How to survive the bearish market ?

I think you can check the Beta value of the stock when you are sure that the market has turned into Intermediate or Long term Bear Market.

"Beta" indicates the proportion of the yield of a portfolio to the yield of the entire market (as indicated by some index). If there is an increase in the yield of the market, the yield of the individual portfolio may also go up. If the index goes up by 1.5% and the yield of your portfolio goes up by 0.9%, the beta is 0.9/1.5 i.e 0.6. in other words, beta indicates that for every 1 % increase in the market yield, the yield of the portfolio goes up by 0.6%. High beta shares do move higher than the market when the market rises and the yield of the fund declines more than the yield of the market when the market falls. In the Indian context a beta of 1.2% is considered very bullish.

If you really want to do short selling in Bear market, then look for stocks with high beta value, as they will yield more as explained above.

Regards,
a$h.investor

I think you can check the Beta value of the stock when you are sure that the market has turned into Intermediate or Long term Bear Market.

"A beta for a stock is derived from historical data. This means it has no predictive value for the future,....." Source:icicidirect.com

* Every day change in beta for a particular script will be very low, right?
* From where can we find the beta value of each script? I googled NSE, but couldn't get.

Thanks,
Praveen.

sudoku1

as an invstr ,2 survive in this mkt i 2 stay away till confirmation & cofidence returns...
the dangerous part where invstrs go wrong & frustrate is AVERAGING...

NEVER EVER AVERAGE A STOCK IN A BEAR MKT....
it has the potential 2 average a invstr 2 a cut size:eek:

H

hanumanji

SEBI should allow retail to Short Sell & hold for atleast a week on 'Loaned Scrips' so even after A/C ing the cost of borrowing & brokerages retail (who is averse with F & O)can participate and earn.
Well said sirji:):p