Long term investment discussions

Started my investment journy
bought 100 shares of Ashokley land at 35.90. Expecting the price to drop to 20 rs atleast so I can buy more ;)

View attachment 41020
Ashok Leyland had a stock split (or bonus) around 24 if I remember correctly. Maybe it will react to those levels.

bashasm

Not correct for me to talk about non day trading related topics in this thread, quote me in your thread and I will try to reply there. Lets not offend any more super day traders here as many aspiring traders would lose an opportunity to learn their success formula. We already lost one today as he got offended...:)
Hi sir, Let us continue our discussion here ;)

MSN1979

What do you guys think of my list? Any stocks you guys think is not worth keeping for a time frame of 2-3 years?

This is the list where I think recovery will come first

Axis Bank
Ambuja Cem
BajajFinServ
Bajaj Finance
HDFC Bank
HDFC
HDFC Life
Kotak Mahindra Bank
SBIN
MCDOWELL
Relaince
Nestle
Britannia
Marico
ITC
LT
ICICI Bank
COLPAL
PIDILITE
ASIANPAINTS
RELAXO
BATA INDIA
HINDALCO
CIPLA
SUNPHARMA
DIVILAB
Abbot India
Dabur
TCS
HCL TECH
DMART
IRCTC

Few Stocks I have which I am not looking to invest in currently due to micro economic factors but will invest once the trend changes

Maruti
Bajaj Auto
Hero Motor
TVS

Please feel free to suggest changes or why you think some stock can be excluded and if you have a better suggestion of stock, your input will be highly appriciated.

PS: Just for Fun, no compettition

MSN1979

I am missing tyre stocks, MRF is very expensive. Apart from MRF do you guys prefer Ceat or any other?

What do you guys think of my list? Any stocks you guys think is not worth keeping for a time frame of 2-3 years?

This is the list where I think recovery will come first

Axis Bank
Ambuja Cem
BajajFinServ
Bajaj Finance
HDFC Bank
HDFC
HDFC Life
Kotak Mahindra Bank
SBIN
MCDOWELL
Relaince
Nestle
Britannia
Marico
ITC
LT
ICICI Bank
COLPAL
PIDILITE
ASIANPAINTS
RELAXO
BATA INDIA
HINDALCO
CIPLA
SUNPHARMA
DIVILAB
Abbot India
Dabur
TCS
HCL TECH
DMART
IRCTC

Few Stocks I have which I am not looking to invest in currently due to micro economic factors but will invest once the trend changes

Maruti
Bajaj Auto
Hero Motor
TVS

Please feel free to suggest changes or why you think some stock can be excluded and if you have a better suggestion of stock, your input will be highly appriciated.

PS: Just for Fun, no compettition
You got something against auto companies ? How about 2 wheelers, auto ancillaries and tyre/tube companies (like apollo, balkrishna)

MSN1979

You got something against auto companies ? How about 2 wheelers, auto ancillaries and tyre/tube companies (like apollo, balkrishna)
:) Ha ha , which one do you think is better? Bajaj Auto or Hero Motor?
Maruti is the best shot in car segment

Auto Ancillaries: Please suggest some good names with solid management and if possible dividend paying ones

Tyres: Suggest me a good name please

ncube

Hi sir, Let us continue our discussion here ;)
You could have just posted your question...not my response..:)

To answer your question, yes we need to sell the debt funds before we can purchasing the stocks, most of the short term debt funds have payout time of T+1, that is if you sell the units today Monday before 1:00PM you will have the money in your account tomorrow (Tuesday) evening or at max Wednesday morning before the markets open.

So what I usually do is plan my purchasing in advance and not try to exactly time the market, i.e if the market is down say 5% from my previous fall and today the market is continuing to fall until 12:30, there is a pretty good chance that market will give a pause in next 1 or 2 day. I will place a sell order today before 01:00pm for only the required number of units that I want to invest next.

ncube

Understanding portfolio construction is very important. When I say portfolio its not just equity portfolio it includes all asset classes that is required to make our future secure. One should not be discouraged that they do not have enough capital now to think about building a portfolio. Unless one visualise his future goals today it will never be possible to reach it as you would not know what your goal is in the first place.

To be clear even if one do not have enough capital now, he should have a portfolio view of his future goals, start small and each drop of saving now will make a huge difference over long term.

ncube

To give an example, think about how you want your life to be in next 10-20-30 yrs from now. Most likely there are some of the assets one would aspire to have: Own house, sizeable FD/debt, PF fund, Insurance, Equity, emergency fund etc. These constitutes your portfolio, based on this view you need to start building your portfolio, you may not have enough capital now for all these, thats fine, start small even if you put 100 rs in each its fine, it will grow over time. Just that you need to give priority to each and make a habit of saving for the future.

Now lets just talk about the Equity part, what is the total allocation to this should be, it depends on your age and risk taking ability, if you ask me, my allocation was about 10% of my networth in equity couple of years ago, now it is abt 15%.

Within this 15% I construct the portfolio of about 70% equity and 30% debt, this debt part is separate from the FD/debt component. This 30% debt is only used for adding to equity portion when the equity part goes into drawdown.

To bring about disciple it is not required to have huge capital, even when I had some saving of even rs 1000, I will break it up into 700 and 300, 300 would go into debt fund and 700 invested in buying stocks. Stock buying and selling will following a simple long term strategy and even if I can buy only 1 share with the cash available its still a good option.

Just follow this approach with discipline and I am sure you will see the real difference over time. Best of luck!!!