Laptop power on problems

DSM

TP,

Even if you are using a power cord to connect to laptop, with dead batteries, it will give way. Have experienced this with another laptop as well. Powercord has to run thru batteries - unless you can connect directly. I can relate to your issue, as with dying battery, and even power plugged in, a small shift of the wire/power cord, the laptop would go off... which means the battery could not sustain without even a few seconds off power.

Just my view....

Once again, it doesn't seem to be a battery problem. The laptop should power up even without the battery, right ? It doesn't.

vijkris

Learner and Follower
my 5 yrs old acer netbook powers on just by plugging in the adapter. no need of batteries.
BTW, this is my 2nd battery. still giving 4 hrs backup.

maybe newer laptops wont switch on without batteries.:confused:

ur prob is also confusing. in 1 yr battery should not be dead. atleast 2,3 yrs is its life.

pakatil

@TP,

I had this issue with Dell and Toshiba Laptops. Toshiba would power on without Battery. Whereas Dell needed a Battery.

I have always been a Desktop man. My nephews got these from US. So used it for 5 - 6 years and gave them away.

Cheers :D

TradeJoker

Same problem happened with my Acer netbook, I've 4hrs backup, but suddenly started this problem, after countinously working without switching off the netbook solved the problem, now its working from battery, my netbook is 3.5 yrs old, I think anytime could happen the problem again

godfather

:) Just try to re-calibrate battery
* Steps from Acer website
Calibrating your battery helps get a proper reading on your current battery charge. If your battery is dying before the reported time given in Windows, it could be that you need to calibrate your battery.

Use the following steps to to re-calibrate the battery:

Turn the notebook or netbook off. Plug in your AC adapter.
Let the unit fully charge, until the battery LED turns off.
Turn on the computer and press the F8 key repeatedly when the first logo screen appears.
In the Windows Advanced Startup menu, select Safe Mode and press the ENTER key.
Unplug the unit and let the computer run on battery until it shuts down.
Note: The process to re-calibrate your battery can take several hours, depending on the battery lifetime and age, and the configuration of your system.

Thanks, but my problem is the reverse. The battery, as mentioned earlier, is 100% charged.
:) Just try to re-calibrate battery
* Steps from Acer website
Calibrating your battery helps get a proper reading on your current battery charge. If your battery is dying before the reported time given in Windows, it could be that you need to calibrate your battery.

Use the following steps to to re-calibrate the battery:

Turn the notebook or netbook off. Plug in your AC adapter.
Let the unit fully charge, until the battery LED turns off.
Turn on the computer and press the F8 key repeatedly when the first logo screen appears.
In the Windows Advanced Startup menu, select Safe Mode and press the ENTER key.
Unplug the unit and let the computer run on battery until it shuts down.
Note: The process to re-calibrate your battery can take several hours, depending on the battery lifetime and age, and the configuration of your system.

candle

TP,
1. Take out your battery,
2. check it with a multimeter if it has some voltage?
3. Test the battery with a ~ 19V test Bulb if it is taking load.

This will ensure the condition of battery.

Now again power on your laptop ( using your battery and charger ). Check the properties of your battery from device manager. Update / reinstall your battery driver.

check if it helps.

TP,
1. Take out your battery,
2. check it with a multimeter if it has some voltage?
3. Test the battery with a ~ 19V test Bulb if it is taking load.

This will ensure the condition of battery.

Now again power on your laptop ( using your battery and charger ). Check the properties of your battery from device manager. Update / reinstall your battery driver.

check if it helps.
Didn't test the battery with a multimeter, but did remove it, clean and re-insert. Also, removed the driver from the "Device Manager" - Microsoft ACPI compliant control method battery - and reinstalled.

Now Acer community says that my original battery may be defective.

The latest position is that the battery is showing "0%, plugged in, charging" continuously, ever after 1 hour of charging.

Contra

From: http://ccm.net/forum/affich-682178-my-acer-laptop-shut-downs-whenever-the-power-chord-is-unplugged

1. Disconnect all peripherals and confirm if system is working fine with AC Adapter only.
2. Remove AC adapter, Battery and press and hold the power button for 10-15 seconds to drain flea power. Put the battery and AC adapter back and check if it works normally. If not follow next step.
3. Check the AC Adapter status in the BIOS. If AC Adapter status shows Unknown / Not Detected try another AC adapter.
4. Try charging the battery with the notebook turned off.
5. Try doing BIOS Update (NOTE: Plug your computer to a good, working UPS before you update the BIOS. If you experience a loss of AC power or a significant voltage sag/spike during the BIOS flash, you will either have to buy a new BIOS chip or buy a new motherboard)
6. Try swapping with a known good battery (If available). If known good battery works, Replace faulty battery.
7. For battery performance issues, Run MS Fix - It. You can find the MS Fix - It from the below mentioned link:
http://support.microsoft.com/mats/windows_battery_power_settings/en-us