicable in other business and can create ample pressure to close (incase the business is not doing good), in trading all of the above are zeroed in you one person i.e. the trader himself.

For a trader to define what is the reasonable limit beyond which he cannot continue trading is difficult to define. Because there is no formal process when this business is begun.

I think one way to start evaluating your performance (here poor performance) is firstly acknowledging that the performance is poor and unacceptable. Second, list down things which you plan to introduce (on the basis of your experience) to enhance the performance and give a time frame for reviewing if things have improved.

Once you steadly monitor such reviews and your performance during this period a pattern will emerge. Say if you are constantly losing after each period despite introducing things that you have learnt, then the message should be clear.

oilman5

let us go down further to understand this great tnsn2345
See in trading an individual is not working it is his money whom he wants to work for him and he puts money to work and loses in many cases. In trading apart from discipline; emotions, risk and money management also play vital role.
The difference between investor and other categories (trader, jobber, scalper etc) is how they treat the receivables. Investors do not make a living from appreciation of the asset, they have other source of earnings which is their primary source. Investing is not a business.

While for the other category (traders, jobbers, etc) treats it as their primary source of 'income' and it is their business, their livlihood.

Stockmarket is refletion of the economy in a broader sense and longer TF. And people should be encouraged to participate in it because as the economy grows, the compaines grows, the stock prices rise and so does the wealth of promoters and individuals (who participate in it).

The second category is not interested in the economy, growth etc, their primary aim is the movement (up or down) of the underlying. As long as there is a movement they are in it. And who creates this movement, it's them only. Fundamentals of a company, industry, economy does not changes every second, minitue or day or a week. But still the stock prices change every moment. Why?

So why are speculators and traders not banned in the market. Because they provide liquidity. And also the revenue to the goverment in terms of taxes, so they will always remain. As years pass, new specualtors and traders will come, most of the old will perish, someone who traded a decade ago is not in the market today, similarly only a handful of traders todays will trade after a decade.

So traders will come and go and provide lubrication to the system always. Nobody cares if they profit, lose, live or die. In most cases they lose and die and you have the next set ready to replace them.

What ever somebody is going to do after she/he leaves trading, will be build on thoughts, which may are not far away from thoughts she/he made at the time, when she/he decided to start trading.

The person, which leaves trading now, also needs clarity of thoughts. The term " Clarity of thoughts " was mentioned once from SG here in the forum and I think, it is a very good term. The term was used in conjunction with trading decisions. Using the term : "Clarity of thoughts", she/he also needs them about the following :

- In our lives, we have to accept responsibility for all our action, even it is a hard thing to do so.

- We have to conquer frustration and best do not make any decisions, when we are frustrated. It destroys objectivity.

- If possible, we should not look back too much, as it is a poisonous emotion we experience all too often.

- Exude confidence in our self in an unshakable way, is may best we can do against many draw downs in live.

- Maintain prosperity consciousness is an other thing to do. All relationship is a reflection of our relationship with ourself.

- Security is an illusion. Hardly spoken : “Life is either a daring adventure or nothing at all.” If we are attached to the concept of security, it will have the effect of making us feel insecure. An attachment to something outside of ourself is unfulfilling, because we feel empty without it.

- If we have to go new ways in live, why not write down what we want in our new live. We have to be specific, as the universe will deliver what we want. The universe will give us what we dwell upon. If we Dwell upon ambiguity it will give us just that.

Having clear thoughts about this, may points some people in some direction and leaving them trading with out any doubt. This are just some very little thoughts and she/he can add what ever is needed. On the other hand, exactly the same thoughts can be used when deciding to stay in trading.

To extract the crux related to the subject, a trader deciding to quit should seek to look out for things (or similar things) what he was doing earlier before he began to trade. I think this again is very relevant as it would be easier for him to get accustomed to a known terrain and would pick up things fast as compared to wander here and there (refered as 'non clarity of thoughts').
..................Despite all efforts to train if a misfit trader doesn't come up the curve (simply put it that he doesn't have essential ingredients) and DECIDES to quit what would your advise be on quitting, given that you are doing well in trading.

