How far can you get with just one trade a day?

Everyone wants a trading strategy that allows you you to make 1 trade per day but still can beat the market. Here are I explore how you could make one.
I decided not to reinvent the wheel and just took highly popularized Gap & Go strategy. The gap & go strategy is looking for stocks gap up from the previous days close price. The goal is to identify a gap and then follow it. I’m using biotech stocks as they tend to have higher volatility comparing to other industries. Below is is the ideal setup I'm looking for...

Ideal Setup.png

Screening Criteria
  • Biotech Equities (I’m using iShares Biotechnology ETF $IBB as a list)
  • Up in the morning 3% or more
  • Are above pre-market high and yesterday’s high
Enter Criteria (when to open a position)
  • Stock price is above EMA 9
  • Stock is going up and EMA 9 is going
Exit Criteria(when to close a position)
  • Price crosses below EMA 9 and stays there for 3 bars
  • End of the same day
  • Or by a trailing stop loss of 1.0%
Conditions
  • $10,000 trading capital
  • Do not trade early close days
  • Only one trade per day
  • If no equities meet the screening or entry criteria, do not trade
The Results: +58% gain over one year
Profit $5,801.4 | Wins 48 | Losses 49

Looks pretty decent but I think that’s just the beginning as I’m going to improve it even further with maybe looking at overall market conditions like SPY behavior and alike or news.

2021 Results.png

Last edited:
Like everything in our world this strategy is not guaranteed to always work - make your own decisions when trading. Let me know how you would improve the approach and what you may do differently. Once the correction is over I'm looking to trading this strategy via a bot.

There are plenty of strategies which imply one trade per day. The only thing is that you need to be patient and attentive while analyzing the market.