2. maruti
3. HDFC
4.Indusindia Bank
5.ICICI Bank
6.RBL Bank
7. Eicher Motors

Etc...

Research continuing...
So I too have been interested in Mutual Fund portfolio's and trying to copy their holdings in trading ( medium to long term, 3 months to about a year )

I know the obvious flaw in this method is that we won;t be able to get the same entry and exit points as the MF manager, a few days/weeks delay in getting into a stock can prove to be potentially ineffective in making a profit from it.

However, I have shortlisted a few, not so large cap companies chosen by various Mutual funds and which might provide decent returns in near futures ..

Apar Ind
Deepak Nitrite
EngineersInd
Himadri Special
KEC Intl
KEI Industries
L&T Finance
Mothersun Sumi

Comments ?

checkmate7

One of my friend needs to invest in any good tax saving mutual fund...Please suggest few :)

travi

One of my friend needs to invest in any good tax saving mutual fund...Please suggest few :)
These 4 are the top ones by AUM
Axis Long Term Equity Fund (G)
Reliance Tax Saver (ELSS) (G)
HDFC Tax Saver (G)
SBI Magnum Tax Gain (G)

They all have similar average returns of +15% for 3 Yrs and around 23-30% for last 1yr.

travi

No adds in the last 3 months to Motilal Oswal MOSt Focussed 25 but now after 6 months will be moving 40-50% of its allotment to another fund.
6 mnth return is now at breakeven.

Last 6m and 3m TF, MO fund return has been below the N50 return, which I would consider a return benchmark.
For eg. Kotak select focus has atleast matched it.

MO was too aggressive on HDFC twins and Bajajfinsrv which I guess may have contributed whereas some1 like Kotak select
had two movers like Reliance and SBI (a great bet as far as i'm concerned) which I personally wouldn't have seen.

travi

This is an excerpt from Market Wizards - Hedge Funds from an interview with Martin Taylor who has an extensive Track record with Emerging Markets.
Although the text dates back 5-7 years, the insight and thought process is still very relevant today especially in context with the Indian Mkts and the local mutual fund game.

Why do such a large percentage of long-only managers underperform the index?
There are multiple reasons for it.
First, management fees in emerging markets are relatively high—typically, 100 to 200 basis points.
Second, the high volatility of emerging markets leads to a bias of managers making poor investment decisions, such as panicking out of positions near the bottom and jumping into positions near the top because they are afraid of missing the move.
Third, the composition of the emerging market index changes frequently, which leads to a negative bias when managers sell a stock that has been dropped from the index and is under widespread selling pressure.
Fourth, and perhaps most important, emerging markets tend to behave more irrationally than any other market because a large percentage of participants in these markets are local retail investors. These local investors will often make decisions based on reasons that you and I would not consider rational, such as rumors and conspiracy theories. I think if you took a poll among local emerging market investors, two or three times as many of them would think that the World Trade Center towers were brought down by the CIA rather than by Al Qaeda. When you are dealing with that kind of mind-set, you can get very badly burned investing just on fundamentals.

I thought that foreign investors were dominant in emerging markets.

The thundering herd of foreign investors that can shift huge amounts of money in and out of emerging markets are dominant around cycle turning points, but over longer periods, the key price moves are influenced by local investors and the rumor of the day. You can have a situation where you go short because there is terrible fundamental news on a company, and then the stock keeps on going up because of some wild, unfounded rumor that the son of the president is going to buy the company out.

Why then don't people invest directly into the index if such a large percentage of managers underperform the index?

There are several reasons why emerging market long-only funds have persisted despite their appalling performance. One key reason is marketing.
Look at the Templeton emerging markets funds, for example, managed by Mark Mobius. Contrary to his media image as an emerging markets investment guru, he has in fact massively underperformed the index over the past 20 years. This fact hasn't stopped them raising tens of billions of dollars because he is always in the papers visiting and opining on emerging market companies and governments. The world of investment advisers is heavily influenced by media image so they suck their clients into this stuff.

Why do so many people continue to invest with him lithe relative performance has been so bad?

Because they're not looking at relative performance. Emerging markets have gone up a lot over time. So if, for example, emerging markets are up an average of 10 percent per year, and he is up 6 percent per year, they are just looking at the fact that their investment is up.

So I too have been interested in Mutual Fund portfolio's and trying to copy their holdings in trading ( medium to long term, 3 months to about a year )

I know the obvious flaw in this method is that we won;t be able to get the same entry and exit points as the MF manager, a few days/weeks delay in getting into a stock can prove to be potentially ineffective in making a profit from it.

However, I have shortlisted a few, not so large cap companies chosen by various Mutual funds and which might provide decent returns in near futures ..

Apar Ind
Deepak Nitrite
EngineersInd
Himadri Special
KEC Intl
KEI Industries
L&T Finance
Mothersun Sumi

Comments ?
I only got two of the above listed stocks :(
Got into KEC at 293, 10% up.
Mothersumi I planned to buy in parts of the total earmarked amount , trying to average out. Got 1/4 of the planned shares at 345, the next day placed an order at 337 but it didnt go below 341. Now it rose to 363+ :(

Missed the KEI rally :(
Also could've entered APAR at 750, but i guess hindsight is 20/20.

Dodged a bullet on L&T Finnace :) Removed Deepak Nitrite from watchlist for now, dropping obscure names, safer to go with the currently trending names. Engineers Ind on radar but not too keen.

Will come up with new watchlist after going through several Mutual Funds holdings.

Use this link to track bulk buys by MFs

http://www.prudentcorporate.com/BulkBlockReport.aspx

i am also planning and seen few any help in selecting

Aditya birla sun life small & mid cap fund

Category—small cap

Minimum sip --- 1000

5 year –

3 year—25.8 direct plan

Exit Load (%)1% for redemption within 365 days

Net asset—1,376

Expense ratio—2.48%

Portflolio manager:: Jayesh Gandhi

Hdfc balanced

Fund

Minimum sip --- 500

5 year—

3 year—13.43

EXIT LOAD--- for units in excess 15% of investment. 1% will be charged for redemption within 365 days .

Net asset -- 17,073

Expense ratio ---1.96

Portflolio manager:: chirag setalvad

let me know

Subhadip

i am also planning and seen few any help in selecting

Aditya birla sun life small & mid cap fund

Category—small cap

Minimum sip --- 1000

5 year –

3 year—25.8 direct plan

Exit Load (%)1% for redemption within 365 days

Net asset—1,376

Expense ratio—2.48%

Portflolio manager:: Jayesh Gandhi

Hdfc balanced

Fund

Minimum sip --- 500

5 year—

3 year—13.43

EXIT LOAD--- for units in excess 15% of investment. 1% will be charged for redemption within 365 days .

Net asset -- 17,073

Expense ratio ---1.96

Portflolio manager:: chirag setalvad

let me know
HDFC Balanced is good... No idea about other one..