Dear Friends,

The question I have posed above is the one which any trader (established, struggling, amatuer trader) would not come terms to address because the mind has never given a thought to it. It is just one way thinking of trading, trading and trading (Results being immaterial)

Determination plays a great role here. What I believe that nothing is impossible if a person determines to achieve something. But if really wants to quit then why he posting message for his gains or losses and why he wants to fix a deal for suggestions. Anyway I am happy if he achieves what he wants from his life.determination plays a great role here..everybody can't be a good player in life..only winner knows how to turn the losing trade into profits..there is nothing luck in markets only the techniques help..everything is transparent...i have already said that it all depends on person to person and how he thinks..most of us think but do not act or vague thoughts come what will happen? The whole question is about uncertainity...I bet if you are certain nobody can beat you..and if you are walking in dark you will hit the walls here and there...
.......................as we grow up in life lot of our beliefs change, sometimes they take a 180 degree turn, only to realise that still we may not be right in our thoughts.

So when I was young, I started with 'Nothing is impossible', a few years later, it changed to 'Something is impossible', then, 'Many things are impossible' and then 'Just few things are possible'. So let us be realistic with ourselves, else the last belief 'Everything is impossible' may not be far.

Not that I am a pessimist, but this is how the life is .

1) Hockey, Football, Cricket, Relay race ("Many" i.e. the team competing with many)
2) Table tennis, badminton ("One" competing with One)
3) Golf, Long jump, running race ("One" competing with Self)

In the first group, if I as a part of the team is good (say a Sachin Tendulkar) but my team fails to deliver, either ways I loose. If I am a bowler / (defender in football) and my batting / (forwards in football) collapse, I am too gone with them.

In the second group, I am good, full of determination, but my opponent could be better or the best, so I have a limit to my excellence. I know the opponent, I can plan my play according to his weakness and also win pysologically over him by using tactics.

In the third group, I am self competiting, and there is no competition, I fight against myself so I can put full effort, take credit or blame for success of failure on my own and no one else.

So in all the above groups, though you are determined, the success not only depends on "YOU" but also on the environment. How and what others - be it your own team members or your opponents or your own self behave during the contest. So the thought on firm determination necessarily leading to success may be more bookish and motivatinal than in practice.

Coming to the Trading arena, this is one sport where all the above three group of sports are played together, jumbled, in random order, overlapping at times. So at one point when there are 'equal' numbers or traders placed against each others, so it is a team game. But unfortunately, before you realise some of your team members join the opposite team (aka match fixing) and you then are on the wrong side. Sometimes you think you know your opponents when you study the FII, DII data, volume data and while most of the times you don't. Sometimes when you are injured and wounded from the above battles, you take trades which are against the trend (despite you KNOWING it) so you have waged a war against none but only one i.e. you. So you are playing an independent sport.

In fact it is the 'determination' itself which makes it uneasy for us to quit a losing trade, a losing battle or trading per se.

The difference is we call other activities (you mentioned above other than trading) as 'hobby'. Hobby gives serenity to the mind, a sense of satisfaction, soothens mind and body. Similarly for most traders Trading is a compulsion and not a hobby, hence its results are all the opposite of what I mentioined just above. It tires, creates anxiety and a sense of incompleteness.

For other activities you may or may not spend money, even if you do, it is not in anticipation of making more money out of it, while in Trading you spend money in anticipation of making more of it.

There goes a saying "In dark the eye begins to 'see'". Implying that only when there is sudden bad situation, contrary to our belief, and we are severely affected by it, we start thinking to survival, act our best and get 'realistic' ideas in our mind which otherwise do not come.

Given this fact, and what we have seen sicne the start of the year 2011, the markets have suddenly taken a hair pin bend and many are still wondering why and how this has happened. Since last one week, it seems suddenly there has been a knee jerk and I guess many traders would have been caught on the wrong side, the swings were also large for inflicting large losses, including classic swing in the last half an hour on the trade today, down and than up 100 points on the Nifty each side.

oilman5

Here we shall some honest view, the person is not a hipocrite like me[oilman]....but can show his mistake with pain,so other can learn.
some known facts.
1) Completely addicted to trading/gambling ?--- Yes
2) Dont want to leave the money lost in the market as it is ? presently thinking that you got defeated ? yes
3) will statisfy if you earn the money lost market in some other good ways ? Not exactly ..... need to get the money from market only
4) self assesment will continue .....

