How do professional trading firm train their traders ?

cloudTrader

My preferred approach would be to trade in such a way so as to make returns at regular frequency. For e.g. Quarterly (5 to 10%), Monthly (2 to 5%) or even daily.

[If I wanted to invest & hold for long term (years), it would not be a "full-time dedicated professional trading/investing" I guess]

So, pls suggest.
If you are a complete beginner , start with Books written by Alexander Elder. Two primary books by him are Come into My Trading Room and the second one is The New Trading For A Living .

These books have extensive information for a wannabe trader.

If you are a complete beginner , start with Books written by Alexander Elder. Two primary books by him are Come into My Trading Room and the second one is The New Trading For A Living .

These books have extensive information for a wannabe trader.
Thanks. Aren't there any Indian sources? Don't mean to belittle these books, but it seems that reading them will be like reading "computer fundamentals" when one wants to learn "c programming". It would be good if there are some professional (individual or institutes) who give a 3/6/12 month course or training (e.g. an institute which trains for "NSE certification on future trading"). After which the individual is on his/her own.

cloudTrader

Thanks. Aren't there any Indian sources? Don't mean to belittle these books, but it seems that reading them will be like reading "computer fundamentals" when one wants to learn "c programming". It would be good if there are some professional (individual or institutes) who give a 3/6/12 month course or training (e.g. an institute which trains for "NSE certification on future trading"). After which the individual is on his/her own.
Unfortunately I have not met any individual who is a good trader & giving credit to certifications for his/her success. Certifications can be the What, Where, When , Why of the trading world but How needs special respect which I feel professional traders will be able to deliver.

You need to have a disciplined approach when it comes to day trading. Day trading cannot be learnt in a day, its a continous process, and only practice will make you perfect. Books will surely add to your knowledge, but still you will have to take the risk to succeed. Before you go ahead with day trading, here are a few mistakes that you should avoid
Mistakes To Avoid To Get Maximum Profit from Online Equity Trading-
1. No Plan
Buying stocks expecting higher profit without a well laid plan only leads to losses in the long-run. Traders must analyse the fundamentals of the company, right time to sell the purchased stock, the target price and stop losses, beforehand.

2. Inconsistent Trading Pattern
Another secret to success in stock trading is adopting an appropriate trading pattern and adhering to it in each trade execution. To find out if a method is right, traders can execute many trades at a time following a single pattern and see whether they gain or lose their money. That way traders can find ways to improve their trading strategy.

3. Price Rose Much, May Not Go Up Further
Following this wrong notion, a lot of traders end up selling stocks that they have purchased at a specific price. But the fact is, stock market is always moving somewhere and no one can have a single speculation on the price. Wise strategy would be to analyse a stock in terms of the nature of the company, valuation, future growth prospects etc.

4. Price Fell Too Much, May Not Fall Further
Retail traders tend to believe when a stock see a steep fall, the price may not correct any further. With this belief, traders choose to purchase the stock. However, stocks can get corrected to any level when the market fundamentals go wrong.

5. Trying To Catch The Top & Bottom
We cannot guess at what level a stock would make a top or bottom. Retail traders should determine the value and target price of a stock and buy it within 5% to 10% range of their estimated buy price.

6. Fail To Cut Losses
Many traders falls pray to this mistake wherein they ignore to cut their losses when a trade fails to generate expected returns. When this happens, such traders tend to hope that the market eventually goes back in their favor to prove they are right.

7. Taking Early Profits
One should exit his/her trades only when the time is right and at their exit signal only. Nevertheless, traders always must have a long-term investment horizon if a stock is good and promising.

8. To Have Bullish/Bearish Opinion
Many traders tend to have their own bullish or bearish opinion on the stocks they own. However, such opinions may or may not be correct as it extensively depends on market fundamentals.

9. To Have Blind Faith On Advisor
The primary job of investment advisors and fund managers are to guide their clients. But it is not guaranteed that they would always be right on their views. Traders are required to hold their own conviction over trades they want to execute.

Last edited by a moderator:
Unfortunately I have not met any individual who is a good trader & giving credit to certifications for his/her success. Certifications can be the What, Where, When , Why of the trading world but How needs special respect which I feel professional traders will be able to deliver.
I agree. Reading books can help one to increase theoretical knowledge & get certifications.

"How" knowledge can be by gained only by jumping into the swimming pool, by getting associated/trained/supervised/bombarded/crash-coursed etc directly by professional traders. This approach may equip the trader with enough knowledge in few weeks (or months) such that he/she can further learn & evolve by himself/herself (including reading books for advanced knowledge). It appears that all experienced traders are busy making money for themselves and not a single one is selling this approach. Right or wrong?

Pradeep Narayan

In trading most of your time will be spent on studying & following someone's idea. The intent is not to master everything under the sun, but to remove everything that does not suit you.

trump

1. Screen time
2.Analysis and test ideas
3.Test the system in real time for robustness
4.Slowly discard out mistakes
5.Discipline and commitment with the system
There are few good books out there where one can pickup ideas about entry,exits,money management etc, but major part is trader's own experience, everyone can shiw the path, but the trader has to walk the path, not difficult but certainly not a cake walk either.A clear written/coded system is best, it helps the trader not to stray out from the path, observe a variety of markets, different scrips, how money flows in and out etc.try cash segment first with little amount, scaling up can be done later.Every trading day is different, so also every traders approach and understanding, like some trends last , some immediately fade out, question is why and how, many reliable patterns fail, some days are like that, everything fails, its a steep learning curve, mkt is the best teacher as I know till date.my two cents.cheerios and gud luck.