What attaracted towards share market ?
1) Greedy to make money ? NO
2) love to numbers ? maths/ percentage ? Yes
3) Since mordern trading is such that you can do remotely ? annomiously ? yes
3) if 3rd point "yes" means you are not suitable for marketing ? politics ? stage performance etc ? may be yes
) self assesment will continue .....

Observation:
1) Though tough -all of a sudden when i think monday i may not trade or gamble suddendly all worries and fear about the crash or volatality are getting vanished from me

My initial gamble for past three months went fine (almost 30% gain in the capital) as I very strict to my MM and once got some good profit( 76k) on 3 Jan suddenly my behavior changes and jumped into the pool....

Really I am thinking to appoint some one like a programmed man who will obey only the agreed system and not me to gamble my account.... what happened is the same thing ... mobilized some capital from reserve and start gambling and end up in 1k profit...

it is like once placed ordered and watching the ordered getting executed giving a success feeling ... if trade goes against us it is giving a negative feeling ....

Means the psyche need either one (success or failure) ha!!!!.. Seeing the whole market as casino....We never enter in to the market with fear. We always enter with greed and exit with fear (when we loss) or exit early with greed when we start gaining....

So, obviously if we first manage our greed while entering then managing fear or greed at exit will be easy....

How to manage the greed while entering? Recently--couple of weeks before I learned that violating money management rules will bring the trading/gambling to end. The fear of losing the trading / gambling activity in the market nowadays putting a very strong brake whiling attempting to violate the money management rules which in turn now a days entering the market with fear.....

-Ninety percent trader are on loss side , why?
1: Fii , dii gave direction to market with their
amount of volume, u dont have such volume.
2: They have a strong ,expereinced team of technical and
fundamental analysis.
3: They have market knowledge of 15-20 years,
u have just half to 2 years expereince.
4:they invest more than six months ,
we for max six months.
5: They are professional ,they cannot wipe from market
for their one or two losses, but we will wipe out.
6: They get information before impact on stock or index value,
we get same information after impact on stock or index value.
These r some reasons we are in loss and thinking of quitting.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Change mind set ... Few lakhs can not change the market direction... Stop Averaging Loosing trades.. USe stop loss.. come out and re enter could be a best strategy.
Trading is in no way similar to tossing a coin and hoping for a 50:50 chance of winning and losing. Neither it is exclusively about the method/system you are using or exclusively how your are mentally build.

It requires a perfect combination of your personality and a self tested highly probable method/system.

If you don't have both with and in you, you won't ever make it.

"my trading life mostly on tips from friends and brokers but that continued for 6-7 months and I lost some money in it, not much but still I lost.

But because of this activity I became interested in trading and I felt that I can do it alone and will not need any help of others, I thought it was simple, so I started doing by seeing prices of stocks and buying and selling without any method, some times I was lucky sometimes not lucky. But by the end of 2 years I was still in loss as I noticed that my non profit trades where more in numbers than my profit trades. So I started spending time in Techinical analysis and fundamental analysis. I found Tech anlysis more exciting and so I bought books and them software to do it. I practise Tech Analyisis to quite advance level and then still I lost money. Now it was not due to more wrong trades, infact now my correct trades were much high in number to wrong trades, but the quantum of loss in those wrong trades was much much high as compared to profit in those right trades. So I then knew that my trading decision were right but my money management was wrong, so I studied it and read material on money management. I develop excel file to control money management. At times everything was working perfectly for me, there were continuous strecth of periods as long as 2 / 3 weeks when everything was working fine for me, my trades my money managemnt etc everything was working as per my plan and I was happy that I can make this field as my full time profession. But some how, I would enter into a mess and then every thing would collapse like a house of cards. Even after building a good system for my self after 3 year of trading and losing, last year my trading collapsed 4 times and I lost heavily during those collapses, I just could not get anything right, sometime not the movement sometimes not the money management and sometimes both. I some how gather courage to do control my self and practice meditation, yoga, maintain a trading notes, write rules etc everything I did. So at the end of 2010 I was still hopeful (but not confident) that I can be sucessful in trading. I was deeply in loss till end of 2010 still.

So when 2011 came, I had a resoultion of doing everything as per my plan in the new year. But from day one of me making resoultion everything seemed working against me, me too, I was working against me. I blew my tradign account balance in the first 15 days, (I had now started dealing in F&O in 2010). I transfered some money from FDs which were my last source of liquid assets and that too I lost heavyily in the last two weeks, so now not much left with me.
another honest man speaks.........."

oilman5

It is only that my mentality and sometime money managment inability does not support me. And the moment I start losing grip on my money manamgnet, i start disobeying my method. When I for 100% sure know as per my system I should exit and take reverser position, I still continue hold my original position. I think my system is perfect but not my mental capacity, hence it is a frustrative feeling I get when I think that I will not trade anymore.
People looking for an adrenaline rush should not be in trading. I had the adrenaline rush after every winning trade when I first started. But then, when I first started winning trades were something new to me. so along cam the euphoric feeling that a winning trade would bring.
That is part of the mental part of trading. I've now been trading for 6 1/2 years. Winning trades are something I am now used to. It is just a natural part of my job. I look for the high probability setups, and enter accordingly. The trade goes my way, and then I exit for a nice profit.
I don't have too many losing trades, but when I do, I also understand that is the small price of doing business. The reason I don't have many losing trades is that over these 6 1/2 years I have put in the time and effort to develop a sound methodology and approach to the markets.
I respectfully tell anyone that likens trading as just chance that they do not know what they are talking about. They are part of the 90% losing group of traders who uses "chance" as a cop out for their failures. If someone really believes trading is luck or chance, then save your money. Do not trade!
This is probably my ego speaking, but the rush for me in trading, is not making excellent trades, large amount of pips (I trade forex only.) on a given trade, or the money. The rush for me is in simply reading a set of charts, knowing when a market will reverse direction, and then watching it actually do that. It's human nature to like to be right. This is why I joined this forum. In my thread, I post my forecasts. It gets about 100 hits per day, on the average. People are watching. This helps me in staying on top of it. I'll be the goat of the this entire forum if I am wrong even close to half the time. I have to be right almost all the time.
That's the rush! In knowing I am right, and in knowing this forum abets my interests in being the best trader I can be.
.................... at one time or another, they have experienced large gains. That does not make a trader, nor make someone successful in this field. It is consistency, and by reading your posts, you are aware of that.
If you continue to trade, then the issues need to be addressed in sequential order:
1. Does your methodology win consistently for you? The answer will come by trading it on a demo account. If you see consistent gains over a large period of time, then you have a winning methodology. The flip side is if you could not win consistently on a demo, then up to this point, you could have saved yourself a lot of money.
2. Margin management is the next thing. Many traders fail, because they have an excellent methodology, but put too much of the equity in their account on a trade, and as a result, the slightest move against them blew it up. If anything, under-margin, and then you can set your trade, walk away, and even sleep easy at night.
3. Let's say you have the top 2 items working perfectly. You are now, here....at step 3. This is the intangible part of trading. It is the part that even the most seasoned traders have to deal with. It is the mental part of trading.It has 2 basic parts of it and that is in controlling fear and greed. There is something that changes when real money is on the line. Let me say without sounding like I am gloating. I knew I became an excellent trader, not when I developed a super methodology, or developed the knack to forecast the markets. I became an excellent trader when I knew that the emotional part of me was absolutely no different regardless if I had a winning trade or a losing trade. It got to the point that my wife can't even tell by my overall demeanor if I am having a good day / week or a bad one. In 2004, when I started up to the latter part of 2007, she knew how I was doing because it showed. There was no hiding it.

I'm saying all that to show one basic thing. That is to become a good trader, there is a due process involved. It is like any other job. If you hold a high position in your current job, it is because you earned it by paying the price, doing your due diligence, and by constantly learning and refining and going through all the necessary procedures to get there. Trading is no different, except it pays much more than a job working for someone.

If you find this inspiring, may it inspire you to proper action, and by taking the bull by the horns and steering the course towards being a great trader. I hope you don't just read it, get a great tingly feeling, and then go about business as usual. No one becomes an excellent trader without; 1. developing a sound methodology; 2. Develop proper margin management skills; 3. Controlling the mental part of trading. If you. personally, are not convinced the 1st 2 are in place, then please, so yourself a favor and stay out of the markets. The 3rd part will be developed over time, which is why I so strongly suggest to under-margin your trades.

Let me also add that I have read in this thread about the similarities different ones have drawn between gambling and trading, and that it is a 50-50 risk or chance. Respectfully, I would disregard that. Trading takes more effort than a gamblers' mentality or a game of chance. Due diligence, lots of work, and constant refinement of those skills is what it takes, and I assure you, it has nothing to do with chance or gambling.

Trading is an addiction with me. But, trading is a business, first. In forecasting, I look at it as winning a video game. I let my charges tell me the direction of the markets, then post according to what I see. The joy comes when I am right almost all the time.
The business part comes with the seriousness of how I have to approach it and treat just like a job that I have to punch a clock. This pays much better than any job I could have had punching a clock. I also realize that anytime I report to "work", I have to be mentally motivated, and stay within the psychological parameters.
Watching the charts and making determinations which way price will go is the game. Making trading decisions is the business. ...it is the principle of it. If anyone is going to do well in trading, they have to take it serious. This has to be a serious profession. OTOH, if it stops at being a game, and the trader does not care if he breaks even or takes losses, then it can be an expensive game. I'd rather treat it as a profession and enjoy the lifestyle it avails me.

oilman5

I am glad that you have got clarity of thought and have benifited by this thread. Though this idea (of this thread) would not teach anyone to be a good trader but will help in someway to teach all of us that there is life beyond trading. We all are being benefited by the contributions and suggestions made by members here, if not today, we will look back on these someday to lead a balanced life (even if we may still be doing trading then).
A man takes a small hammer and keeps on hitting a big rock. After 100 strikes, the rock finally breaks. The 100th strike was not the most powerful. The damage was done by the 99 consecutive blows and the last strike was just another blow that got the desired result. Now imagine the man's mindset after 99 blows...

What if he just gave up after 99. He thinks he is not strong enough to get the job done. The task he set out to achieve is simply not feasible. He tried his best and maybe he just needs a bigger hammer...

It happens to most of us in trading. We all know that probability of a trade going bad is 50-50 no matter how strong the signal is. If we follow a system that gives a 80% strike rate, it just means that over a series of 100 trades we can expect 80 of them to go our way. But what if 10 trades fail back to back. Will we be able to take the 11th trade with the same system with the same conviction??

Saurav and Sachin, both legendry batsman, with proven track record and years of successful cricketing years behind them, but this is where the similarity ends.

If you ask me today, Saurav will exit by hitting stoploss (and not only a stop loss, it is a catastrophe stop loss), while Sachin may exit at the top (setting trailing stop losses and exiting at the best price).

Quiting trading after nothing is left is not a decision, it is complusion, many traders are asked to quit (forced) since they do not have money to trade. The best actors, players retire in their best form and not when their times are bad after a successful career (eg. Saurav). Very rarely we come across someone who quits at top, and when they do they become legend. Mostly people want to hang around for long time, till the times moves ahead and they have to take a retreat.

When I write here on quiting trading it doesn't simply apply exclusively to misfit traders but all of us in general, who sometime over trade without knowing the consequences, the world is changing fast and so do trading. I am sure the way I trade today may not work after 5 years, I will have to enhance my skills, learn new techinques and unlearn redundant ones. And this will have to continue. I may not be able sustain physical stress (even I may have control over mental aspects) after a few years. Hence a need for all of us to chalk out an exit from active trading to passive trading then then (probably) relinquish trading, become an investor, let someone else manage major part of your wealth and live a good life.

But the most important thiing is to exit not like Saurav but something like Sachin (hope he hangs his boots in the best times - I know he will do it only then, he is a real hero).

oilman5

further addition from tnsn2345
What is the basic and important skill of a trader?

a) Decision making
b) Discipline
c) Asset allocation
d) All of the above
e) None of the above

Ok, I would say e) None of the above (see I am asking the 'basic' skill).

So what is the basic skill, it is something that we have learnt primary school -Math - yes elementray and basic math. Not even the highschool stuff or algerbra, geometry, a simple arithmatic.

But this arithmatic has to be on the finger tips and so good that you should be able to calculate (addition, division, multiplication and percentile functions) without a calculator (yes rough estimation will do).

We all focus on trading activity and the decision making process, trading method, system, discipline, the art and the science of trading, but most of the traders miss out on simple calculations of numbers i.e. how much is being allocated, what is the risk in a trade (for some, how much is the reward again quantifiable), how the loss would affect that particular trading portfolio and the overall portfolio etc etc..

The best way to get out of this complication and to have a common standard (as mentioned in the earlier post that every day our effort should be create a stable and familiar trading arena (even though there will be different movements every day) so that we can stick to our plan. (will write on this later) Ok coming back to the subject, what is the standard of computation.

IT IS 100. A HUNDRED. This is the measure of everything, absoultely everything. Once everything is related to 100, managing large volumes of trades also becomes difficult. What is 100. It is nothing but defining EVERYTHING in PERCENTAGE TERMS. EVERYTHING !!!!

So if my wealth is 50 L and I decide on 5 TF trading portfolios and the allocations are as say, (Allocations are basis the risk, volatility, expected retruns, leverage - non leverage and are derived with objective of meeting different financial goals)

P1 : 20 L
P2 : 15 L
P3 : 10 L
P4 : 3 L
P5 : 2 L

Total : 50 L

Now if I take portfolio P5 of 2 L, I calculate everything taking 2 L as 100. So if this is my intraday portfolio, and say, I am ok with a risking 10 k on a trade and 30k per day on his portfolio (the risk amount depends on the 'expected' volatility on the given trade or given day). Then the calculation is done as 5% risk per trade and 15% risk per day. All the calculation are done on % basis abosuletley. And this is done for all TF allocations (different risk) but the measure is in terms of %.

All this culminates in the total portfolio, which can be then diffience on weighted terms as per risk taken (again in % terms) on the total portfolio and the returns also need to be measured in % terms for invidivual as well as total portfolio.

Advantages...it takes makes calcuation faster and easier to grasp the activity on the ground instanty, helping to take faster decisions. It takes away the emotinality when you trade big trades.
.............................obvious in terms of risk taken per trade in intraday trading, but there are a few reasoning for this:

1) Look at the total allocation to the intraday trade to the total portfolio (2 L out of 50 L i.e. 4%)
2) Why is this allocation made for short TF trades ? - With 'expectation' of extra ordinary returns,
3) Why 'extra ordinay returns? - So it can have meaningful effect on the entire portfolio.
4) What is the cost of 'extra ordinary returns'? - More 'Risk'.
5) Hence selection of more risker instruments, primarily (as Jagan mentioned) Options.
6) How many trades are optimum for intraday trades? - I may sometimes takes as low as 2 trades in a day. Hence, I mean that it is not necessary that for intraday traders to keep on trading with 10 - 15 - 20 trades daily, it can be done with a good 5 - 6 trades also (which could be a combination of 5 m, 15 m, or 30 m TFs)

Coming to point 2) of trading different quantities of trading capital, one thing what you have suggest can be done, also, alternatively the other way to do by changing the trading TFs along with volatility. The risk per trade (in the above example of 5% etc) again is not static, it depends on the expected volatility on that given day and this number can easily vary anywhere from 2% to even double digits. I define this number at the EOD of the previous day for next day's trades. In most cases this number does not change in the day. But on some unexpected occasions, during 'the Interval Session' (will write on this later if appropriate then) this number can be revised either upwards or downward for the remaining period of the day.

The idea here is to be rigid with your maths, your definition of numbers (risk) amount allocations, volume per trade, etc, this has to be static, not tweaking around during the trading time (and for all time frames). And yes during the mid review (aka Interval Session) these can be revisited, if necessary.
.................Yes, there won't be difference in the risk taken if I am trading intrady either Options, Futures or stocks (margin trading - leveraged). As long as the instruments are highly leveraged the risk will be more and hence the Risk per trade / day will be similar. Just for Options, since there is element of IV, and faster decaying (higher Theta / Price) as we go in the month, the risk increases.

I can still trade (intraday) in Futures or leveraged stocks but Options give me more options to setup trades on the basis of IV and milkling Theta (by writing) and also gaining from directional movement of the UL.
my illustration Neutral trades was primarily dealing with impatient behaviour, which we as traders exhibit (pro - occasionally and novice - regularly) and are impatient to get into a trade, hence during such impatient movement or indecisive occasions (when your system tells yes, but conviction is low) then you start Neutral and then wait to things to unfold, either in your favour or otherwise.

Status
Not open for further replies.